Trouble TTC
Options

Accupuncture

My husband and I have been TTC for a year now, my periods are always very regular, I have been temping and using Opks and they are always pretty consistent with when I'm ovulating. My OB recommended I start doing yoga and seeing someone who does fertility acupuncture, because she thinks it's me stressing about getting pregnant that is preventing it from happening. Have any of you ever tried this, or heard of it being successful?
Thank's!

Re: Accupuncture

• Options
    If it's been a year or more since you've started TTC, it's time to see an RE. Acupuncture and yoga sound relaxing and all, but there is no clear link between either of those and increased fertility. Sounds like a classic OB statement, to be honest! I saw my old midwife, my regular OB, and a new OB after TTC for 1.5 years with no success... All three told me the same thing, to just relax, continue using OPKs, and just be patient. Lamest advice ever, I know now! I ditched my OB for an RE. You never know what types of roadblocks you're experiencing.

Anyway, of course yoga and acupuncture will be relaxing, but they are likely NOT your solution. Good luck!
    TTC since March 2013

HSG: Sept 2014, clear tubes

Dx: MFI - Low motility, morph, count (Aug. 2014); Hypothyroidism (May 2015)

Moved to IUIs October 2014

IUI #1 w/ injections:  Nov 2014- BFN

IUI #2 w/ injections:  Jan 2015- BFN

IUI #3.1 w/ injections:  Feb. 2015, cancelled due to cysts- 10 days BCP

IUI #3.2 w/ injections:  Feb/March 2015- BFN

IUI #4 w/ 100mg Clomid +  Injections:  August 2015- BFN

IUI #5 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  September 2015- BFN

IUI #6 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  October 2015 - Cancelled due low response

Moved to IVF May 2016 

Retrieved 18 eggs on 05/27/2016, 13 were ICSI'd, 9 made it to day-five transfer

Transferred 2 beautiful day-five embryos on 06/01/2016, froze 7

BFP 4dp5dt on 06/05/2016!  Line continued to darken beautifully!

EDD:  February 17, 2017

Beta #1:  92

Beta #2:  305 

Ultrasound #1 - one baby!

Ultrasound #2 - saw heartbeat!

LFAF Badges:

• Options
    I'm doing acupuncture and yoga now in anticipation of IVF. I love it. I have only been to 4 sessions of acupuncture so far but it has helped me immensely. My appetite is better, I'm sleeping better, my digestion is better. I have high hopes that it will work to improve my lining/blood flow and get my body in a better place to either conceive on my own or to help along with IVF. Acupuncture works even if it's the placebo effect. That being said I have been checked out thoroughly by an RE. I would also like to mention that as much as I HATE to hear "relax" ...especially from people in my life that don't understand the IF struggle, there is something to it.

ME:      36, on BC since 1996,  irregular periods.   HUBS:      37, healthy

2001—meet.  2005—marry.  2006—Furbaby is born. 

On BC till end of 2009.  2010 NTNP.   

New Year’s Eve 2010—BFP?! January 13, 2011—early loss, HCG peaked at 324, no D&C needed.

+++++

Feb 2011-Nov 2012—NTNP 

Dec 2012 --present (TTC 20 months) Not even a hint of a BFP

Me:  BW, U/S, HSG, HSN normal.  AMH 2.33.  Hubs: SA normal 

+++++

April 2014--IUI #1 Clomid 100 4-8 Follistim 150 9-14, 5 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 5/5 1100, BFN 

May 2014 ---IUI#2 Clomid 100 3-7 Follistim 150 8-13, 3 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 6/6 547, BFN

June 2014--IUI#3 Follistim 150/225 3-15, 3-5 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 7/11 1450, BFN

July 2014--IUI#4 Follistim 225 2-12, 3 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 8/12 841, BFN

Breaking till after Christmas, then IVF...taking 4000 mgs daily Inositol and Melatonin 3mg

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stress does not prevent pregnancy.  

The lack of knowledge on here now is astonishing.  Even more so if a medical doctor really told you that.  
  • Options
    I agree with Waterlily. While I haven't had fertility success with acupuncture in my most recent medicated cycle, I do believe it helped other facets of my health which in turn helped some things change for me in the most recent cycle. Just like Waterlily, my sleep and digestion were better and my lining was fabulous by the time I triggered. They do say it takes up to 10 treatments before you see a change but I do believe it helps. Friends that have underwent IVF have sworn by acupuncture and chiropractic care.  In order to get pregnant your whole body needs to have energy flowing properly though it so conditions are "perfect" and there's a reason Traditional Chinese Medicine has been around for hundreds of years.
    If you been trying to conceive for over a year, I would go to an RE just to have that advanced medical opinion before starting acupuncture. That way the can treat your needs more specifically if you choose that route. 
    I fully admit that I don't always buy into things without research but my RE also recommend acupuncture so I decided to try it. My first session the acupuncturist recommend the book The Infertiltity Cure by Randine Lewis. It gets a little deep into TCM but it gave me some great knowledge about things I have been experiencing in my TTC journey. 
  • Options
    YES! Acupuncure worked for me and worked for 2 other people I know. All of them were over 40 and had issues conceving. I absolutely advise ANYONE with these isues to try that FIRST THING. It is much cheaper and less invesive than IVF (plus it helps you with other issues you may have). Make sure to go to an acupuncturist who is SPECIALIZED in fertility and have a good SUCCESS RATE (check YELP). It usually costs $80-120 a treatment, but it is worth it. A good acupuncturist should help you within 2-3 cycles (max). Good luck ladies!
  • Options
    I love acupuncture, but like a pp mentioned, find one who specializes in fertility acupuncture. If anything it is very relaxing and a de-stresser for me. I love my acupuncturist. Don't know where you are, but if you are in the NYC area I can recommend mine. He's amazing - compassionate and knowledgeable. He's been doing fertility acupuncture for almost 20 years.
  • Options
    kotkoda said:
    YES! Acupuncure worked for me and worked for 2 other people I know. All of them were over 40 and had issues conceving. I absolutely advise ANYONE with these isues to try that FIRST THING. It is much cheaper and less invesive than IVF (plus it helps you with other issues you may have). Make sure to go to an acupuncturist who is SPECIALIZED in fertility and have a good SUCCESS RATE (check YELP). It usually costs $80-120 a treatment, but it is worth it. A good acupuncturist should help you within 2-3 cycles (max). Good luck ladies!
    IVF is not something people choose lightly.  If someone has gotten to a point where IVF is needed and has been recommended by a medical professional, no amount of acupuncture is going to help.  PLEASE stop spreading this information.  It is misleading, and ignores the fact that there are real medical issues at play that can lead a couple to choose IVF.  
  • Options
    I am with @DrthVdr‌ on this one. Infertility can certainly be a serious issue for many women, and while certain holistic approaches such as acupuncture and yoga certainly don't HURT, they likely are not the answer. I'm definitely not against any sort of natural alternatives to medical intervention, but in this case, it sounds like OP's doctor was attempting to say that this will be her answer without any further testing. This sounds like an answer from a doctor who is short on answers, and is attempting to blame the one thing that he can spot-- the obvious stress that is TTC.

Also, I'm sure many women have had a successful pregnancy following acupuncture, but there is no scientific support linking acupuncture to increased rates of conception for women (well, couples...) who are actually experiencing legitimate infertility. The link in this case is purely coincidental and is no stronger than the link between increased pregnancy rates for women who have upped their chocolate intake the month the ended up pregnant.

No amount of acupuncture a woman might receive will help with pregnancy when her partner's SA numbers are low. It doesn't sound like male factor (or other more serious female factor) was at all considered by OP's doctor.

Of course, I say again that it definitely wouldn't hurt! And I'm sure regular acupuncture and yoga would be very relaxing! I just hope that OP doesn't rely on this as the answer to all fertility issues.
    TTC since March 2013

HSG: Sept 2014, clear tubes

Dx: MFI - Low motility, morph, count (Aug. 2014); Hypothyroidism (May 2015)

Moved to IUIs October 2014

IUI #1 w/ injections:  Nov 2014- BFN

IUI #2 w/ injections:  Jan 2015- BFN

IUI #3.1 w/ injections:  Feb. 2015, cancelled due to cysts- 10 days BCP

IUI #3.2 w/ injections:  Feb/March 2015- BFN

IUI #4 w/ 100mg Clomid +  Injections:  August 2015- BFN

IUI #5 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  September 2015- BFN

IUI #6 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  October 2015 - Cancelled due low response

Moved to IVF May 2016 

Retrieved 18 eggs on 05/27/2016, 13 were ICSI'd, 9 made it to day-five transfer

Transferred 2 beautiful day-five embryos on 06/01/2016, froze 7

BFP 4dp5dt on 06/05/2016!  Line continued to darken beautifully!

EDD:  February 17, 2017

Beta #1:  92

Beta #2:  305 

Ultrasound #1 - one baby!

Ultrasound #2 - saw heartbeat!

LFAF Badges:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"