August 2015 Moms

caffeine intake?

What are your views on drinking starbucks and stronger coffees during pregnancy? Im hearing its bad, ok and good? Smh?

Re: caffeine intake?

• I still have my coffee in the morning and sometimes a caffeinated drink with lunch. I try to limit mine to once a day but everyone is different.  Do what works/feels best for you. 
    "One Love, One Heart, One Destiny" - Bob Marley

"Louie & Irie -  Fur Babies Adopted 02/16/13 & 5/23/13"

August 15 January Challenge - Mean Girls

• Can't tell you what to do as there is a lot of personal preference there. FWIW Starbucks coffee generally has more caffeine than your average cup of coffee. And general rule: the bolder the blend of coffee, the LESS caffeine it has. It's counterintuitive, but as the beans roast, the caffeine is roasted out. Bolder blends are roasted longer.
  • Loading the player...
  • Its all personal preference and also how you respond to caffeine. I'm really caffeine intolerant, so while I'll drink a 1/3-1/2 cup of coffee (the whole day) when I'm not pregnant, I won't drink it when pregnant and couldn't while bfing my daughter. I started drinking a cup of hot cocoa two days ago and had to stop halfway through cause I was getting that shaky/nauseous caffeine ickiness. You won't get a straight answer on this. Talk to your doctor if you want to get an "official" answer.
  • bashfulbirdbashfulbird member
    edited February 2015
    @asmith138 I was told 200mg of caffeine was the recommended limit.  I am sure you have found a solution to this question by now but,  I wonder if Starbucks lists the caffeine levels on their website.
    200mg is 12oz of reg coffee. I have this in the am then I switch to Earl Grey decaf at lunch.

eta:punctuation
    Be the Change.
    Make no assumptions
    Take nothing personally
    Be impeccable with your word
    Do your best

• WSatisfiedPWSatisfiedP member
    edited February 2015
    My doctor said limit 100 mg/day. If you trust your doctor then I would follow their guidelines
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• I drink one cup of decaf and enjoy chocolate frequently. I'm not really a coffee drinker to begin with-I drank decaf pre-pregnancy.
  • My doctor says 1-2 servings a day is fine, and its not something to be overly worried about unless its like 10 cups a day.

Also, I normally just drink 1-2 servings over lunch--it helps me have enough energy to get through the rest of the afternoon!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I went cold turkey with no caffeine for a while, but once doctor said 1 cup a day was OK.. I'm back to enjoying coffee in the mornings, and sometimes will get a soda. 
    DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• It increases the risk of miscarriage a little if you drink it in high amounts. You can still drink up to 200mg/day (some places recommend up to 300mg/day, but I prefer aiming for a smaller number just in case). Starbucks, if you go into the store and order a regular coffee, is probably around the same as a normal cup of coffee and you can have a few cups, but their mochas and such have a lot more. One mocha is probably already at the max (I know the small mochas at Caribou Coffee already have 190mg, I have to order mine with half the amount of espresso -- and I pretty much only get it once or twice a month, as a treat). However, if you get the bottles of frappuccinos, those are each under 90mg, some as low as 60 I think. If you google the specific drink + 'caffeine content', there will be a web site that tells you what it is. So you don't have to quit drinking coffee, just be careful how much you do drink. :) Personally, I found that it just didn't go down as well once morning sickness hit, so I haven't had any in several weeks now...
  • 200mg of caffeine a day is supposed to be ok. Personally, I gave my morning coffee when all of a sudden I couldn't tolerate the smell anymore. Otherwise would still have a cup in the morning. I'm having tea instead now.
  • rockitmommarockitmomma member
    edited February 2015
    Www.caffeineinformer.com is my bible. It's has the caffeine contents of all starbucks drinks and other coffee and energy drinks as well. I try to stay under 200 mg per day but sometimes I splurge a little.
    ---
    BabyFruit Ticker

For n00bs like myself: The Bump Unofficial Glossary
  • Just try to keep it under 200 mg a day.
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• xcitdmommaxcitdmomma member
    edited February 2015
    It increases the risk of miscarriage a little if you drink it in high amounts. You can still drink up to 200mg/day (some places recommend up to 300mg/day, but I prefer aiming for a smaller number just in case). Starbucks, if you go into the store and order a regular coffee, is probably around the same as a normal cup of coffee and you can have a few cups, but their mochas and such have a lot more. One mocha is probably already at the max (I know the small mochas at Caribou Coffee already have 190mg, I have to order mine with half the amount of espresso -- and I pretty much only get it once or twice a month, as a treat). However, if you get the bottles of frappuccinos, those are each under 90mg, some as low as 60 I think. If you google the specific drink + 'caffeine content', there will be a web site that tells you what it is. So you don't have to quit drinking coffee, just be careful how much you do drink. :) Personally, I found that it just didn't go down as well once morning sickness hit, so I haven't had any in several weeks now...
    This is not so, as an FYI. A brewed coffee has 330mg of caffeine and a mocha is nearly half at 175mg.
  • Starbucks does list caffeine content of different drinks online. If you stick to tall size or only one espresso shot you should be OK.
    Mocha will obviously be more bc of chocolate.
  • xcitdmommaxcitdmomma member
    edited February 2015
    Starbucks does list caffeine content of different drinks online. If you stick to tall size or only one espresso shot you should be OK. Mocha will obviously be more bc of chocolate.
    Sorry, no. Wrong. Caffeine in chocolate is VERY low. Also, a mocha has steamed milk, and coffee does not, so the milk and choclate will dilute the caffeine.

There's less caffeine in a mocha than in a brewed Starbucks coffee.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"