June 2015 Moms

Kidney Stones

Anyone have kidney stones during this pregnancy? I am on my second one in two weeks and am currently hospitalized for pain management. But unfortunately, I have reactions to morphine, dilaudid, and stadol (at least the cocktail doctor put together) so not a lot of pain relief even hospitalized. :-( I have asked to be released and just take vicodin at home. If I'm going to be in pain and miserable, I would rather it be at home! Anyone else going thru this?

Re: Kidney Stones

• With my last pregnancy, my doctor wouldn't give me anything for the pain. Not sure if that was a good move on her part. She's not my doctor anymore for many reasons. I drank water and cranberry juice like a fish. And I don't like cranberry juice, so I diluted it with water. Passed 3 stones in little over a week without any assistance. You just drink so much of those fluids, and it helps the stone go through. Good luck! They aren't kidding when they say stones hurt more than labor.
  • Drink! Drink! Drink! I have passed three (I think) since becoming pregnant. First one, didn't know what was wrong so went to our closest hospital which just gave me tylenol and sent me on my way. Luckily it moved so my pain stopped. A couple of weeks later had another one. Went to the big hospital and they kept me overnight for pain management and I was so nauseous from pain and pain meds I wasn't able to drink anything. Dilauded did nothing for me. They pretty much kept me on oxycodone and zofran. About 24 hours after I arrived I told them I wanted to leave and would deal with it at home. That night that one passed. The following week, it happened again. I chugged and chugged water because I knew it was coming and it shortened the time I was in pain by about half. I took the oxycodone they had prescribed me to take at home and I was able to get through it on my couch in the comfort of my home.

Can you take oxycodone? My OBGYN said it was as safe as a pain med could be for this sort of thing, so you might ask? Just drink as much water as you possibly can. Be warned, if you do take the oxy you might end up with a migraine when you're done with it. Try and taper off of it if you take it. Also, a warm bath helped me. Good luck, I feel your pain! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!
  • Loading the player...
  • My SIL gets them while pregnant. She said it was more painful than labor!

I think her Dr attributed hers to prenatal vitamins. She would take kid vitamins and folic acid. You might want to talk to your Dr to see what may be causing them.
  • I currently have a kidney stone and have a tube in my right kidney until delivery of baby. I actually just had it changed a couple days ago. Im sadly an extreme case :(
  • @myconfessionx‌ you poor thing! I don't know how you deal with something like that along with all the other "joys" of pregnancy. According to the mri I still have another one in there that's 5mm. If that sucker tries to pass I'll be on the tube or in surgery as well. It's like being in kidney hell with these stones!!
  • Yikes, ladies! Hoping you all pass these stones and dont have any more. Feeling for you all.
  • I have passed one so far this time. They ultrasound performed by the nephrologist stated that they are small enough to pass without needing surgical, laser therapy or hydropropulsion to break them down but it still hurts like a b**ch to pass.
  • As I sit at the Urologist with my DH who passed his first on Wednesday night! Pray there are no more!!
  • Its hard to deal. Im 19 weeks and already sick of it. Not to mention embarrassing to have a urine back attached to u 24/7! lol. oh well, pretty much half way!
  • Thank you for the suggestions and for letting me know I am not the only one living in kidney stones and pregnant hell! This stone still has not passed! I am currently curled on the couch in massive pain after already taken two vicodin!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"