Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Giving baby water

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I'm just wondering when you started giving your baby water?  My daughter is 7.5 months old and I'm just wondering if I should start giving her water?  More so I'm thinking to start practicing with a zippy cup and not wanting to waste milk but should I wait for water? or is a little ok at this age?

Re: Giving baby water

• and by zippy cup i obviously meant sippy :)
  • CarriMatCarriMat member
    edited February 2015
    We introduced water to our little one (8 months) at the same time we introduced table food(5 months). At every meal that she has at home we give her a sippy cup with water. She doesn't drink much, but I feel like she will be able to ease into using a sippy cup and also be familiar with drinking water as it becomes more of an essential need. Some days she drinks an ounce, some days its a few sips, some days she just likes to throw it around and chew on the nipple, but at least it is there and familiar when she gets a little older and needs that water intake. Our pedi said at 6 months is a good time to start giving a couple of ounces of water a day. He also said water is not as important if they are still on breastmilk, but if on formula it is a good idea to introduce at 6 months. 
  • Loading the player...
  • One or two ounces to practice in a sippy. It should not replace breast milk or formula.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My 8.5mth old began drinking water at 6mths along with 'meals'. Meals meaning a bite here and there-he's still not very interested in solid food. He drinks a few sips here and there. I'd say btw 1 and 1.5oz a day.
  • My pedi at 6 months said we could start introducing water. I think she said 2-3 oz a day. He started to get the hang of the sippy cup after a couple weeks. But he mainly just wants to gnaw on them since he's teething so bad. But I give him a cup after dinner and he might drink at the most like 1oz. The sitter gives him a little during the day as well, but I think it's the same thing, he just wants to chew on it:) I am going to focus more on it starting next week. (he's 7 1/2 mo. currently)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was just given the go ahead at his 6 month appt. I was told to give 2-3 oz. in a sippy cup at a time to get him used to it but it's all just practice right now.
  • I started giving water in a sippy when he started on solids a few weeks ago. I saw a 2 month old baby at a baby club being given cooled boiled water in a bottle and it made me feel bad because it never occurred to me to give water before weaning began but now I have read these replies I feel much better :) thanks ladies!