Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Getting my 10 mth old to sleep in her crib

My LO is going to be 10 months old this week. I have been a SAHM since she was born, but I will be going back to work this coming week, and she willbe coming with me to the pre-school I will work at. We co-sleep and it has worked so far because when she has been sick, I've felt much better about having her close to make sure she's ok. But now I'm faced with the dilema of going back to work and wanting to make sure that all of us get a good night's sleep/ We've always had a night time routine, and that has worked to calm her down and get her ready for bed. I nurse her, and she falls asleep, and then I put her in her crib, but wakes up within the hour, two at most. It breaks my heart to hear her cry and it sounds like she's hurting (I know she's just doing it to get out of the crib, but it just breaks my heart). What other methods have worked for other parents, I know it's going to take some time and consistency, but I just want to hear everyone's success stories.

Re: Getting my 10 mth old to sleep in her crib

• Options
    I'm in the same boat except my lo is used to the rnp. Can't wait to see the advice!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My guy has been in his crib since 6 months & he wakes up 30 mins - 1 hr too. It's just them waking up from a sleep cycle. It sucks but you'll get thru it. You could try a sound machine?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sleep regression is my issue....he will be 9 months on the 5th and he used to ask to go in his crib like clock work at 9pm. Ye will go on his own now 8-9pm, but wakes 12-1ish and wants to sleep with me. Hoping it's from his teething. When I use the cool mist humidifier he goes longer stretches

• Options
    Not much advice. We had the standing/walking/crawling sleep regression starting NYE. Then that went straight into getting 2 molars right now.
  • Options
    Mine sometimes wakes up after the first sleep cycle (so one hour or 2 after bedtime). I go in, keeps the lights low and rock him back to sleep then put him back in the crib. On some nights it might take 2-3 times of putting him back in the crib/rocking. Just stay consistent with whatever method you choose so she doesnt get confused. Sometimes my DH has better luck rocking him and putting him down.

Also if you are going back to work don't be surprised if she reverse cycles for the first month adjusting to the new schedule.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

My daughter wakes after her first sleep cycle...I just rock her for a minute and she goes back to sleep.  Sometimes she wakes after the next sleep cycle...sometimes she keeps on sleeping.  Try to set up a routine to use when she wakes so she will get used to going right back to sleep. 

As the PP said starting daycare, even with you there, will likely throw previous sleep routines out the window.  Expect to start over with a new routine with more wake ups etc.  There is so much going on at this age in regards to physical and brain development when you add group care, more stimulation and more exposure to illnesses then sleep is bound to go wonky!!

• Options
    i don't understand, cause you started off saying you co-sleep but then said you have your routine then put her in crib.  if your baby is used to waking up after a sleep cycle and getting rocked or going into your bed, it seems to me you are replacing one bad habit with another. you said it sounds like she's hurting, so i assume it's full on crying and not just fussing. if she wakes up and is just fussing, leave her, and let her learn to go back to sleep on her own. if she wakes up in her crib and you bring her into your bed every night, and you want to break that habit, you are probably going to have to withstand some crying and be consistent. otherwise she's learning that if she cries hard enough you will bring her into your bed. if that unsettles you, you may have to just continue co-sleeping. maybe read a book like no cry sleep solution or sleep lady shuffle, which i think are both non-CIO sleep books. good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Once my son started sprouting teeth and crawling, he did not sleep through the night in his crib.  He'll sleep through the night (9 pm to 7 am or so) if he co-sleeps with me, so that is what we are doing.  We did try some non CIO methods with our older kid, be he was the exact same way.  He started sleeping in his toddler bed consistently around 2 years 2 months, and I am OK with that being the case with our younger one as well. 

Oh, and I am a working mom who gets up at 4:30 to get ready, so I just make sure the pillow barricade is on my side of the bed when I get up so LO can't roll over and fall out while he spends the rest of his sleep with Dad. 

Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    We have a bed time routine, as in we shower, read a book and then nurse. She falls asleep and then I put her in her crib. Now she gets up from her bed and walks into our room since we converted her crib into a toddler bed. and still no luck, I'm currently not working so I'm going to take this time to get her to sleep in her bed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"