Natural Birth
Options

Un-studied natural birth?

Not sure the best way to say it, obviously, but has anyone prepared (mentally, I suppose) to birth med-free without studying up on it?  I know there is the Bradley Method and Hypnobirth and all that jazz, but I have a toddler and work full time, so there isn't a lot of free time to do classes, and I'm already 36 weeks (+2 days) so I don't have much time to dedicate to studying up...

All I know is that I want to go in and do it as med-free as possible. Ideally, no pitocin, no epidural, etc.  I'm GBS negative so I can labor at home as long as I want, and Dr. said not to worry about time if my water does break, that the 24 hour rule is kind of old school (not asking for tips on this, I love my Dr and trust him).  

So anyway, anyone gone about it this way? Just with the goal of a NB without all the paper and books??

Re: Un-studied natural birth?

• Options
    I believe that my sister just sort of winged it and had a low intervention birth. It sounds like you have a few good basic ideas and that your Dr. is of a similar mindset. Women all over the world have unstudied natural births, every day! I liked reading up a head of time, but that is very much my personality. 
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u member
    edited January 2015
    Breathe and ride the contractions as they come. I remembered the Ina May jaw tip as well. I did a prenatal yoga class during my first pg, and controlled breathing was the most helpful tip I got out of it - I used it during my first and second labors. Good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I winged it and went med-free. I had read up on coping strategies and good positions for labouring/pushing. Did a general ante-natal class.

I think mostly it was luck that I didn't have a lengthy labour or a difficult labour to try and work through.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    I didn't take any classes or read anything really for my 2 natural home births. I looked into positive affirmations, but that was the extant of it.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Options
    For millions of years women have birthed naturally without any preparation. It's what you're designed to do. It would make more sense to prepare mentally for a medicalized labor but I know that's an uncommon opinion.

We took private Bradley classes, I've listed to hypnobirthing tracks, and read a ton of books on the subject. We've probably done a little overkill but it's our first and honestly we have the time so that's why. I hope it will help when the time comes, but believe that ultimately labor and delivery will go as it would either way. Being educated about what your body will go through during labor relieves a lot of fear, and it sounds like your doctor is on board with a med free birth and that is one of the most important pieces of the puzzle. I would consider what things may help you relax during labor and make a list of things to bring with you to the hospital. Birthing ball, back massage ball, aromatherapy, soft music, a mat to labor on the floor if needed, etc. And make sure your husband knows a lot about the birth process so he doesn't get freaked out and can support you properly. You can do it! :) 

If you want a resource, I highly recommend skimming "Natural Birth the Bradley Way" with your husband. It is a quick read and will tell you (or remind you) about the stages of labor and what to expect, and has tips for when to head to the hospital. It has a lot of great resources for dad to figure out how to help you, too. We really love that book and keep referencing it above all the others we've read. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I had a natural birth and what I did to prepare was watch other natural births on youtube and read other women's empowering birth stories. My best advice would be to breath, not fight the contractions, and accept the pain as it is the feeling of becoming dialated. It was my instinct to hold my breath and clench up, but the second the nurse told me that I relaxed and just let my body do its thing lol

• Options
    I've had 2 natural births. Each time DH and I did a one-day class. That was it. I happened to come across a video on YouTube of someone talking about C breaths, where you breathe slowly out, letting your body relax and open up in a C or J shape, thinking about everything from your jaw to your vajayjay opening up. That was incredibly helpful, even though it sounds slightly nuts. The woman kept talking about how there's no need to push, you just breathe the baby out. That was a crock. You push. Your body suddenly just makes you push. Even if the nurse is yelling at you not to push because you transitioned in a nanosecond and the doctor isn't there to catch. :wink:
  • Options

I had a natural birth and what I did to prepare was watch other natural births on youtube and read other women's empowering birth stories. My best advice would be to breath, not fight the contractions, and accept the pain as it is the feeling of becoming dialated. It was my instinct to hold my breath and clench up, but the second the nurse told me that I relaxed and just let my body do its thing lol

This.

I had a homebirth and I did read Spiritual midwifery which is mostly a collection of birth stories. I didn't practice any relaxation techniques. I didn't have an easy time relaxing at first but when the second MW got there she helped me to not fight so much and relax.

I'm 9 weeks along with #2 now and I hope to practice relaxation a little before the birth in hopes that it might be a little easier this time.

In short it's totally doable without preparation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I rented some books (which I only read parts of) and a 1990s Lamaze dvd from the local library. I also watched some YouTube videos. My OB and nurses acted as great coaches and I had briefed my husband on my wishes. I was happy with the outcome. Good luck!
  • Options
    I read the Bradley book, but didn't really feel like it was for me. What I think actually helped me was reading Ina May's book (multiple times) so that I was very familiar with different positions, relaxation techniques, etc.
    In the end, I just did what felt good. For the most part, I labored on the birthing ball and breathed slowly through each contraction.
  • Options
    I read the book "Supernatural Childbirth" that has tons of Scripture and confess type things (like prayers). It's not for everyone since it is a Christian book. However, what it really boils down to is being mentally prepared. Knowing that fear brings pain is a very important concept to understand. Like pp said, you need to stay calm and go with your contractions. When you tense up and fight them, that's when you feel the pain. Maybe for you its just practicing techniques to relax. Best of luck to you!
    DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I didn't mean to post and not come back - 'tis life I suppose, but I truly appreciate all the input!!
  • Options
    @emmyg65 - how did your labor go?  I know we are on the same BMB and I haven't seen a birth story (not to say there isn't one...though)
  • Options
    We didn't end up taking any classes. We intended to but baby had a different plan. He came last Monday(4wks+2days early), classes were scheduled for the following weekend. I also read Ina May's book and a few others. I feel reading kept me calm and I never "freaked out" or got scared of labor.
  • Options
    I had a natural birth and did no prep. I live in a remote place so access to obtaining materials are a bit harder. I didn't want to spend extra money on ordering books that may or may not help.
    I just went in knowing that I was going to do the best that I can. I also knew that if I needed some assistance with med, or anything I would do what is best for the baby and me at that time.
    Turns out I was so fast that I couldn't have medication since there was no time!
    Granted it was hard, painful but it was worth it!
    I found what helped was to have a good partner to help you focus on breathing. Breath through the pain... find a focus spot for me it was a star through the window outside at night.
    Like people have mentioned... we are built for this. And women have been giving birth for years!
  • Options
    I'm doing the same - winging it. It's not that I don't have the time right now, but I don't really respond to any of the techniques I've read up on. I really support this approach, too. Several friends of mine have said they studied various techniques, and that instinct just kicked in once they were past that first stage of labor. I'd also like to try natural - I'd be so interested in hearing more from moms who have done it!
  • Options
    I didn't take any classes with my first and I don't plan to again with my second. I was told my my midwife to follow my gut during labor and not push until I felt the urge to push. Following my own gut during labor and delivery made things go so smoothly. During my first birth, I told my midwife when I was crowning. She never checked how far along I was dilated, just let me do my thing! That made the whole birthing experience amazing!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"