February 2015 Moms
Options

NST testing for being overweight?

Hi all, I'm 37 weeks FTM and just had an appt with a Dr. I've never seen before, and I'm not quite sure how to feel about it. First he proceeds to tell me how I have so many stretch marks and if I put lotion on...really?? After that he asks me how much I weigh, And that he wants to calculate my bmi. My bmi is over 40, but I have never had any issues with my blood pressure, no gestational DB, babies heart rate always been strong, only gained 25 pounds this pregnancy, and I'm young. After the appt, the nurse tells me that the Dr. Wants me to have a NST twice a week until birth, simply because of my BMI. I'm debating emailing my primary OB and asking if this is really necessary. Has anyone had a similar experience?? FYI none of the other DR's I've seen have ever brought this up.

Re: NST testing for being overweight?

• Options
    I would talk to your primary OB first.
  • Options
    It seems this doctor was WAY out of line. I'd definitely be contacting my primary OB. If your OB wasn't worried why should he be?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Contact your primary OB. This is my second pregnancy being obese by BMI standards and I never had to go through NST.
  • Options
    Is an NST the same as the baby ECG thing (it has another name but I can't remober it)? Can't tell from the google. I know I have a 'baby ECG' every week and they monitor the baby's heartbeat for about 15 mins.
    Maybe this OB is just being cautious as he would be for anyone regardless of BMI? But still it sounds like his bedside manner needs some work!
  • Options
    My bmi is 32 and I'm obese as well according to that. I've only had a nst once with my first pregnancy and that was bc I reached my due date.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    GreenPony33GreenPony33 member
    edited January 2015
    I have had to have a NST and an ultrasound every week since 36 weeks due to my pre-pregnancy BMI.  No other issues, no extreme wt gain, no gestational diabetes and have had, knock on wood, a great pregnancy.  My OB office says it is their "BMI protocol". 

I also was concerned at first because it wasn't my primary OB that brought it up but another physician in their office and I was just told it was to "check the growth of the baby".  It actually had my husband freaked out that something was going on that they weren't telling us. 

When I asked my regular OB about it and if it was necessary he explained the research and reasoning behind it.  He said that it was to check the fluid level and the placenta, because research shows that there is a small percent of women who who have a higher per-pregnancy BMI that can have their placentas start to "age early" starting at 36 weeks (he said all placentas start to age around that time but some can age more rapidly and inhibit oxygen and nutrients to the baby).  He said that by having the weekly NST they are able to catch those babies and moms that it might happen to.  Even though the percentage is small he said it is to "put everyone on the same playing field" and to catch any potential early complications.

Now as far as 2x a week I just would not be able to accommodate that with work because my appointments take about 1.5 hrs because we have the NST, an ultrasound and then an appointment with the doctor. Maybe see if they can do them 1 x a week (if they explain it to you and you feel they are warranted)?  I do know that if we go over the due date then we will have 2x week appointments, but I think that is normal?  (Also, in my office, weekly appointments starting at 36 weeks is considered "normal" just not everyone has the NST and ultrasounds).

EDITED for spelling
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I was actually more concerned with my weight than my midwife. I thought that I wouldn't be able to go the midwife route because I'd automatically be high risk due to my BMI. Not the case.

My blood pressure has stayed normal. Blood work and family history is normal. GD was negative. Other than encouraging me to limit my weight gain to 15lbs or so, she has made no adjustments in my care.

If that happened to me, I would not be seeing that Doctor again.

• Options
    I know this is a delicate issue and this doctor sounds like he needs to work on his bedside manner, but what's the big deal with doing the NSTs? I'm sure he's just taking all necessary precautions and sounds like he has you and your baby's best interests at heart. I'd be relieved if I was being monitored as closely as you; I don't have weekly apps. Also, like it or not, with a higher BMI comes greater risks; I'm glad you've had a healthy pregnancy to date but at this stage it's best to be careful in case of pre-eclampsia or other complications. Please don't take this the wrong way as it's not intended to be snarky. Speak to your primary care provider too for more info if that makes you feel more comfortable. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the input everyone...I think I will just wait and see how my appointments go next week. The only concern I have with such close monitoring is upon further research, NST's have a high rate for false positives, which in turn results in unnecessary inductions and c-sections....which I definitely would like to avoid at all costs. Plus, I just feel that with how active and aside from my weight, healthy I am, It's hard to think my weight alone would cause a stillbirth for my child. Not to mention how crazy active she is!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"