March 2015 Moms

Uncomfortable Sleeping

Hi! I'm 32 weeks and this is my first kid. I'm having such a hard time at night trying to go to sleep. I know I'm not supposed to lay on my back so I lay on my side but no matter which side it is she starts putting pressure on that side and it hurts! She's always moving around as soon as night hits and she kicks and pushes and I can't get comfortable. I tried pillows to help but when she's pushing on the side that's on the pillow the pressure makes it super uncomfortable.
How do I make it easier to sleep or calm her down so I can sleep? Desperate need of help! I'm sick of going to work dead tired.
Thank you!!

Re: Uncomfortable Sleeping

• I swear by my body pillow. It's one of those curved ones, so I tend to just wrap my arms around it, and have it between my knees and feet to give my hips some space. I can't put anything under the side of my belly either, or it pushes to much.
    Maybe try gentle walking around the house or swaying your hips to "rock" baby to sleep? Not sure, my babe's wake cycle is also when I'm trying to sleep. As if it wasn't exhausting enough just to be pregnant...
  • I resorted to sleeping in our recliner during my last pregnancy. :/ This time around it really just sucks no matter what. I toss and turn all night. So many people swear by getting an actual maternity pillow versus just regular pillows, but I haven't found it very comfortable.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh yeah--I slept on the couch for the last month or so of my first pregnancy. Something about the incline (with my head on the arm) and the length of the cushions were perfectly ergonomically and minimized my acid reflux.
  • I sleep on the couch and I prop up my top knee to rotate my pelvis a little and take some of the pressure off my belly.
  • I'm going through the same thing! Hoisting my belly from left to right sides is a major feat of energy and strain on my back. I've taken to snoozing on the couch, or propping pillows all around me in bed sleeping at a slight incline. My doc said it was also ok to take melatonin to get to sleep. Good Luck!
  • I haven't figured this one out yet, but if you do please let me know!!! I can never fall asleep at night.
  • I stack a load of pillows behind my back and one supporting my lower back, so I'm reclined as though I'm in a hospital bed almost! It's the only way it works (I'm usually a front sleeper, and side-sleeping is giving me the same problems)
  • I still do not sleep that great, but sleeping on my sides gets really uncomfortable so much so that I wake up on my back a lot of times. I asked my OB about this a few weeks ago, and her response was that it isn't a big deal. Pregnant people have slept on their backs for centuries w/o issues... Not to say you should all the time but for me by alternating between sleeping on my back and my sides gives me some relief!!
  • I live for my body pillow! It has been a saving grace! Worth every penny. Some nights are just hard though so I usually rest on our recliner with a few pillows under my feet. I don't think there's much to do about the pressure though. I feel it a lot myself and usually just flip back and forth until I can get comfortable enough.
  • I have been on the couch for the last two weeks...it's not great but better than the bed. I have 3 pillows and a body pillow all strategically placed to keep me propped and supported. Getting up to use the bathroom every hour is a pain with all those pillows, but I usually take that as an opportunity to reposition myself.
  • I'm on the same boat so sleep deprived I feel I'm brain fried the whole day :(
    But in my case it's all of these reasons and insomnia
  • I use a snoogle, which helps...the last few days has been uncomfortable though. Im exhausted, so I sleep pretty well, but wake up in pain.
  • Sharing similar thoughts to many of you ladies that have already commented. This is my 2nd and I don't remember not being able to sleep first time. Also baby seems to be at most active when I'm trying to sleep. Just keep telling myself it's not forever and it's practice for what's to come! Also remind myself how lucky I am to be complaining about this when there are many woman suffering much more than me or even worse haven't got this opportunity to feel this at all. Good luck and I think it's a case of just grabbing what opportunities for sleep you can
  • Agreed! We are fortunate ❤️
    My only complaint is that crazy lack of energy on the other day...
  • Benadryl works wonders
  • I feel like my nose is raw every morning and I can only assume it's from snoring like a beast. My husband has even started sleeping on the couch.
  • Yup same here can't get comfortable at all, wake up every couple hours to reposition myself. My back is killing me. It's weird though I think my guy is sleeping when I am mostly but it's the bump that is giving me a hard time. Body pillow does help a little.
  • Yes I am getting to that point where I am just so uncomfortable at night. My poor husband has to deal with me being so dramatic and shifting around all through the night. I feel bad but it literally takes all my energy to toss and turn until I get comfortable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"