May 2015 Moms

Nice camera and/or camcorder a necessity?

So I am trying to decide if we should invest in a new camera and a new camcorder. Right now we solely use our iPhones and it works well for us. But, I love watching old baby videos of my husband and I feel like having a camcorder would be really important. And I feel like also as a parent I am going to want a better camera to document everything. But, I don't know if that will be money wasted. 

So second time moms, what do you think? Yay or nay to investing in a good camera and camcorder? Do you utilize them a lot if you have them? Or do you still mainly use your iPhone for everything?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Nice camera and/or camcorder a necessity?

• Im a first time mom and asked my mom to get me a camcorder for christmas because i felt the same way. If you're actually going to use iti think its a great idea! Everyone loves the memories :)
  • I bought a new camcorder before my first was born although honestly I haven't used it much. I just kind of forget about it. However, I recently got a new phone and have hardly any storage on it, so I've been using it quite a bit lately. And my husband bought me a new camera for Christmas a couple years ago and that gets a good workout. If you'll use it, then it's worth it.
  • Loading the player...
  • We bought a camera for our first but haven't used it as much since them. We mainly used our phones but then I lost all my pictures off my phone! I was so upset! We have iPhones now which I know backs everything up to cloud but I still bought a new camera last year that I have been using more. It has a video camera built in. I plan on using it more this year as well. I got mine one sale.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We bought a camcorder for our first, back before we had smart phones.  We didn't end up using it much, and we have a lot more videos since we've gotten our iphones.  I think if you have a smart phone, you'll record more on that because you have it with you.  Plus the quality of most phone's video is very good now.  

A couple of things I've learned is to get used to turning your phone landscape or horizontal or when you go to watch them on your computer/tv they will have the black bars on the sides.  Also, I got into the weekly-ish habit of transferring the videos to my computer and then also onto my external hard drive so I don't lose them.
  • I bought a DSLR right before my son turned one. I read a bunch of tutorials and taught myself how to use it. I so wish I would have gotten it earlier. I can't live without it. I'm glad I'll have it this time around from the beginning.

• I asked DH for a new camera for my Christmas present. I wanted something simple that could take video. I just didn't want to rely on my phone because I've had too many accidents with it in the past (washing machine, dropped in water, etc). The canon camera he got has a wifi feature that can send pics directly to my phone which I love.
  • I bought a DSLR camera not too long ago. The pictures that I take with my iPhone sometimes come out really bad and blurry. I have been trying to figure out how to use my new camera, which I'm finding kind of difficult. But the picture are just so much better. I would definitely recommend getting a good camera.
  • DH got me a nice Nikon for Christmas. I'm super excited and have been taking pictures with it non stop. Alothough it also records, we do have a camcorder as well. You don't want to miss out on these moments.
  • I'm getting a new camera before the baby is born. I love photography and am in need of an upgrade. I'm planning on getting a camera that does decent video and then use either the camera or my iPhone for video.
  • We got a Sony nex 6 when DS was a about a yr old. I wish we got it sooner! I love the size bc is not as large as a DSLR and light with all the functions. I used a Lomo when he was an infant and have some really nice photos. We also have one of those small flip video cameras. Those are a nice size that we can just throw in our bag.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mari621 I think that's what I am leaning towards. Something like a Sony Nex 6, with interchangeable lens, but more compact than other DSLRs. Does it take decent video too? Do you use your flip a lot? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You know I've never actually used it for video but I should. I take it out on outings. The flip is so small it is great for the diaper bag. Our nanny caught our son's first steps on it. Super easy to use. Recently we use the camera or our phones more.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you're looking at the Sony nex (I was looking at Sony alpha which is the newer next model), look at the Olympus em10 or pl7. They're similar cameras but Olympus has much better reviews.
  • If you're not into real photography outside of taking photos of your LO, I wouldn't bother with a DSLR. But a good point-and-shoot is probably worth the investment. They're compact, have a few settings, come with decent video, and will do the job nicely. Plus, you'll have a camera for general things as well.  Also, much cheaper!

focus on optical zoom, megapixels, HD video.
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

BABY NINJA!
  • JuliaRL, see that is what I was thinking. I am not into real photography, but I always think, well maybe it would be worth the investment and then someday I could take it up as a hobby (although that could be something I say, but never do). If I am spending a ton on a camera, I feel like I should get a DSLR (a ton of my friends are photographers and they all were be horrified to spend a ton on a point and shoot), but I kind of do like the convenience of a point and shoot, so I am torn...

Pretty much I am now deciding between point and shoot vs DSLR.

And I also like the Sony Alphas too, although my photography friends hate Sony, so yeah I have no clue what to get. I am going to look at a camera store maybe this weekend, and hopefully see which one feels right. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The Sony Rx Point and shoot is the top rated one (but is also as much as the alpha).
  • I would go with the Canon Powershot over the Sony camera, but that's just my opinion. I'm a Canon user.

Remember that when you get a DSLR it never just stops there. Your lenses should have IS (image stabilization) on them. never go for a cheaper lens that doesn't have IS.  It's always worth the higher cost. (fyi, the 18-55mm lens that comes with your camera does not have IS. the basic lens that comes with cameras rarely does). But if you do get another lens, anything like 50-250mm is a good zoom lens. Unless you're into crazy things like bird photography (like I am!) then you don't need anything higher than that. While Prime lenses offer better image quality overall, I find that they're A) prohibitively expensive, and B) mostly for professional photographers. Good zoom lenses are where its at. (and sigma lenses are awesome and a bit cheaper than the Canon/Nikon ones. just make sure they have IS!)

In my opinion, go for the Powershot. If you decide to take up photography at a later time, you can get the DSLR then, and the latest model. I, for example, when going out birdwatching, have my 500mm lens on my DSLR, and my point-and-shoot camera for anything else that pops up at the time so I don't have to switch lenses.

GOOD LUCK!

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

BABY NINJA!
  • We used our digital video recorder for the first birthday and first christmas and haven't used it since. I got a DSLR with DD1 but stopped using it while around the house after DD2 came around because my hands were too full, I was too afraid of it getting pulled down, and I had to run for it and I usually missed whatever cute thing was happening. But I always have my iphone on me so I capture the moments and can easily share them online, text to my family, etc.

I have been thinking that video clips are different than hours of footage. So I should probably figure out how to build montages :-) Though watching youtube continuous play of my videos provides hours of fun :-)

So I wouldn't drop the $700 of my own money on it. I'm glad it was a gift and that we have it for vacations, outings with my husband (more hands to hold everything!) and whatnot.

I wouldn't say it's a necessity, but it's nice to have.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"