Baby Names

Simon - religious name?

Hello!

I posted a few months ago here and got some great responses. We've since found out it's a boy. Our number one name is Simon. I just looked it up on behind the name, and the meaning is all about bible people. My husband and I aren't religious, so is that weird? I never heard it as a particularly religious name, but now I'm wondering about how others hear it.

Re: Simon - religious name?

• Simon the Zealot was one of the Apostles. It is a nice name, and I don't see anything wrong with using it. I feel differently about clearly religious name like Christian, Moses, or Jesus.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• Agree with previous post, a more obvious biblical name might be strange if you aren't religious, but Simon doesn't shout CHRISTIAN to me. So many common names are biblical that no one thinks twice about... Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Joseph, Benjamin, Sara, Ruth, etc. If you love it, use it. It's a great name. Congrats!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Simon is in the Bible, but Jesus changed his name to Peter anyway. Simon was his birth name, but Peter was his new Christian name that Jesus assigned him. Doesn't sound "Religious" to me. If anything, Peter is more of a "religious" name. Simon is a classic.
  • Phew, thanks, guys! I really didn't want to go back to the drawing board :).
  • There are actually quite a few Simons in the Bible, but it doesn't scream "Biblical name" like Hezekiah would.
  • I don't think it's weird...
  • What everyone else said, exactly.

The bible is history, and the names of the people in there, were also used by people that were not famous from the stories. And of course they have got handed down through the generations till now. I'm religious but I do not get these people that want to name all their children "Bible names" yes those names are in the bible but they're NOT ONLY in the bible and not limited to only religious people. At the same time as famous bible characters wore their names, non religious people in the same country wore the same names.
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"