December 2014 Moms

Measles outbreak in Calif - any other moms worried?

We live in Alameda County in the Bay Area where six cases (and counting) of measles have been diagnosed — and 30 babies are under quarantine. Our DS will be two months this week, so he's too young for the vaccine and we basically aren't leaving the house other than to go to the doctor or for walks with the dog. Anyone else dealing with this? What are we supposed to do? Any body getting the vaccine early b/c of the outbreak? We have a pediatrician appointment next week for the two month shots, will discuss with her.  

Re: Measles outbreak in Calif - any other moms worried?

• We live in Alameda County in the Bay Area where six cases (and counting) of measles have been diagnosed — and 30 babies are under quarantine. Our DS will be two months this week, so he's too young for the vaccine and we basically aren't leaving the house other than to go to the doctor or for walks with the dog. Anyone else dealing with this? What are we supposed to do? Any body getting the vaccine early b/c of the outbreak? We have a pediatrician appointment next week for the two month shots, will discuss with her.  

If you are this freaked out and worried...then a call to your doctor (in advance of your appointment) would be warranted.

Test
  • I'm in the same worried boat. We've just been laying low, staying out of big crowded places. I may ask about the vaccine as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep I'm pretty freaked. I live in Orange County, where the whole Disneyland thing went down. Not awesome. I'm holding off from putting him in the daycare at church and just bringing him in to the little family room they have there. I'm also trying not to go out too much, but when I do, I keep him in the stroller covered or wear him in my Beco carrier. I don't think you can get the vaccine early? I asked my doc and he said he'll be getting it at 12mo. I've got an order in for some hand sanitizer and we've been washing our hands a lot. It's airborne though, so you've just got to be careful.
    Honestly, I've just been praying for my little guy. There's so many things to worry about. We've just got to do our best and leave it to God I think!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • We also live in Orange County. Try not to worry because it's still a tiny percentage of the population. The flu is a bigger threat. We keep him covered when we go out and wash/sanitize and hope this leads to a future with more vaccinated children! We probably won't be using our Disneyland passes soon though!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Agreed with pp, this is awful but I hope this gets more people (preferably all) to get vaccinated!!!
    EDD 12/3/14 First time Mom!

D14 Free for All

These two are just so funny...

Also, due date has come, gone and I am just so anxious to meet baby!  Please be healthy and strong baby, mama can't wait to meet you :)
  • Just FYI, you can still get measles if you are vaccinated. Half the people who got them in CA were already vaccinated. Don't give your child a vaccine early just out of fear. Do your research and ask your doctor. Fear based medical decisions are not usually the safest or the best.
  • I talked to my doctor this morning and if you get the measles with the vaccine the chance of complications are very small and you are not as contagious as those without the vaccine. If the outbreak gets worse, the CDC *might* advise parents of infants between 6 months and 12 months get the vaccine. But as of now, it's not necessary. 

This would not be a fear-based decision — it would be a precaution against a disease that is very dangerous to infants. The reason the CDC doesn't recommend the vaccine for kids before 12 months is the vaccine effects do not seem to take as well as they do after 12 months. My doctor regularly gives the MMR vaccine to kids between 6 - 12 months who are traveling overseas, the caveat being they have to get the vaccine again at 12 months because the effects don't tend to last that long at that age. 

• I talked to my doctor this morning and if you get the measles with the vaccine the chance of complications are very small and you are not as contagious as those without the vaccine. If the outbreak gets worse, the CDC *might* advise parents of infants between 6 months and 12 months get the vaccine. But as of now, it's not necessary. 

This would not be a fear-based decision — it would be a precaution against a disease that is very dangerous to infants. The reason the CDC doesn't recommend the vaccine for kids before 12 months is the vaccine effects do not seem to take as well as they do after 12 months. My doctor regularly gives the MMR vaccine to kids between 6 - 12 months who are traveling overseas, the caveat being they have to get the vaccine again at 12 months because the effects don't tend to last that long at that age. 

Here you go @MommyMoru‌

Test
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"