Two Under 2

Minivan Recommendation?

I looked back a few pages, and it's been a while since we had a minivan discussion. We are headed to 3u3 in February, so it's time for us to upgrade our sedan. Any minivan should fit our family for now, but there's a good chance we'll end up with 5u6 since we like the close spacing and want 4-5 kids. I'd hate to buy a minivan and outgrow it quickly. Does anyone have 5 kids in car seats and boosters in their minivan? What model do you have?
Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.

Re: Minivan Recommendation?

• We don't have a minivan (yet) still convincing DH to get rid of the suburban. But I will say with our current three in car seats (still pregnant with LO#4) we can fit all three Dionos across the backseat of a 2014 Ford Fiesta. So they should fit AMAZINGLY in the back of a minivan!!! We're done at 4 so a 6 seater van will work for us :) Congrats and Hope someone else has more insight on minivans!!
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • I love my Dodge Caravan. It handles well, gets great mileage, has great seating. I've got the 4 captains chairs rather than the two benches. With 3u3, I'd definitely check out the LATCH situation. My van is a 2002, but it only had two LATCH spots, both in the middle buckets, so my rear facers are in the middle and my 7 year old has to climb under their seats.

BUT. Newer models have LATCH on the back. With 3u3, you might do better with the two buckets in the middle, put one car seat in the middle, then remove the other seat entirely and have the other two car seats on the back bench. Them there's tons of room for you or your SO to climb in and buckle babies! I definitely recommend checking out the new van with all three car seats, and testing your desired configuration before signing on the line.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Loading the player...
  • I am due with #3 in March and will have 3 u 3. I am also still trying to convince do to buy a different vehicle since my sedan doesn't function well for 3 rear facing seats. I have borrowed 2 different vans, the 2013 town & country and 2012 odyssey. I love the stow n go in the t&c, I put 1 captian seat down so I could get in to buckle everyone in (I had extra kids with so 4u3 in car seats) this would also be nice in the winter months to put on jackets. In the odyssey I found it difficult to buckle in the 2 kids in the 3rd row, it would be better for kids that can buckle themselves in. Both drove nicely. I would recommend driving several and see how they work for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have a 2011 Honda Odyssey and its great! We only have 2 kids right now, but I know we can fit 3 across in our middle row. It has lower latch in 5 of the 6 rear seats and 6 top tether spots, so we can put a forward facing car seat in any spot. I know a lot of the vans we were looking at only had 3 top tethers so you would be limited as to where you can install seats.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks for the recommendations! We bought a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT yesterday. It only has 3 latch positions, so we will have to do seatbelt installs in some spots to get the configuration we want to use. I'm okay with that, so it will work great for up to four kids and should work for five.
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • love our 2012 odyssey.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I find myself needing the same advice, but I pose a few additional questions -

1) Is it even remotely possible to fit 3 carseats (one infant, one convertible, and one booster) in a row in a regulars SUV (FWIW I have a Ford Edge). It seems really tight.

2) Other than minivans, does anyone recommend another type of vehicle for those with 3 young ones? Like a SUV with a 3rd row?

Thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We just got a Toyota Sienna, really happy with it so far! Although I don't know anything about other minivans since our drive way necessitates AWD and that is the only one that offers it.
  • I just traded my SUV for a 2015 Odyssey and I am in love!!! I can't believe how wide the 2nd row is for 3 car seats and they don't have to be radians (although we love radians)!

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I was going to ask what Kajordan09 asked. I want an SUV instead of a van and we have 3u3 and just bought a couple dionos.
    Married 6.23.12
    Baby #1 5.10.13
    Baby #2 6.9.14
    Baby #3 EDD 10.1.15
    Life is good :)

• mek20 said:
    I was going to ask what Kajordan09 asked. I want an SUV instead of a van and we have 3u3 and just bought a couple dionos.
    We have 2 Dionos and a Chicco Keyfit across the back of my Ford Fusion, I think you would be fine in an SUV. It's tight, obviously, but they all fit. 
    image        image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"