July 2015 Moms

Too much fruit?

Is it possible to eat too much fruit while pregnant?  If there is one thing that I can't get enough of during this pregnancy, it is fruit!  It doesn't matter what kind of fruit...I love it all!  For instance, this evening I had my husband cut up 12 kiwi's and 2 mango's, which I ate while sipping on a fresh fruit smoothie.  :-)
For clarification, my diet definitely consists of more than fruit.  I just absolutely crave fruit of all kinds and do eat a lot of it.  
My mother-in-law made the comment to me that I need to "be careful eating all that fruit because of the fructose."  I wasn't sure what she meant so I looked it up quickly but didn't really find anything negative...

Re: Too much fruit?

• Fruit is high in sugar. Obviously, it's better than candy and other junk food. But, it still raises your blood sugar.
  • I craved fruit like crazy when I was pregnant with my daughter. Of course, I wasn't eating 12 kiwis plus a fruit smoothie at one sitting lol. I would check with your doctor, but I agree with PP that it will probably affect your blood sugar.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so glad you posted this. I have been loooooving me some fruit lately, however, my nutritionist busted my bubble and told me to reign in the fruit eating to one serving with each meal and that it needed to count as my carb. :-( up until this point I was eating a half pound of strawberries, deiced up kiwi and a banana with chocolate drizzled (lightly-ish) over it. It was my slice of heaven. But I guess that is a thing of the past. 
  • I agree with others.. I'm sure it can affect your blood sugar but there's definitely worse things for you.
  • You're doing better than the cake and ice cream I have been eating all weekend! Lol
  • I'm loving the fruit too! Not sure the extent (I am going to check), but my midwife mentioned that once morning sickness was over, I should focus on protein & veggies while limiting fruit, carbs, & other sugars... Not the most exciting news ;). She did say some fruit, smoothies with protein, etc were ok in moderation
  • Ffs eat the fruit. Obviously moderation is key when it comes to someone's diet but common sense tells you fruit is better than chips and dip or ice cream.
  • I'm eating fruits all day long! I of course have other food as well, but fruit is something I can't stay away from. Fruits do have lots of sugar, but they also full of vitamins and fiber. And not only this. For instant orange has a lot of calcium which we really need during pregnancy. I asked my doctor and he said it is totally fine to eat fruits ( btw I had 10 plums 3 peachs 1 pomegranate 1 grapefruit and half of watermelon today). Fruits are much better then pizza, fries and all the junk food cravings. Just don't forget to eat normal food as well)))
  • karengrim23karengrim23 member
    edited February 2015
    My doctor mentioned that fruit was fine in moderation, but too much fruit could (and was) leading to excess weight gain during my pregnancy. So I can have fruit or juice but not fruit AND juice. And to really focus on proteins which make you fuller longer.

That being said - I also can't stop drinking milk so that also added to the weight gain but hey, you win some you lose some...
  • I too was obsessed with fruit, but that has subsided a little. I can't get enough of anything with acidity,  be it fruit, pickles, or salad with a good vinaigrette.... greek salads ftw!
  • Mine obsession is pineapple! I was eating about a cup a day but my SIL told me that's not good for the baby (something about bringing on early labour?) so now I eat that much but just a couple days a week.

• I'm totally loving fruit as well but I did notice my intake was getting out of control so I recently bought some V8 juice. I choke down a glass a day and wash it down with an orange :D
  • I'm going to ask my doctor next week. I can easily eat 10 halos in a day! I can't get enough!
  • MrsC0409MrsC0409 member
    edited February 2015
    I can't stop with fruit either... with my daughter it was peaches, with this one it's cherries and berries. And kiwis too. Could you be deficient in something like vitamin C? Usually cravings mean your body needs something. Talk to your OB. Kiwi and Mango are both high in vitamin C.
  • I didn't think you could eat too much fruit until i read "12 kiwis" in 1 sitting
  • I can relate to this very well...with my first two childeren i craved junk food and lots lots of candy. With this baby i have been eating lots of fruit and seems like nothing else is appealing. Since i started loosing weight instead of gaining some i have to force myself to eat more carbs :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"