High-Risk Pregnancy

need a little help with my Go diet

Ladies,
I am trying so hard right now and I know that failing is not completely in my control but ugh it's hard when my numbers are so close. I am on 20 units of insulin at night for my fasting number. It is still high even with having a snack. My lowest fasting has been 117. My numbers after meals are so close it drives me crazy I am following my diet to a T but they are normally around 122 sometimes lower but mostly right above my goal. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance

Re: need a little help with my Go diet

• Protein protein protein! Especially with your bed time snack. I'm not on insulin (yet) but I would think the more protein you had the more steadily your numbers would rise and fall. Also, stressing over it doesn't help your blood sugars at all. Try not to think too much on it and know that you're doing everything you can. With permission from your dr or dietician, perhaps you could cut your carbs at meal times just a tad and see if that gets you within range. Good luck, hon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Thanks. I am trying not to stress about it. Just a little frustrating. I can eat nothing but protein for breakfast and still have high numbers.lol I eat nothing but eggs and either sausage or bacon for breakfast normally and still nothing. just a little bit of a pain. I will add more protein to my night snack to see if it helps just have to roll with it and do what I can for now.

• Loading the player...
  • I think nothing but protein is also not a good idea. The goal is for your numbers to be stable, not spike when you do finally eat carbs. I'm not an expert though. I eat two pieces of toast with my eggs and my numbers have been great after breakfast. Good luck! It's frustrating when you feel like you should be able to control it easier! I understand that!

• Yes, Very frustrating. This is my second pregnancy with it and it the first one was even more frustrating. I had to switch doctors because they did nothing for me except send me back and forth between the nurtionist and the doctor. When they finally gave me my insulin they gave me no direction on how to use it. I finally switched to an OBGYN and got results. My doctor is trying hard this time. I am call once a week right now to give my numbers and he is adjusting as we go. He is confused by the fact that my numbers are great in the afternoon and evening but high in the mornings. I write down everything I eat so it seems odd to him. I know that I can pull through it and still have a healthy baby. Even with all the issues last time my daughter was very healthy and weighed only 6 lbs 12 oz. It's getting over this hump that is killing me. I am a pretty healthy person and to see things like this get out of hand just frustrates me to no end. I work very hard to keep myself and family healthy because diabetes, heart conditions and over all health issues do run in my family. I will try to eat a carb or two in the mornings.
  • There are different kinds of insulin (long-lasting and fast acting). Maybe you need the other (or both!). You definitely want a balance of carbs and protein with each meal and snack. Not enough carbs can also signal your body to send sugar into your blood. 

For me, I could only have 1 piece of whole wheat toast or 1/2 of a whole wheat english muffin for breakfast with lots of protein. Fruit and dairy were not good for me in the morning (even if the amount was technically in range.). I've had luck with a couple pieces of sausage and a whole wheat VANS brand waffle. Same at night... yogurt is working for me at night, but if I have 1/2 a small apple with peanut butter, my morning numbers are high. So, sometimes the KIND of carbs are just as important as how many.

It is frustrating and can be a guessing game. I'd definitely talk to you doctor about adjusting your insulin (amount and/or type). Good luck- this, too, shall pass!
    Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"