September 2015 Moms
Options

First ultrasound/no fetus/I'm scared!

babybabykybabybabyky member
edited February 2015 in September 2015 Moms
I went for my first ultrasound today. I got pregnant during my first cycle after the pill, but going by my last period, I'm 7w 3 days. On 1/15 I got a bfp with a weeks indicator, which said 1-2 wks.

She tried to find a heartbeat, but couldn't. She decided to do a transvaginal ultrasound to show me the heart beat, but all she saw was the yolk sac. No fetus. She said I must be 5 weeks. That, or I'm going to miscarry. She scheduled a "viability ultrasound" for next Wednesday, and said if there's nothing at that point, I can wait another week or consider a d&c. I was crying the second I got out of the office. So scared. Any thoughts? Need some reassurance.

Re: First ultrasound/no fetus/I'm scared!

• Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this. Really hope your next visit is a happy one. FX for you! Keep us updated
  • Options
    Keeping you in my prayers x
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry you're going through this. You're in my thoughts and prayers
  • Options
    Baby is too small remember ultrasound is a guide. Easier said than done but try not to worry. Sac and yolk is normal...
  • Options
    pregat40 said:

Baby is too small remember ultrasound is a guide. Easier said than done but try not to worry. Sac and yolk is normal...

Thank you. :) I hope I'm really just 5 weeks.
  • Options
    Prayers to you and baby!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Some thing happened top me yesterday...they only saw sac....no pole or heartbeart...i was devastated...they did take sac is the size of 4 or 5 weeks which i though i was almost 7...so i had bloodwork yesterday and repeat ultrasound next Thursday...so im right there with you...as hard as it is try to stay positive
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I just posted about all this last week I was a wreck! I was also 6w and they only saw sac but no fetal pole with internal u/s. I was devastated, went back 2 days later and saw sac, fetal pole and heard the heartbeat! It's just really really early and they also saw small blood clot so I was advised to be on "pelvic rest" until the 12 week u/s. So no nookie, just have to wait another 5 weeks to see the peanut and hopefully all is good!!!!! Sending thoughts and prayers that it's just too small to see right now!
  • Options
    Good luck!  You are still early so it is possible that your baby just didn't show up on the ultrasound.  That's kind of the problem with having technology, sometimes it makes us worry over nothing.  I hope that is the case for you!
  • Options
    candace3308candace3308 member
    edited February 2015
    I went to my first sonogram when I was supposed to be 6 weeks, they just saw a sac so they pushed me back to 4 weeks. I went for another sonogram this week at 8 weeks and they saw a fetus and a heartbeat! They said I was 9 weeks. I've had 3 due dates and they've finally settled on a date. Hang in there, it's tough only seeing the sac but usually it's just because it's too early. I wish you the best.
  • Options
    I'm sure it will all work out :) keep in there
  • Options
    I really hope you are just 5 weeks too. At my 6w5d appointment we only saw yolk sac, but then at 7w5d saw a peanut with a heartbeat of 130! So, my thoughts and prayers are with you that things will be okay. ((Hugs!!))

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for you! Praying for good news at your next visit.
  • Options
    FX that you get good news at your next appointment! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for all the kind words everybody. It really helps.
  • Options
    Hang in there!! Prayers for you

33 years old, Married Oct '11,

Summer '14: Diagosed with hypothryoidism, pollup, LPD, Low AMH, strong FSH.

BFP: 1/22/15. EDD: 9/23/14. Rainbow baby!

• Options
    Hang in there , prayers to you and your peanut
  • Options
    Big hug!  This has happened to me twice... First with my now 8 year old which was around the 7 week mark too... and last week when we when to have a keepsake dating scan done(I'm due Sept 22) with the u/s last week First the lady told us she could only see a sac and yolk... we asked her to keep looking... then my husband pointed out a fetal pole but she said baby had no heart beat measured that and wanted to call it a day... when my husband pointed out a heart beat  and she measured again and came up with 1mm difference from her first measurements...An Ultrasound is only as good as the tech...Will lift u up in prayer...
  • Options
    This just happened to me.

We went to our Dr , had an ultrasound and saw only an empty gestational sac, no yolk/embryo/heartbeat.
    Dr said in only 5w3d and told me to come back in 2 weeks, he also discussed the possibility of a blighted ovum.

That was the longest 2 weeks in my life, i just got back from my scan 2 weeks later and we saw our little baby, we saw and heard its little heartbeat and everything is perfect!

Just wait it out, you might not be as far as you think you are.
  • Options
    I went for my first appt yesterday and they performed an ultrasound in the office. The dr said he could see a sac but couldn't tell if there was anything in it because it's still so early. Going by my dating I'd be 7wks 3days yesterday. He ordered blood work to check my beta and the nurse called with my results. She said that my levels were substantially high and they were ordering me to have an ultrasound done by the radiologist next Friday. I asked for curiosity what my levels were at and she said 92,000. When I asked her if that could potentially mean multiples she said "I'm not saying anything more. We just need to get you in for that ultrasound next week to make sure that everything is alright." What does that mean?! I thought for 7-8 weeks pregnant that 92,000 is good. I'm a ftm
  • Options
    Hi I'm meant to be 6w 4d. I had my second scan today and the doctor said she couldn't see a fetus yet, just a sac of 7mm. How big was your sac at 6weeks? I'm hoping that in one week I will see something but I'm already really scared. I was going back to England to tell my family but now I will have to keep the news to myself when I'm there, very difficult as just an hour ago I was a happy pregnant fiancé :(
  • Options
    The dr didn't tell me my measurements. I hope that we each get a healthy little bean in our next scans.
  • Options

Hi I'm meant to be 6w 4d. I had my second scan today and the doctor said she couldn't see a fetus yet, just a sac of 7mm. How big was your sac at 6weeks? I'm hoping that in one week I will see something but I'm already really scared. I was going back to England to tell my family but now I will have to keep the news to myself when I'm there, very difficult as just an hour ago I was a happy pregnant fiancé :(

Still be a happy pregnant fiance. Its very common in early pregnancy.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. Go back on Thursday for another US. To add insult to injury, I've learned my doctors office is terrible. Never received my HCG results from Monday despite calling multiple times. If it's still a viable pregnancy I need to find a new OB ASAP!
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    My doctor had us worried we were ectopic, because he couldn't see the baby at all using transvaginal US. No gestational sac, nothing. Then at the the end of the week, got a regular ultrasound (on belly), and they saw it clear as day just where it needed to be in my uterus. Who knows why he couldn't see it, but it was there. We measured 5 weeks 5 days in that ultrasound, no heartbeat, but we go back in at 9 weeks next week. I'm sure we will see or hear something then.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this. Remember you could have ovulated late, especially since you just got off the pill. My friend had this happen at 9 weeks. He and his wife went in for the u/s and found out they were only 7 weeks. (They just had a beautiful baby boy.) Hang in there!!
  • Options
    This happened to me....my dates were just off. Second ultrasound, we saw the heartbeat. My dates were technically not "wrong" ( I was sure about the date of my LMP), but off, meaning I ovulated later in the cycle than if I had a "regular" cycle.  I am now 10w6d. Hang in there - hoping you hear good news like that soon. 

SammyD

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

pregat40 said:

Thank you. :) I hope I'm really just 5 weeks.
    Youre welcome. Same thing happened to me two weeks ago...i go back friday for repeat. The fact I had to wait 2 whole weeks seemed so long so I prayed, read my bible and decided not to worry. And i always remember 22 years ago when I had my daughter I was post dates, I had a biophysical profile and they told me she was over 9 lbs because of the US. My baby was 6 lbs. If they can make that mistake for a completely developed baby, how much more so for a wee baby that is barely visible to the naked eye??? That's why they shouldn't do US this, early in pregnancy. It creates paranoia. I believe less is more.....your beam is fine and trying to get big so you can see. Be blessed.
  • Options
    This same thing is happening to me!! you are definitely not alone. I go back on Monday the 16th to get another scan done and we should definitely see something by then, my beta number is great and everything is great, no spotting, nothing to indicate any complications. Just hoping it was a little too early. Let us know how your appointment goes today! Keeping you in my prayers :)
  • Options
    @babybabyky‌ I went in yesterday and they found a sac and fetal pole...no activity, no fetus. I go in tomorrow for my 2nd hcg blood draw. My NP told me it didn't look good but not to lose hope yet. I am trying to stay positive but it is hard. I'm scared and devastated. I know what you're going through and i hope all turns out well for you! You are in my thoughts and try to stay positive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"