High-Risk Pregnancy

Progesterone shots?

hi- I had my twins at 36.4, and at the time I thought that was great "for twins" and that surely my next baby would be a 40 weeker. Well my next baby had a lot of health problems and came at 36.1 (and there's no way to know if she was early due to her health problems or if it was just me going into labor early). So now my OB is suggesting progesterone shots for baby 4, as he is concerned a 4th baby could come even earlier than before, especially since this one is back to back with my 3rd. But he is leaving the decision up to me, and I am totally on the fence. I don't "feel" super at risk for a super early labor, and even though my twins were born in week 36 they came home right away with absolutely no NICU time or any health problems at all. But of course, if I randomly went into labor at 20 something weeks this time around I'd blame myself. And also my 2 previous labors were spontaneous rupture of membranes, so nothing that could be stopped once I got to the hospital. But still, I'm just not sure if I'm really in the category of women who need progesterone shots in pregnancy.

So my question is: did anyone have similar previous labors and did you do or not do the shots and why?

Re: Progesterone shots?

• Bump: High risk pregnancy board and no one has progesterone shot experience?? I thought it was common; now I'm a little more nervous than I was....
  • I have been on progesterone shots since 16w this pregnancy due to PPROM last pregnancy which resulted in a loss.  I am currently 31w have had no side affects to the progesterone shots but and still have this little baby snuggled inside of me.  Who knows what my PPROM was a result of but I like that I am doing something to prevent the same outcome.  My experience is different then yours because my water broke much sooner but I am glad that I am taking progesterone shots to prevent it from happening again.

Me: 30  DP: 30

TTC#1

IUI#1 9/26/13 BFN

IUI#2 10/26/13 BFP beta #1 99 #2 456

2/20/2014 Brynlee Madeline is taken too soon at 19weeks she was perfect

IUI#3 6/10/14 BFP beta #1 276 beta #2 722 20w A/S shows we are having a girl

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you; I'm glad you aren't having side affects!! I have heard the side effects can be drastic and I'm worried about that too. I don't feel a strong urge to do something to keep baby in longer since the twins were perfect and Liv's problems were not a result of her being early, but I do like what you said about being able to do something: I can relate to that in a different way and it makes sense. Thanks for sharing!
  • I am on progesterone shots now. We did not know if I needed them or not - usually 17p is given only when preterm labor is unexplaine din previous pregnacies (my preterm labor with my previous pregnancy had a cause - infection).  I am currently 31 weeks.  Shots are easy to get used to, and since they are once a week its not a big deal.  I haven't had any side effects.  Good luck!
  • I'm on 17p. Have been since 16 weeks. I'm 27 today. Praying little one stays in.

My son was born at 30 weeks due to ptl of unknown cause.
  • I have been on progesterone shots since first week (I'm 11 weeks now), to pervert miscarriage as I'm pregnant with twins. 
    I advice you, don't think about side effect, so far I have no side effects, only a bit of hair on the stomach area, which is totally irrelevant. 
    I think is good to take doctor's suggestion.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • what are the side effects I start mines tomorrow
  • I was on the shots with my most recent pregnancy as I had PROM'd with my DS and he was born at 36 weeks. The only side effects I had was a little burning, itching and swelling at the injection sight.My doctor told me to take some Benadryl the day or and day after the shot as well as making sure to very slowly do the injection and then massage the area for a minute after getting it. The progesterone is a very sticky thick liquid and massaging it helps it to spread out a bit. Doing those things helped greatly.

My DH was instructed on how to give me the shots at home so I didn't have to go to the doctor every week and that worked out great.

I debated weather or not to get the shots when the doctor mentioned them. Once I talked with them about possible side effects which were mostly if you have a reaction to the shot, not that they could harm the baby in any way, I decided to go for it. Like you I thought I would likely be fine as I was at 36 weeks with DS and he did fine (just small and a little jaundiced), but I couldn't help but think "what if I go even earlier and I could have done something to prevent it". 

Over all it was a bit of a pain having to get a shot once a week for most of my pregnancy and like I said I had some very mild side effects, but I think it was worth it. 
  • LolaX2 said:

I was on the shots with my most recent pregnancy as I had PROM'd with my DS and he was born at 36 weeks. The only side effects I had was a little burning, itching and swelling at the injection sight.My doctor told me to take some Benadryl the day or and day after the shot as well as making sure to very slowly do the injection and then massage the area for a minute after getting it. The progesterone is a very sticky thick liquid and massaging it helps it to spread out a bit. Doing those things helped greatly.

My DH was instructed on how to give me the shots at home so I didn't have to go to the doctor every week and that worked out great.

I debated weather or not to get the shots when the doctor mentioned them. Once I talked with them about possible side effects which were mostly if you have a reaction to the shot, not that they could harm the baby in any way, I decided to go for it. Like you I thought I would likely be fine as I was at 36 weeks with DS and he did fine (just small and a little jaundiced), but I couldn't help but think "what if I go even earlier and I could have done something to prevent it". 

Over all it was a bit of a pain having to get a shot once a week for most of my pregnancy and like I said I had some very mild side effects, but I think it was worth it. 
    Thank you for sharing!! How far did you make it with your next pregnancy?
  • ^^ and also what weeks did you do the shots?
  • And where do they give the shots at on the body im going on tue. when i turn 24 weeks
  • And where do they give the shots at on the body im going on tue. when i turn 24 weeks

My doc says it will be hip but I don't know if that's the only place they can do it
  • Def do them! I'm an obgyn nurse for 14 years & I've seem it work for so many! Any side effect will be minimal compared to having the baby at full term. It won't hurt you, so why not? Good luck!
  • I having been getting shots since 16 weeks because two out of my three children were premature. My third was trying to come early but they stopped it. Then just as I turned 37 weeks she came. So, with this pregnancy # 4 the have been giving me shots and then found out my cervix was shortening and had a cerclage put in at 19 weeks. The shots are supposed to help with contraction but I am still getting them but I know it's different for everyone. Hope that's helps :)
  • I just got my first shot on Friday and am 16 weeks. I got makenna brand. It seems though I had a reaction of bad headache and I threw up a few hours after. As of today though I feel great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I started the shots a few weeks ago..they suck but o well! They hurt/sting and are super itchy! I had my twins at 33w4d...then lost a little girl at 19w. I have a a bicornute uterus and a marker for MTHFR. I'm at almost 20w with a little man and so far so good! Best of luck :)
  • They are given a few inches toward the buttocks from your hip bone. No thigh :( I switch hips to help with the pain and it goes away after a few days but then that's just in time for the other side ;)
  • My son was born at 26 weeks due to a chronic placental abruption (bleeding since week 16 that never stopped) which eventually led to PPROM (apparently all the blood irritated the amniotic sac and caused it to break) which then led to labor. So we were on the fence as well about whether or not to do the shots. The doctor pretty much gave me the option, and said insurance will definitely cover it being that I had my other son so early, regardless of the reason. He said they won't hurt, but there's a chance they could help. I decided to take the shots, and I'm glad I made that decision. The side effects are more just a pain in the butt (literally) and very small for me compared to having a baby born so early. And even though it may be doing nothing for me except helping put my mind at ease a little, I'm happy I'm doing it. Right now I'm nearly 20 weeks with no problems (knock on wood), but if something bad does happen at least I won't have to wonder "what if I had taken the shots?"  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"