Working Moms
Options

applying for a virtual teaching position

I've been looking for a middle school virtual teaching position for years now. It's rare to find one for a NJ certification, but there is 1 school.  I've applied for a few different openings through the cite but never heard anything.  I just found the director on Linkedin and I'm thinking about contacting her.  I'm interested in knowing what they're looking for and if there is a better way to apply.  I hate just applying through websites because I feel like you never know if they received it.  This is also a national school but it has schools based out of each state, I'm willing to get certified in another state if offered a position in that state, but the way the application process is set up, I don't have the opportunity to state that.  I'm thinking the director could help me with that too.

My question is why do I say I'm looking to teach in a virtual school?  The real reason is I want to be able to focus on instruction and developing engaging activities.  I've taken online classes and I interact with my students through a blog and I like not always having to think on my feet and to take time to develop questions and response.  I assume I'll be able to focus on instruction and planning because I won't need to spend as much time or effort on classroom management.  I won't need to deal with students who come late to class, talk too much, can't keep their hands to themselves, ect.  There is also the chaos of a school environment, the noise, the running, the fighting, cursing, ect, that I don't enjoy being part of.  I don't want to put a negative spin on things though, so is that worth bringing up?  I just feel like if I only say I want to focus on instruction and planning, they may wonder what that means or what gets in my way from doing that now.

Re: applying for a virtual teaching position

• Options

I have no advice other than talking to people who teach virtually now to get some ideas.

When I taught a college class with a virtual element there was plenty of classroom management.  It was during 9-11 and I had to police a lot of commentary and force students to edit submissions to the online community that were harassing and threatening. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't know online type courses were available in middle school grades. Personally, I would not contact thru that site. I would make an appointment through the school or call her office and express interest.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not in the teaching profession but that sounds like a great opportunity if you get it... Being able to stay home and work sounds great.
    Pregnant with #3, after thee, three's complete!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"