August 2015 Moms

Vaccinations

H and I just Had a conversation about vaccinations and I'm looking to hear your thoughts.
We are both strong believers in vaccination, and just had a conversation about the time frame for all the shots.

Formerly known as Kate08young
August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
Married: 7/22/14
Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

Re: Vaccinations

• Well I hate to see some of these diseases make a comeback. Recent news about measles at Disneyland is scary. Esp since I was born in the 70's my original vaccination for rubella is useless, I had no idea until my first prenatal visit. So now I am worried about getting it because there are so many  kids that have not been vaccinated.
    Be the Change.
    Make no assumptions
    Take nothing personally
    Be impeccable with your word
    Do your best

• Loading the player...
  • It's a social responsibility and those who can be vaccinated should be IMO. 

We vaccinate on time including the flu shot.  The only one we delay and by delay I mean a matter of weeks is the Hep B vaccine.  I like to get BFing well established before we do that, but if my baby was at any risk of getting Hep B I would do it at birth.  We do it at the two week appointment.
  • As a PP mentioned, my dd's daycare requires the flu shot but even if they didn't we would still vaccinate. My close friend has a son who was born at 30 weeks and has a compromised immune system. It could be life threatening if he contracted something from a sick, un-vaccinated child. Even though we believe in vaccination, his story has made me see it in a completely different way.
  • Get vaccinated! Those diseases are scary and can lead to later problems if contracted.
  • This conversation lays in the same category as circumcision and bf'ing vs. Formula. Everyone has their own opinion and it will typically turn into a debate.
  • @xcitdmomma‌ and @kc525‌ I totally agree with both of you. My daughter was/is vaccinated. I personally don't see why you wouldn't do it BUT typically on these sorts of boards this is a topic that people are very passionate about on what side of the fence they stand on and can turn into a big debate.
  • sschwege said:
    It's a social responsibility and those who can be vaccinated should be IMO. 

We vaccinate on time including the flu shot.  The only one we delay and by delay I mean a matter of weeks is the Hep B vaccine.  I like to get BFing well established before we do that, but if my baby was at any risk of getting Hep B I would do it at birth.  We do it at the two week appointment.

We do the same with the Hep B vaccine but everything else is on schedule.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I mean, unless you have a legitimate medical reason for doing a delayed schedule (previous reactions and such) then there's absolutely no reason to do one. If your reasoning is 'but it's so many shots at once and scary needles' then you need to get your head around it (you've got plenty of time) and realize that's absurd. Personally, I do not want a doctor who is willing to humor my FTM control issues instead of insisting on vaccinating on a CDC schedule.

In short, just do it. Do it on time and as needed. If you don't trust your doctor with vaccinations and to do the job they trained to do, then that's something you need to deal with.

Personally, I will be looking for a pediatrician who does not accept patients whose parents refuse to vaccinate for 'ideological' reasons. I don't need that extra worry.

It wasn't so much a 'it's soo many shots' as when do we want to start them all. We were mostly debating the hep B shot and its timing. The rest we are set on the CDC schedule.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Yes, it's really a no brainer! Get your kids vaccinated, unless your child has a medical condition that keeps him/her from getting their vaccinations. All three of my kids are vaccinated, and so will baby #4.
  • Oh God! Here we go with this debate. Just an FYI, this debate NEVER goes over well on TB nor does it stop (even after baby gets here).

I don't understand what my opinion on vaccinating my kid has to do with anyone's decision. I say, make your own decision for your kid. Whether that be delayed vacc's schedule, regular schedule ect.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kc525 said:

ammc07 said:

This conversation lays in the same category as circumcision and bf'ing vs. Formula. Everyone has their own opinion and it will typically turn into a debate.

It's not an opinion thing, though. Circumcision and BF'ing ARE personal decisions, with pros and cons. Vaccinating, as long as you are able to, is a social responsibility. Every argument within the anti-vax movement have been debunked over and over again. There are no scientific pros for the non-vaccination of a healthy child. So no, it's not a personal choice on par with BF'ing.

Doesn't matter though. Whether you think it's "logical" or not they're are plenty of parents that disagree with vaccinating their kids. This debate is old and played. It's opinion based, and while that is a bit scary, it's reality.
        DS born 8-16-2013
  • No one has really addressed the alternate schedules, so I will. We fully vaccinate DS, but no more than 2, maybe 3, shots per visit. They really do want to give kids a HUGE number of shots at once. Though the issue of mercury has gotten much better, there can still be trace amounts, and I don't want those small amounts to add up with 8 shots at once. Also, their little immune systems have to take in the antibodies and process them, and I just figured I wouldn't overload his little system. However, millions of kids get all the shots at once and are fine. Also, doing it how I have requires that we go in for shots in between the regular check ups, but by each appointment he has had all the shots that the CDC recommends by that age. You really just have to do what you are comfortable with, but know you do have options.
  • If you do not get your kids vaccinated, they can be carriers and give those diseases to kids who are too young for vaccinations. At that point, other children are in danger of illness. From my point of view, it's not a matter of opinion.
  • VACCINATE!!!!
  • edited February 2015
    kcebeling said:

I don't understand what my opinion on vaccinating my kid has to do with anyone's decision. I say, make your own decision for your kid. Whether that be delayed vacc's schedule, regular schedule ect.

Understand this: your opinion not to to vaccinate + other non-vaxx'ers = reduced herd immunity and preventable disease outbreaks.

Will people begin understanding when the numbers increase and deaths start occurring?

Lol. You're preaching to the choir. When did I ever state my opinion on the matter? Please don't "lump" me into the "anti vacc's" category. I understand everything you're saying. You need to realize that not everyone sees it this way. This is an argument that will go on and on and on here....if you want to stand on the rooftop and force YOUR opinion, because that's what it is considering people have the "choice" to vaccinate, by all means do so.
        DS born 8-16-2013
  • We followed my doctors regular vaccinating schedules. Due to the fact that they offer combined shots and some are oral, my kids never received more than two shots at once.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• kcebeling said:

Understand this: your opinion not to to vaccinate + other non-vaxx'ers = reduced herd immunity and preventable disease outbreaks.

Will people begin understanding when the numbers increase and deaths start occurring?

Lol. You're preaching to the choir. When did I ever state my opinion on the matter? Please don't "lump" me into the "anti vacc's" category. I understand everything you're saying. You need to realize that not everyone sees it this way. This is an argument that will go on and on and on here....if you want to stand on the rooftop and force YOUR opinion, because that's what it is considering people have the "choice" to vaccinate, by all means do so.

I think the point is that it shouldn't be an opinion thing, though. I'm personally speaking against the anti-vax movement as a whole. Unless there are legitimate health reasons not to, there is no reason to make a "choice" not to.... None. It's the plethora of terrible information that is pushing those "opinions". So, again, no.... It's not an opinion. It's fact vs fiction.
  • Personally, I will be looking for a pediatrician who does not accept patients whose parents refuse to vaccinate for 'ideological' reasons. I don't need that extra worry.

This would be awesome.  Ours "heavily suggests" finding a new practice if you don't want to follow their schedule. 

One of us gets sick EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. we leave that office.  If my LO came home with the measles from the pedi's office, I would seriously lose my shit. 

• kc525 said:

kcebeling said:

I think the point is that it shouldn't be an opinion thing, though. I'm personally speaking against the anti-vax movement as a whole. Unless there are legitimate health reasons not to, there is no reason to make a "choice" not to.... None. It's the plethora of terrible information that is pushing those "opinions". So, again, no.... It's not an opinion. It's fact vs fiction.

Meh, clearly it's not a "fact vs. fiction" situation. Clearly, people still have the right to send their kid to school with ZERO vaccinations. I'm not debating whether or not I agree with you're opinion. The point is, there will be some Vacc's kids and their will be some that are not.

This debate will go on and on. It has MAJOR history on TB. Now, THAT was my point.
        DS born 8-16-2013
  • I was a perfectly healthy kid until i received vaccinations that landed me on life support. I was 5 and flat lined and was in a coma for months. Guillian barre syndrome. For that reason, i refuse to give my kids vaccinations unless i have to. i still have issues from it. I can honestly say vaccinations ruined my life. I went to school with all the other kids, despite being unable to receive immunizations. Noone in my class ever got sick from me and i def never got anything that the vaccinations could have prevented. One year when my oldest was 13 his ped talked me into getting him the flu shot. This is the first time he ever got sick was right after the flu shot, within like 2 days. So you see personally where i have a hard time with the vaccination issue. I will never be allowed to get any type of vaccine.
  • misty7281 said:
    I was a perfectly healthy kid until i received vaccinations that landed me on life support. I was 5 and flat lined and was in a coma for months. Guillian barre syndrome. For that reason, i refuse to give my kids vaccinations unless i have to. i still have issues from it. I can honestly say vaccinations ruined my life. I went to school with all the other kids, despite being unable to receive immunizations. Noone in my class ever got sick from me and i def never got anything that the vaccinations could have prevented. One year when my oldest was 13 his ped talked me into getting him the flu shot. This is the first time he ever got sick was right after the flu shot, within like 2 days. So you see personally where i have a hard time with the vaccination issue. I will never be allowed to get any type of vaccine.
    How can you be sure it was the vaccination that caused this and not just a speculation/coincidence? A quick search landed me several places that all say the causes of GBS are unknown...just throwing that out there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    # 1
    BFP: 9/17/2013, EDD: 6/1/2014
    Welcome to the World, Brielle Lorraine: 5/23/2014 @ 2:01pm, 6lbs 6oz, 19.75in
    # 2
    BFP: 12/12/2014, EDD: 8/25/2015
  • KLB2T said:
    misty7281 said:
    I was a perfectly healthy kid until i received vaccinations that landed me on life support. I was 5 and flat lined and was in a coma for months. Guillian barre syndrome. For that reason, i refuse to give my kids vaccinations unless i have to. i still have issues from it. I can honestly say vaccinations ruined my life. I went to school with all the other kids, despite being unable to receive immunizations. Noone in my class ever got sick from me and i def never got anything that the vaccinations could have prevented. One year when my oldest was 13 his ped talked me into getting him the flu shot. This is the first time he ever got sick was right after the flu shot, within like 2 days. So you see personally where i have a hard time with the vaccination issue. I will never be allowed to get any type of vaccine.
    How can you be sure it was the vaccination that caused this and not just a speculation/coincidence? A quick search landed me several places that all say the causes of GBS are unknown...just throwing that out there.
    I did come across one thing that said the risk of developing GBS can be increased by vaccinations in rare cases. It does concur, however, that the cause is unknown, so I'm not clear on whether or not avoiding vaccines would prevent it. It is incredibly rare and there isn't an inheritance pattern, so I don't think there is an associated risk with vaccinating the kids of people with GBS.
  • KLB2T said:
    misty7281 said:
    I did come across one thing that said the risk of developing GBS can be increased by vaccinations in rare cases. It does concur, however, that the cause is unknown, so I'm not clear on whether or not avoiding vaccines would prevent it. It is incredibly rare and there isn't an inheritance pattern, so I don't think there is an associated risk with vaccinating the kids of people with GBS.
    I guess I just feel like people are...ignorant to say, "I got a shot, then sometime after I got severely sick and that's why I don't vaccinate", when there could be no correlation between the two...just an unfortunate coincidence.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    # 1
    BFP: 9/17/2013, EDD: 6/1/2014
    Welcome to the World, Brielle Lorraine: 5/23/2014 @ 2:01pm, 6lbs 6oz, 19.75in
    # 2
    BFP: 12/12/2014, EDD: 8/25/2015
  • Thanks for the great video @dilutedsanity0
    Is it possible the tide is turning and sending the anti-vacc movement out to sea? Wouldn't that be nice.
    @astheria Thank you so much for taking the time to outline that info in a way that I a layperson could wrap my head around.
    15 years ago I had DD vaccinated  reluctantly because the crunchy mama across the street who was older and wiser, told me they were not necessary, and possibly risky. I'm so glad I didn't listen. We will be following the schedule to the letter. Thanks for all of the great info and I will definately be sharing the video with DH.
    Be the Change.
    Make no assumptions
    Take nothing personally
    Be impeccable with your word
    Do your best

• You need to be wary about any "study" you read because many are not done properly or are reported falsely. As for the "don't vaccine" studies, just remember that correlation does not imply causation.

I've known people who have children with autism that swear it was the vaccines. I've also know people who are firm that they are glad thet child received them and don't believe it was the vaccine.

With all that being said, you need to do what's right for you and your family. Also think about the level of "herd immunity" in your area.

I'm a huge believer in vaccines and allowing children who really need the herd immunity (cancer, etc) use it. But I would never tell parents who decided against vaccines that they made the wrong You need to do what's best for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"