Stay at Home Moms

Can I have coat help? I know nothing about winter

Ok so I grew up in the desert. I have only seen snow a handful of times in my life. DH on the other hand grew up skiing in Aspen. He wants to take DS1 skiing there this year. My problem is, I have no idea where to even look for a coat. Where do you buy your kids winter stuff? Does he need thermals for underneath? I'm guessing yes? Also can I buy the coat a little big so he can use it again next year or will it not keep him as warm like that? I don't want to do this wrong and have him hate skiing just because he's cold. He's a desert kid too. Thanks for any help! Oh he is 5 if that helps. 
Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13

Re: Can I have coat help? I know nothing about winter

• Where do you guys live? It should be pretty easy to find a coat unless you live in a very warm climate where they may not offer as many? Coats are at just about any clothing store you can think of. Just have him try some on to see what works best. You don't want it to be too tight (especially so there is room to layer underneath). I would guess that for skiing, you will want layers to be sure to keep the little guy warm. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ski gear is different from everyday coats- if your DH grew up skiing then he should be able to take this on.
  • Loading the player...
  • I second that ski gear is different. This could be really expensive for you for just a one-week usage. Is there anyone you could borrow clothing from?

A coat that's big will keep him warm, but be hard to maneuver around in when doing something like skiing. 

Thermal underwear is a good idea, too, for sure. And really warm socks, hats, mittens, ski pants, etc.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I used to teach skiing (for a living - back in the days before kids LOL)...  The above posters are 100% correct - ski gear is a completely different animal from just regular winter clothes...

Oddly enough the most important thing for you to buy are ski socks!  Multiple pairs of good moisture wicking socks will be the difference between an o.k. day and cold day on the slopes.  If your feet are warm and dry so will you perceive the rest of you.  Only wear one pair of socks at a time and bring another pair to change into mid-way through the day if his feet get cold.  This doesn't necessarily mean THICK socks, but comfortable wicking knee-highs work best.  (I usually get mine at Cabella's but Dicks or any outdoorsy type store has them too in kids sizes)

Long Underwear - Check your local Walmart.  You should be able to find some there reasonably.  I'd probably get a couple pair because it's a cheap base and easy to switch out.  Otherwise, like the jacket, order them from Land's End, their line is AWESOME!  Even for adults!

Snow pants you have a little wiggle room on the sizing because the ski boots will hold them up.  My recommendation is to get a pair of bib style ones because you can adjust this a bit more than the pant style ones.  This is "if there's one thing" is the one I'd do the most looking for.  Sadly, brand doesn't equal quality as I've gotten really great Target brand ones and really lousy name brand ones.  Spyder is a great brand for these because they aren't too thick, however Spyder tends to be spendy.  Columbia and Obermyer are two great brands that are consistently good..   Also, invest into good warm finger-gloves that are waterproof too!!!

As for the jacket, I'd recommend Land's End for an "on a budget but don't want to cheap out on a jacket".  They have ones that you can release the sleeve for a larger jacket the following year if need be. 

Otherwise, the helmet is something that is important as I believe many resorts out west have gone to requiring them for kids.  You may be able to rent this, but eww..  A good ski helmet needs to pass the "Achooo" test meaning does it stay on their head without wiggling for an all body sneeze...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yes, exactly what pp'er said.  Ski gear is uncomfortable enough for a kid.  If they are cold/wet, they are more likely to hate it.  I got DS's snow pants this year at Land's End.  They are really nice and durable. I also like LLBean snow bibs.  They are my favorites for little kids.  Very nice construction, easy to take off/on and comfortable.   At this point in the season where we live, selection sucks though.  Snow gear sizes are already picked over and many stores are changing over to spring stuff.  You might have more luck deciding what brand you want, then ordering online. Wish I was going skiiing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MesmrEwe said:

I used to teach skiing (for a living - back in the days before kids LOL)...  The above posters are 100% correct - ski gear is a completely different animal from just regular winter clothes...

Oddly enough the most important thing for you to buy are ski socks!  Multiple pairs of good moisture wicking socks will be the difference between an o.k. day and cold day on the slopes.  If your feet are warm and dry so will you perceive the rest of you.  Only wear one pair of socks at a time and bring another pair to change into mid-way through the day if his feet get cold.  This doesn't necessarily mean THICK socks, but comfortable wicking knee-highs work best.  (I usually get mine at Cabella's but Dicks or any outdoorsy type store has them too in kids sizes)

Long Underwear - Check your local Walmart.  You should be able to find some there reasonably.  I'd probably get a couple pair because it's a cheap base and easy to switch out.  Otherwise, like the jacket, order them from Land's End, their line is AWESOME!  Even for adults!

Snow pants you have a little wiggle room on the sizing because the ski boots will hold them up.  My recommendation is to get a pair of bib style ones because you can adjust this a bit more than the pant style ones.  This is "if there's one thing" is the one I'd do the most looking for.  Sadly, brand doesn't equal quality as I've gotten really great Target brand ones and really lousy name brand ones.  Spyder is a great brand for these because they aren't too thick, however Spyder tends to be spendy.  Columbia and Obermyer are two great brands that are consistently good..   Also, invest into good warm finger-gloves that are waterproof too!!!

As for the jacket, I'd recommend Land's End for an "on a budget but don't want to cheap out on a jacket".  They have ones that you can release the sleeve for a larger jacket the following year if need be. 

Otherwise, the helmet is something that is important as I believe many resorts out west have gone to requiring them for kids.  You may be able to rent this, but eww..  A good ski helmet needs to pass the "Achooo" test meaning does it stay on their head without wiggling for an all body sneeze…

Ok so can DS wear some bibs he has from walmart? or will that possibly be too cold?
    Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  •  

Ok so can DS wear some bibs he has from walmart? or will that possibly be too cold?
    If push comes to shove, yes...  But honestly I haven't been impressed with the Walmart ones the past few years.  They just aren't as waterproofed as I'd like for skiing/snowboarding.  Recess at school they'd get the job done, but more than that is pushing it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"