March 2015 Moms
Options

Dog around newborn

vtmejia21vtmejia21 member
edited January 2015 in March 2015 Moms
We have a 40 pound dog and are expecting baby in 4 weeks. I need input on having the dog around baby? I have taken care of babies when she's around and she shows jealousy as to growling when baby cries or even when a baby is being held. We live in a loft meanwhile we buy our house. I'm concerned about how much she sheds and the barking waking baby up. And limited space. I say we move the dog to families until the house but my husband doesn't agree. Anyone else having this issue? We hoped to have our house by the time baby arrived to make things a lot easier and have a backyard but that won't happen for another few months!

Re: Dog around newborn

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a mastiff mix that is 100+ pounds that is used to being the only baby in the house. We've been working with her for the last 2 months on the new acceptable behaviors and she is adjusting to the new rules just fine. Taking the dog out of the home and bringing it back into a new one with a baby is asking for trouble! Work on breaking the bad habits and encouraging the good ones now while you still have time without baby.
  • Options
    Sounds like you need to start training your dog now. Growling when you carry a baby can be a sign on possessiveness, meaning your dog is under the impression that she owns you. As for the shedding and barking, that's what dogs do, baby will get used to it.

Our dog is a 35 lb pit bull mix. He is the sweetest and most easy-going dog EVER. I trust him 100% with our kids. He sheds a ton and barks a lot, but he also gives kisses and eats their food messes off the floor!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    We have two pitbulls one about 45 lbs and one 85lbs. I have no worries for them being around baby. They are around our friends and families w kids often and they just wanna sniff and lick for a minute to see what or who is in a carseat( which to them probably looks like some weird contraption). As for barking, the baby has been hearing the barking while inside of you.. He or she is actually probably used to it. I'm a ftm but my brother has two dogs and three kids and his dogs never woke up the kids and they bark like crazy. Take some time to train your dog of what is now acceptable behavior. We have actually been carrying around a doll at the house for a good month now to get our dogs used to the idea.
  • Options
    We have a 100lb 2 yr old lab and were concerned about how he would be when baby came. Not towards baby but towards others visiting because he is so protective of me and sure he will be the same with newborn. So we got some professional help to work on his protectiveness. Biggest piece of advice that might help you is to start pretending you have a baby now. Get a doll, swaddle it, carry it around so pup knows when your holding the bundle of joy - jumping, cuddling, etc is off limits. We have our stroller out and as we get more baby stuff we put it out around the house to get him used to everything and teach him it's off limits, so when the baby comes it will be no big deal. Good luck!
  • Options
    Send your baby to stay with family members!!! No well then why do it with your dog! You need to teach behaviour you expect from her. The barking might wake baby up or the baby might not even be bothered by it...with the dog hair hoover up! That being said angry or aggressive behaviour needs to be nipped in the bud now as you don't need any of that when the baby comes.
  • Options
    Cesar Millan has a good article on his web site about how to introduce the dog to a newborn so that the dog knows that baby is another pack leader. Google it, and hopefully it will be helpful!
  • Options
    adelemsadelems member
    edited February 2015
    I wouldn't remove the dog from the home. But you need to seek professional training assistance ASAP. Probably should have started training and prepping a couple months ago but it's better late than never. I have two 50lbs dogs and when my DD was born we lived on a third floor apartment only 700square feet haha. My younger dog had some trouble adjusting but we worked hard to introduce them properly and to prepare them before hand. Now my DD is 4 and the dogs and her are all BFFs.

The dog hair is only an issue once the kid stars crawling. And if you don't clean often. I just have specific areas in our house the dogs aren't allowed and that's where baby gets to crawl.

Babies are surprisingly capable of sleeping through noise. My daughter sleeps through barking no problem usually.

But you NEED to find a professional to asses your situation and help! It may seem like over kill but trust me. It's CRITICAL . The trainer needs to be positive reward based or balanced. Please avoid dominance and negative training systems when it comes to creating positive associations between your dog and baby. You want your dog to LOVE your baby. You don't want it to associate the baby with discipline, dominance, aggression, being sent away, seperation, pain ect. Good luck!!
  • Options
    deeohgeedeeohgee member
    edited February 2015
    I have a PHD in dog whispering. With my experience, your dog probably is jealous and wants to have children too.
  • Options
    I have never posted on here. I mostly just skim through others posts if it seems relevant to anything I have/am experiencing. But I felt a HUGE URGE to post on this because I am appalled by some of these comments! And on other posts as well. How rude and facetious do you have to be ladies?! I am in awe at these negative words all over this app. We are all mothers and join to be connected with other women! Not knocked down and criticized! My goodness.

As for the dog I would start training immediately as you only have 4 weeks to prepare him/her for the new family member! Let the dog smell everything in the nursery, some of babies clothes...before you bring baby home have a friend or family member bring something with baby's scent on it for the dog to smell. I was a trainer at Petsmart for a year and if you have any questions feel free to private message! Also the Internet has a lot of great and helpful training tips!
  • Options

Run, don't walk, to the pound! Babies and dogs coexisting in the same household?? Impossible!!! I already fed my cat to my neighbors dog to save me from dealing with his bullshit once the baby comes

Omg I'm crying laughing
  • Options
    This book - with sounds, has been a tremendous help for me and our 75 pound dog: "Tell your dog you're pregnant". https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13830355-tell-your-dog-you-re-pregnant
    It has sound advice and training tips.
    Showing signs of aggression may require a dog behaviorist to swing by.
    Just a thought.
  • Options
    I have had a dog for 5 years and it was a super easy transition. Before I came home with the baby, my husband brought home a blanket I used in the hospital so that the dog could get the baby's scent. When I came home the dog actually sat by my feet and really just took in the sounds and behaviors of the baby. We didn't make a big deal of the baby and slowly introduced them to each other. They are now best friends and run all over my house.

Animals are smart creatures and they will adjust to change, just be smart about it.
  • Options
    This all depends on how dog is around your newborn. We have two young cats, not declawed, scratch furniture and you if provoked, and they tear up everything and are a hassle in themselves. If they scratch my daughter you best believe they are going to the pound, and I'm not sure how much patience I will have with their behavior when she gets here, they might have to go. My sister had a cat when she had her first baby, and the cat turned extremely jealous and mean so she gave her to my parents. Animals can coexist with babies it just depends on the circumstances and their behavior. From what you said it sounds like your dog may not be suitable being around a newborn. Some animals aren't...but does not mean can't be trained. If dog doesn't change around baby even after training and shows aggressive behavior, dog needs to go. I pick my daughter over any animal any day.
  • Options
    My problem w/our dog is that he does not respect me at all. We got him at 8 weeks old (He is a Rottweiler) and I was w/him a lot, working on training him w/my husband. In November, my husband and I had to go away for 4 days and 3 nights and had to board him at a kennel because the person who was supposed to watch him at our house had an emergency. We came back to a completely different dog. He started jumping on everyone (never did this before) and began biting (usually only me and on my hands). Since November, I cannot even TELL you how many bite marks/bruises I have on my hands/arms. When my husband is in the room, our dog is an angel and extremely affectionate towards me. The moment he walks out of the room or is at work, I become lunch meat and our dog stops listening. I don't know if he has fear aggression that my husband won't be coming back or what, but this behavior makes me extremely uneasy w/our baby on the way in March. Our dog has been socialized with a lot of other dogs, people, children, and our kitten that he has grown up with and never has a problem with them, he just wants to jump on them and bite their hands. . He doesn't do it aggressively more like playing. The only person he tries to aggressively bite is me on my hands. I will have help around the house and my sister is good with big dogs (Our 8 month old puppy is now 105lbs and growing). We don't foresee giving the dog up at any point, but I will choose my child over this dog that has done a complete 180 from the caring, loving, well-trained dog we had to this biting, jumping, stubborn puppy who refuses to listen to me all of a sudden. I don't see our dog being aggressive towards the baby, but I can see him jumping on me while I hold the baby, which I already told my husband I will not allow to happen and something needs to be done about this behavior. Ugh..sorry just frustrating dealing with this issue.
  • Options
    brita7869 said:

My problem w/our dog is that he does not respect me at all. We got him at 8 weeks old (He is a Rottweiler) and I was w/him a lot, working on training him w/my husband. In November, my husband and I had to go away for 4 days and 3 nights and had to board him at a kennel because the person who was supposed to watch him at our house had an emergency. We came back to a completely different dog. He started jumping on everyone (never did this before) and began biting (usually only me and on my hands). Since November, I cannot even TELL you how many bite marks/bruises I have on my hands/arms. When my husband is in the room, our dog is an angel and extremely affectionate towards me. The moment he walks out of the room or is at work, I become lunch meat and our dog stops listening. I don't know if he has fear aggression that my husband won't be coming back or what, but this behavior makes me extremely uneasy w/our baby on the way in March. Our dog has been socialized with a lot of other dogs, people, children, and our kitten that he has grown up with and never has a problem with them, he just wants to jump on them and bite their hands. . He doesn't do it aggressively more like playing. The only person he tries to aggressively bite is me on my hands. I will have help around the house and my sister is good with big dogs (Our 8 month old puppy is now 105lbs and growing). We don't foresee giving the dog up at any point, but I will choose my child over this dog that has done a complete 180 from the caring, loving, well-trained dog we had to this biting, jumping, stubborn puppy who refuses to listen to me all of a sudden. I don't see our dog being aggressive towards the baby, but I can see him jumping on me while I hold the baby, which I already told my husband I will not allow to happen and something needs to be done about this behavior. Ugh..sorry just frustrating dealing with this issue.

Yeah. Best to get this under control before baby. 105 lbs can do damage to a newborn without any intention. Any trainers in the area? Good luck.
  • Options
    I think you should try to keep the dog and work with it. Consider buying a dog gate to keep them seperate at first until you can help the dog with its behaviors through some sort of training. I have a chiuahuah and a chiweenie they are small, and very well trained so I don't have issues with them growling or being territorial. My sister had a Doberman male, and a rott mix with her newborn and they kept them locked away in a seperate area in the beginning then slowly brought them together to meet the baby on occasions. They were very curious, but behaved. She got rid of her rott mix because he was too rowdy with baby and people and he needed someone with more attention for him but now her baby is 4 months old they have a German Shepard female who is very protective over her baby. I think dogs at some point will show you if it will work out. If you've done all you can to make it work them but they still won't follow your lead and it's dangerous or you can't trust them with baby then you should find him a new home. But to me dogs are family and you are their leader, you don't give up on them & you show them how to behave.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"