February 2015 Moms
Options

possible induction

lmhowell14lmhowell14 member
edited January 2015 in February 2015 Moms
I'm 39 weeks yesterday and my doctor put a "no later than" date for 6 days after my due date. We scheduled an induction if necessary, and I understand his concerns with going over my due date significantly, but I'm wary of not letting it happen naturally. I also have a STRONG desire to do this naturally and to avoid having to have an episitomy. I've heard they are much more common with inductions. Thoughts? Anyone been induced and given birth naturally??

Re: possible induction

• Options
    I was induced with #1 at 41+5 and wound up with a section two days later. I did not have a good experience although I know some who did. I was 1cm dilated going in, so I really thought it might be quick and easy. Pitocin did nothing for me from 7am until around 11pm, then I had horrible, non-stop contractions. 4am I got an epidural, 8am I was fully dilated but couldn't push for two hours because the doctor was busy with two scheduled c sections. By 10 I had a fever, pushed for 40 minutes and had a c section because baby's heart rate wouldn't come below 220.

My OB had tried to get me to have an induction at 41 weeks, but there's really no reason for it if you're passing the biophysical profiles/non-stress tests. I would say no at 41 weeks, personally. Good luck!
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am being induced at 40+6. The doctor explained that she didn't want me going past 41w, which is her cut off. I have faith in her because she is the doctor with the license and a name tag, not me. As PP has said, concerns start to arise as your baby's kidneys are producing less and less amniotic fluid and the placenta becomes pretty fatigued at this point. Regarding an episiotomy: if you don't want one, tell them. Doctors have their suggestions but ultimately you get to choose. Best of luck to you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      

Married 9/10/11 * BFP 6/9/14 * EDD 1/25/15

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The midwives we see will let you deliver with them between 37 and 42 weeks. If you go beyond 40, they watch you carefully and might send you for a stress test if needed. Due dates are just an estimate, and babies are not all born on the 40 week time table. Cycle lengths are very different too p depending on the woman. Inductions do lead to harder labor, more interventions, and more c-sections. Of course they are sometimes necessary, but I would let nature take its course (personally) unless there was compelling evidence that baby or mom is in distress.
  • Options
    If you are not comfortable with being induced, switch to a certified nurse midwife.  The Doctors at my practice are very hands off and only come into the room at the very end. Doctors generally go by the book and will induce 6-10 days after your due date.  A midwife will let you go 42 and then try natural indication methods.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am being induced at 40+6. The doctor explained that she didn't want me going past 41w, which is her cut off. I have faith in her because she is the doctor with the license and a name tag, not me. As PP has said, concerns start to arise as your baby's kidneys are producing less and less amniotic fluid and the placenta becomes pretty fatigued at this point. Regarding an episiotomy: if you don't want one, tell them. Doctors have their suggestions but ultimately you get to choose. Best of luck to you.

Interesting - I wonder if 41 vs. 42 weeks is regional? I don't know anyone around us who had to have an induction at only 41 weeks.

The more you know :)
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My doc sais the chances of developing problems after 41 weeks increase slightly. And slightly isn't something he's willing to gamble with for his own babies, so it isn't something he gambles with for his patients. I'm praying for both of our sakes that the little guy comes on time and I don't have to be induced. I'll check out the Natural Births board. Thanks for the advice, ladies!
  • Options
    I was induced for 28 hours, had a vaginal delivery. It took cervidil, switching to a fresh pit bag half way through, and rolling me from side to side to get there but we did it. When pushing, dr did mention I might need an episiotomy, we didn't end up needing it but I did tear in 2 different spots. Best of luck!
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    mrdcle said:
    If you are not comfortable with being induced, switch to a certified nurse midwife.  The Doctors at my practice are very hands off and only come into the room at the very end. Doctors generally go by the book and will induce 6-10 days after your due date.  A midwife will let you go 42 and then try natural indication methods.   
    It's a bit late in the game to switch to a CNM. And also...my midwife is only comfortable letting me go to 42 weeks. OP I'm a FTM so I'm not positive on giving birth med-free with an induction (not counting the pit) but I do have a couple friends who have done it along with my mom. So it is possible :)
    OP is saying she is not comfortable being induced.  I am not sure what her alternatives are, though.  Also, my midwives don't let you go past 42.  

• Options
    mrdcle said:
    mrdcle said:
    It's a bit late in the game to switch to a CNM. And also...my midwife is only comfortable letting me go to 42 weeks. OP I'm a FTM so I'm not positive on giving birth med-free with an induction (not counting the pit) but I do have a couple friends who have done it along with my mom. So it is possible :)
    OP is saying she is not comfortable being induced.  I am not sure what her alternatives are, though.  Also, my midwives don't let you go past 42.  
    I completely understand what OP is saying. But telling her to switch practitioners at 39+ weeks seems a little silly. And my point about my practice (MW included) inducing at 41 weeks is that it's not a guarantee even if she WAS to switch.
    True!  I guess it never hurts to ask, though.  Good luck, OP!  

• Options
    My OB doesn't let you go a day past 41 weeks either because he says there is an increase in "fetal mortality".

With DS, he stripped my membranes at 40+6 and scheduled me to check in to the hospital that evening so they could do Cervicil and then induce the next morning. I started having contractions about two hours before I was supposed to be at the hospital. They went ahead and did the Cervicil but didn't have to do the Pitocin. 27 hours later, DS was born.

I also think that babies will come when they are ready but he got me with the whole thing about something happening to the baby if I didn't deliver.
  • Options
    maryxc1 said:

My OB doesn't let you go a day past 41 weeks either because he says there is an increase in "fetal mortality".

With DS, he stripped my membranes at 40+6 and scheduled me to check in to the hospital that evening so they could do Cervicil and then induce the next morning. I started having contractions about two hours before I was supposed to be at the hospital. They went ahead and did the Cervicil but didn't have to do the Pitocin. 27 hours later, DS was born.

I also think that babies will come when they are ready but he got me with the whole thing about something happening to the baby if I didn't deliver.

Exactly. I will have lots more questions at our next appointment, if we don't have a baby before then. I wasn't prepared for the discussion last time. My doctor is great and I trust him, I just want induction to be an absolute last resort.
  • Options
    I have had 2 natural childbirths and was induced with both of them (each with a different reason). I'm more afraid of needles and an epi that I wanted natural. I wasn't even poked for an IV. Hopefully the same will happen this time around. Both labor and deliveries went smooth. Once I was induced with my first (broke my water and started pitocin) my son was born 8 hours later. I did tear in a couple places - which they applied a topical while stitching me up, but no episiotomy. Same process with baby 2, except labor/delivery was over in 5 hours after being induced. I know that this is not "normal" but I wanted to share my experience with you as well as those that had a bad/hard experience with being induced.
  • Options
    The midwives we see will let you deliver with them between 37 and 42 weeks. If you go beyond 40, they watch you carefully and might send you for a stress test if needed. Due dates are just an estimate, and babies are not all born on the 40 week time table. Cycle lengths are very different too p depending on the woman. Inductions do lead to harder labor, more interventions, and more c-sections. Of course they are sometimes necessary, but I would let nature take its course (personally) unless there was compelling evidence that baby or mom is in distress.
    This. Personally, I think I'd need compelling evidence that my baby was in a bad situation (ex. tests showed problems) before I agreed to induce before 42 weeks. 
  • Options
    babybou3 said:

I have had 2 natural childbirths and was induced with both of them (each with a different reason). I'm more afraid of needles and an epi that I wanted natural. I wasn't even poked for an IV. Hopefully the same will happen this time around. Both labor and deliveries went smooth. Once I was induced with my first (broke my water and started pitocin) my son was born 8 hours later. I did tear in a couple places - which they applied a topical while stitching me up, but no episiotomy. Same process with baby 2, except labor/delivery was over in 5 hours after being induced. I know that this is not "normal" but I wanted to share my experience with you as well as those that had a bad/hard experience with being induced.

This is very helpful and relieves some of my anxieties. If I have to be induced, I hope to share some of your experience!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"