December 2014 Moms
Options

Weaning off nipple sheild. Help!

I've been using the nipple sheild for almost two weeks now and I'm ready for my Son to wean off but it's been proven difficult. He has lathed a few times no problem but will keep I latching himself because it's not what he wants. OK I can deal with this but most of the time he screams out of frustration because it's not what he wants and we get nowhere. Help!
Post-Natal Loss at 32 weeks, LTTC of 26th Months, 5 failed IUIs, Conception via 4th IVF Cycle in April 2014
EDD: January 3rd, 2015! 

Re: Weaning off nipple sheild. Help!

• Options
    I'm trying this, too...
    My daughter finally started latching willingly, after many failed attempts.. But it can be extremely painful at times! I keep trying to relatch her.. But she gets really pissed off.
    When getting her to latch without the shield, we just kept trying at the beginning of each feeding without the shield until she would get too frustrated, then we'd use the shield if it didn't work. Eventually it just clicked.. But now it's painful so I end up using the shield again when it's so bad I can't stand it.
  • Options
    Ok so seems I have to just keep trying. I got my LO latched a few times between the last 2-3 days but he just loses interest and wants the sheild back. I'm sorry you're having trouble again w latch. Can you see a Lactation Consultant?
    Post-Natal Loss at 32 weeks, LTTC of 26th Months, 5 failed IUIs, Conception via 4th IVF Cycle in April 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used a nipple shield for a whole month because my son was a month early and had trouble latching. Then one day he just figured it out. I started slipping off the shield in the middle of the feeding and tried to relatch. It took a while, but he got it. I know it feels like it will never work right now, but I promise your baby will get it too! Just keep trying! :)
  • Options
    I was having the same problem, and a friend sent me this helpful link:

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/

My ped told me to try to go without the shield as much as possible, but it's more import to not make breastfeeding stressful, so it's ok to relent and use the shield once the baby is agitated.

It took a week or so, and she occasionally backpedalled, especially on the side where my nipple is totally flat, but we've been nipple shield-less for five days.
    Looking forward to meeting our first child in January 2015!
  • Options
    It took me three weeks to get my son off the shield - I found that the size they gave me was huge in comparison to my nipple and noticed when I went to buy new ones. After about a week with a smaller shield he was able to latch himself but had to keep it by me at first just in case he got frustrated...good luck! It's a relief once it's gone for sure
  • Options
    I had to use a shield for over 2 months with dd. I would just occasionally try without it and eventually she got it. I would also try without it at the end of the day so you you are not engorged. That made it a lot easier for her to latch. I agree with the pp and see a lactation consultant for help.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    My LO is 2 weeks old and I am still needing the shield espaçait during the motn. I try once or twice a day to BF without the shield when LO is calm and I am rested (more or less). I will try to use it less often in the next days.
  • Options
    @barbikins‌ I'm going to another support group meeting on Monday where there will be a couple lactation consultants able to help. We're doing great and she is always able to latch now.. but still having pain about 60% of the time, so I still use the shield for my comfort sometimes. It really helps knowing I'm not the only one working too wean off of it. Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    I would try to feed before baby is really hungry, like right when they wake up or are barely rooting around. Also try expressing so you have some milk on the boob...baby might be more eager to latch when there is milk to taste.
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    Awesome! Thank you everybody for your input. I spoke to a lactation consultant on the phone today and she said what I have to do is keep taking the shield off during all the feeds making sure he doesn't get really frustrated and she said eventually all babies will get off it but they will do it in their own time. I really hope I can get off in about a weeks time that be amazing. I really hate having to use the shield. Using the shield and all of the ups and downs that I've had I've really made this experience stressful. I really want to enjoy breast-feeding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"