Babies on the Brain

When to start TTC New job as a teacher

I will try to make this as short as possible.  I will be moving across country this summer for my husband's job.  Therefore I must also start looking for a new job as a teacher.  However, we want to start a family.  We have put it off the last couple of years and now we are ready.  I am worried though about becoming pregnant during my first year of teaching at a new school.  But I also don't know if I want to put off having a baby for another year since we have already been waiting and we want to have two children. 

Any advice from other women who have been in this type of situation with choosing a new job over starting a family.  I have looked at other boards with similar questions and most everyone says to wait.  The reason I am hesitant is because we have been waiting and if we wait another year I will be in my 30's  and there is always the chance that we won't get lucky with getting pregnant right away.  Time just seems to add up. 

Thank you for your input!

Re: When to start TTC New job as a teacher

• A few questions first:
    • Do you plan on working after you have your child? 
    • Can you afford to take time off if your job doesn't provide paid maternity leave?
    Depending on your answers, I would encourage you to wait at least a few months mainly because you won't know what benefits (health insurance or maternity) you will have until you get a job. That could have a huge impact on your finances/situation.

• I'm not a teacher, but at my job I had to be employed for a year before I could have the option of FMLA. Might be something to consider...
    It may depend on your contract too.

Try conceiving so you give birth on summer break? That might make it easier...
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a teacher so I totally understand not wanting to be pregnant at a new school. I think this is just more of a personal choice. You have to decide which one would bother your more, being pregnant at a new school or not being pregnant and having terrible baby fever. I'm a huge believer in the idea that the timing for a baby is never perfect and if you and your husband feel ready I would go for it. The job situation will work itself out.
  • I'm in a similar situation interviewing for a new job. We were going to ttc our second baby this coming week, but will have to hold off. If I get this new job we will need to wait at least 4 months after I start before we can ttc. I want to qualify for fmla---so I need to be with the new company for at least 12 months.

Keep in mind that 30 isn't old. I will probably be 31, almost 32 when I have my second kid and we still might have another one after that.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am a teacher too and I am only on my 3rd cycle of charting since being off BCP and so far i dont even think i am ovulating :( I am turning 30 this year and hope to get pregnant in september in hopes to give birth just as summer break starts.
    I am not in a rush to get pregnant because i am turning 30 but because having kids now is more of a priority for me personally now, than building my career. I want to build my family now simply because I will always be a teacher. I think having the full benefits and then working would definitely be a big plus but not having it, also shouldnt be a deterrent. Does that make sense? You should decide if you are ready to TTC outside of those benefits. They should be a plus and not a condition of why you are TTC- in my opinion.
  • Hello! I was a TA and a TSS for a private school. A week before I had my interview, I found out I was pregnant. After a few months, I told the school I was expecting. I was not qualified for maternity leave because I had not worked there for a full year. However, I showed them I was dedicated to my work and the students, and I requested 8 weeks maternity leave, and my request was granted. It was unpaid, but at least I had a job to go back to. Doesn't hurt to ask. If the school sees that you are hard- working, they may not want to loose you, as it may just be more beneficial to hold your job until you get back.
  • DD was a July baby. We got pregnant in October of my first year teaching. I don't have any regrets. :) I chose to stay home the first three weeks of the following school year and my school was totally supportive of it. She was 8 weeks when I went back to work.

The following school year, DS was born in January. I took 7 weeks off and enjoyed every minute of leave. With teaching at a small school and only teaching for a few years, I didn't have a huge stash of sick days to use for my leave (about 17). After that, the sub pay came out of my paycheck, but due to FMLA, I didn't lose my benefits or anything like that. We have Aflac and that helped to balance out my sub pay and we came out ahead in the long run.

Do what you and your husband feel is right for you and your future family. There isn't ever a perfect time. There will always be something going on, but you have to put your family first. Good luck with everything!
  • My SIL (teacher) wanted am April baby do she could use her leave and have summer home with the LO. So that would mean TTC in July. It worked for SIL and she will be having a late April baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"