Los Angeles Babies
Options

Rant: Be Aware Pasadena Mom's for Dr Leung

Background...my OBGYN (Dr Leung) had mixed reviews on internet, mostly she's straight out, direct, and fast during appointments.  The pros is some ppl liked that and cons some ppl found her rude.  We took our chances since it was close to the hospital we wanted and thought it cant be that bad! Ok at this last 35 wk appointment, I learned it could be AS BAD! Basically OBGYN comes in room...reads my chart, and says "I'm really not happy with you right now.  You've gained 48 Lbs...but its weird, your healthy, no high blood pressure, sugar levels good, and all your test come back fine? Doesnt make sense."  I look at my DH and wonder so whats the problem? She than opens her dumb mouth and says the 2 things I HATE!!!! "You know you are HUGE! Are you sure there arent twins in there?" To which I think you f'n b-you-know-what the ONLY ppl that should know if I am having twins or not would be you (my OBGYN) and myself!!! But for whatever reason I stay quiet, I think I was in shock.  I smile and say "Nope, just one baby.  But I'm glad to hear we are healthy."  She than goes on to say baby is healthy but his tummy is measuring 2 weeks ahead of schedule, and he can be 6-8Lbs right now.  I ask is that ok, she responds "YES but thats a BIG baby.  We may need to induce or do c-section for such a BIG baby".  WHich I have made it clear those two procedures are for emergency purposes only and not just because he might be big! I felt horrible and I knew at that moment she had already put me in the "c-section" category, no matter what the next weeks will bring.  Mind you as 5 minute appointment ended, she said "you should just eat fruits and veggies". I'm like really?? I am healthy, my baby is healthy, and you are giving me this crappy recommendation which has no balance in healthy foods.  I also thought if there was a REAL concern, she would of actually put me on a strict diet plan, had me tested, had me come in sooner than our next scheduled appointment, etc...but no she just wanted to say what she said.  Of course I walked out scared, crying, and thinking I'm screwed because she is gonna cut me no matter what. 

My husband tries to console me by saying ok we need to come up with a game plan to beat this woman's plan.  I'm like I shouldnt have to figure out a way to beat my OBGYN!!! So after I decide to call my doula and explain recent appointment.  Thank god I have her because she told me, you know you will probably have a better shot at natural birth with a total stranger than this woman who obviously doesnt know professionally deal with women who gain weight but are healthy.  I honestly felt like she mostly unprofessional to say to a pregnant woman "you are huge...are you having twins"!! Like if she is like this now, I cant imagine she will be comforting or supportive during labor.  So I called my insurance and primary doctor, who as soon as I say I want to change my OBGYN and he ask for name, begins to giggle. YES giggle.  I say thats exactly why I need to change asap because I havent even told you what she has done or why I need to change and it seems you might already know why!! So with 28 days I got a new referral, new OBGYN, and new hospital to deliver at, which might not seem the best but I'm so as ease now knowing I get a fair chance at natural birth and medical interventions if needed ONLY.  I swear some ppl just want to cut you, and have their own category of what your birth will look like.  I swear if I get the "we'll need to have a intervention because blah blah" than I'm fine with it.  But at 35 weeks discussing induction, c-section, and than saying I'm completely healthy and baby doesnt match. 

Now to have to call my old OBGYN and get a release of medical records is my last hump to get over.  Kinda nervous, feels like a text break up. BUT a good one!I wish I would of listened to reviews earlier and known better.  So take this for an informative recent experience with her as a OBGYN. 
Our journey together down this new path BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Rant: Be Aware Pasadena Mom's for Dr Leung

• Options
    I had Dr Grady for my first baby, and he was wonderful. This time around I have Kaiser insurance, so we won't be able to go to him. Sad about that.
  • Options
    Is Dr. Grady in Pasadena?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Which hospital do you want to deliver at? Between Huntington Hospital, Arcadia Methodist, and Good Samaritan, there a few good doctors.
  • Options
    Dr. Grady was horrible. My daughter came at 23 weeks due to his cavalier ways. He cleared me from bedrest without even checking me. 48 hours later I was in labor. Stay away from him. I fear that he did not learn his lesson.
  • Options
    I guess it's a hit or miss with her, I have delivered with Dr. Leung last year and everything came out exactly how I wanted. She did tell me I was over weight at my first appointment and to not get carried away with eating for two and I liked that she's always been frank with me. I am a big women so I knew I'd had to pay close attention with my pregnancies to begin with. It's horrible that she was so rude to you but like I said I've heard its either a hit or miss with her. I actually love her and her approach, saved me time and had everything my way in the delivery room. Her staff can grow some manners though!
  • Options
    I had a bad experience win dr Leung and staff!! Ex. Can you fax me something needed by my hr dept? 3 days later. "I tried twice and it was busy and I don't really want to keep trying can you pick it up". Disgusting. I work in an office an have to complete faxes everyday. Plus I felt like cattle when I was there. And she does too many ultra sounds. Wow! I don't know I was so resentful until right now. Maybe it's hormones
    Just switched to dr parks and wanted to hug her after our first app.
  • Options
    Good for you for transferring care! Your opinion about not being induced or having a cesarean for a suspected big baby is supported by Dr Leung's professional organization, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). By the way when did 8 lbs start being classified as a "big" baby?! Tell that to the Moms who push out 9 and 10 pounders. I'd head down the street to South Pasadena and deliver at the birth center. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"