September 2014 Moms

OT- Budgeting?

My husband and I are trying to figure out if we can make it work if I stay at home. 
Does anyone have a budget app, spreadsheet, etc, that they really like? 
I'm new to budgeting, but I know it'll be integral to making it work as a SAHM. 

Thanks in advance!

Re: OT- Budgeting?

• Agree with PP. When we found out we were expecting we lived entirely off my husband's income for a few months to make sure it was possible, but still have my income as a backup in case it became evident that it wasn't possible. We determined it was doable, though it has forced a drastic lifestyle change. It's easier to get used to that lifestyle change gradually.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know if there is an app but check out the website Mint.com, it is very good for budgeting!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • bf43005bf43005 member
    edited January 2015
    We use a computer program that isn't so much for budgeting. It's more like a computer check book. I entered in all the bills I know are due and each time I pay them like monthly, yearly, etc. All the bills have catagories, mortgage/rent, pet supplies, home improvement, etc. The program will shows graphs for a month or year and you can see what you spent in each catagory. We enter everything this way. Even if I take out cash from the bank I enter what it's for. Like I take out $200 I put $50 for gas $50 for clothes and $100 for groceries. I can track all our habits this way and it shows where we spent frivously. We did this for about a year before we got pregnant when we knew we were thinking of trying.

Edit: would help if I told you what we used lol. Sorry about that. It's called Quicken Starter Edition.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Quicken bought Mint.com and I recommend either for budgeting! Mint.com is easy to get started online and you can connect your credit cards to do automatic categorization.
  • Check out daveramsey.com for all budgeting and financial questions.
  • We use Mint.com but for some reason I didn't even think about using it for checking to see if staying home was plausible on DH's salary only. I'll go play around with it and see what I can find out.

I'll check out daveramsey.com too!

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"