July 2015 Moms
Options

PPD?

I am wondering if any of you have suffered from PPD. Was there ever a time where the meds didn't work? I am worried that I might end up with it and am planning to start taking the meds a week or two before my due date. However, I just started wondering if there was anyone out there who did take the meds and still had a rough time. Aside from the meds, what were you able to do to help the symptoms. I am so worried about the recovery process and PPD that it is starting to cause a lot of anxiety.

Re: PPD?

• Options
    Why are you worried about it? Do you have a history of depression? Are you currently under doctor care?
  • Options
    I do have a history of depression and anxiety. I also went through a stage the first few weeks I was pregnant. Yes, I am under a docs care. She said that I was very likely to get it so that I should prepare myself for it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had PPD after 2 of my babies. Ironically, it was after both my girls. The meds worked for me. They just put me back on the same meds/dosage I was on when I needed them for depression. Stop stressing about it, it's not going to do any good to worry yourself sick over it. Also, you don't want to get so worked up you think you have it, and you don't have it. Just because you struggled with depression doesn't mean you WILL get PPD. Also, if you had some
    Problems in the beginning of pregnancy why are you not on meds now? To keep you on track throughout the pregnancy? I just talked to my doctor yesterday to go back on my anti depressants because I'm struggling, so I know you don't have to be totally med free during pregnancy. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health.
  • Options
    I read that placenta encapsulation helps with ppd. I'm sorry I can't relate, but thought id pass the info along. Can't hurt to research it more. Good luck. Hope you find peace.
  • Options
    I find it strange your doctor wants to put you on medication before you even know if you'll have ppd. I had ppa and I don't plan on getting on anything Unless I notice the symptoms. I am trying placenta encapsulation this time because everyone I know of or have spoken to with at least two kids and two postpartum periods reported better mood and overall energy with them compared to without. Maybe look into this? Anyway regardless of your history of depression it's not guaranteed you will get ppd but do what you are comfortable with.
  • Options
    @Mamamads‌ Do you have any additional info to share about placenta encapsulation. Looking into it for the energy and recovery Assistance but my husband is freaked out by it. Yes, I've googled it. But looking for more personalized info. Could you share some insight?
  • Options
    I had it after I had my son. I was on it 6 months before the Dr had me wean off. Getting off the medicine was worse than my depression itself.
  • Options
    MamamadsMamamads member
    edited January 2015
    Ckorines said:

@Mamamads‌ Do you have any additional info to share about placenta encapsulation. Looking into it for the energy and recovery Assistance but my husband is freaked out by it. Yes, I've googled it. But looking for more personalized info. Could you share some insight?

Yes! My doula offers the service and shared some of the benefits with me such as improved quality of sleep, accelerated recovery, facilitated bonding with baby, increased sense of balance, increased strength/vitality, regulation of hormones, uterine involution, increased libido, reduced pain, weight loss and increased milk supply. The highest reported benefit is mood/baby blues help. You can look at placentaservice.com or placentaAssociation.com for more information. If you want to look for someone in your area who does placenta capsules try looking on doulamatch.net and email some doulas in your area. They can either provide the service for you or recommend someone who can. To help convince your husband: the bottom line is it can't hurt anything, many mammals eat their placentas, it would take around 30-40 different supplements to replicate the amount of nutrients found in the placenta. From my research it's pretty affordable for what you are getting at around $100-200. Another nice benefit is the pills you have leftover from the postpartum period can be frozen and taken when you are having bad Pms/cramps/headaches etc. Hope this helps, good luck convincing the hubs!!
  • Options
    Wow. Thank you for his incredible answer. I think we had him at, "increased libido!" Much appreciated, momma!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"