Baby Showers
Options

Shower games

My SIL (husband's sister) was put in charge of shower games by the host of the shower. She basically said she wasn't girly enough to plan these games as well as she hates them and thinks everyone else does as well. She came to me after the fact and I spoon fed her ideas for games that aren't annoying as well as will get people interacting because not all of my friends and family know each other. I suggested a modified diaper raffle similar to a door prize. If people bring diapers or wipes or both without being asked, they get a ticket and can win a prize. Does this sound like its gift grabby?

Re: Shower games

• Options
    Yes. Diaper raffles are tacky anyway, but not letting your guests know that there will be one is even more tacky. It's like you are telling others that their gifts are not good enough to win a door prize.
  • Options
    Oh, ouch, yeah, I think that might come across funny. I think you should just stay out of it. Your SIL can just tell the hostess she's not down with games and the hostess can decide where to go from there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    VORVOR member

as well as will get people interacting because not all of my friends and family know each other

Just a general comment - your guests don't need to be forced to interact and if they don't know one another and don't WANT to necessarily know one another, that's o.k.  They are there for YOU, to celebrate YOU.

I'm not saying that people won't be social and make an effort, but at the same time - when I go to a shower, I don't go to meet new people.  I go to see the MTB and the people who I already know.  If I HAPPEN to talk to someone new and we hit it off, great.  I have no issue with that and I don't avoid it.  But I do NOT need a game to force me to socialize. 

• Options
    How exactly does a diaper raffle get people interacting?
    Yes diaper raffles are tacky a and gift grabby.
  • Options
    We didn't play any games at my shower, and I loved that. We did do an optional onesie station since most people I know are crafty. We had a little space where people could write encouraging words on a prayer flag for me, which I've hung in the nursery. We had a spot where you could tie a string around a candle and then take a matching bracelet, the idea being that guests will take off the bracelet after baby is born, and that I will light the candle when I start labor. But these things were all spread out and optional, so that people could choose to do them or not without feeling pressured.

It was a beautiful shower, everyone chatted and ate, we opened presents, and then after a little more visiting people started trickling out. I found it really refreshing not to be on a schedule but rather have a more organic flow.
  • Options
    I am not a fan of diaper raffles, but if you are giving them tickets without asking them or informing them of the diaper raffle, then I guess its better than the normal version. 

I don't see that game as being one to get people to interact though. If you want fun games to get people to socialize, I think there are many better ideas (guessing the size of mom's belly, blindfolded diaper changes, guess the baby photo). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think the 'guess the baby photo' game is a great way to get guests to interact and chat!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"