February 2015 Moms
Options

Successful VBAC birth story

We did it!!

Short version: I was set to be induced on Friday, but after a membrane strip yesterday I went into labor or my own over night and delivered our baby girl, Vivienne Nora, today at 11:14 am. The delivery was a successful VBAC attempt. Yay!

(Very) Long version: 20 months ago I gave birth to a beautiful little girl whom we named Charlotte Elizabeth. I was induced with her at 40+2, labored (with an epi) for 12 hours, pushed for 30 min, and was rushed to the OR for an emergency c-section. I healed well from that and Charlotte is now a perfectly healthy and happy toddler, but since that day I knew I wanted to attempt a VBAC with our next child.

Fast forward to yesterday: I was at 39+5 and was 3 days away from another scheduled induction. At 3pm I had an appointment for a membrane sweep as a last ditch effort to encourage spontaneous labor before the induction. I started having cramping and irregular contractions almost immediately afterward. They organized as the evening went on and got as close as 5-6 min apart for a couple hours. Just as I began to think I should head to the hospital they stopped. Completely.

I was disappointed, but decided to just head to bed and not let it get me down. At 2:45 I woke up thinking "ow!!" I was "cramping" again and it was painful enough that I could not get back to sleep. I labored silently next to my sleeping husband for over an hour before I woke him. I had convinced myself that they would just go away again like they did earlier that evening . My contractions were about 4-5 min apart at this time. I decided that was the perfect time for a shower. Who knows why, but I felt like it was the thing to do. By the time I got out of the shower and got dressed the contractions were getting much more painful. They brought me to my knees and were starting to be only 3 or 4 min apart. I still wasn't sure if I should go or not, but my DH had had enough and insisted we call the babysitter.

Finally, after 30 mins of waiting on the babysitter, we left for the hospital. I remember telling my husband "you don't have to run red lights or anything, but can't you at least go A LITTLE over the speed limit?!?" My contractions were rough and starting to come less than 3min apart. I got to the ER at 5am, got checked in, and was checked at 6 cm dilated. They started an iv and broke my water. That made the contractions so much more painful! I asked for an epidural at 6:30 when I was 7cm dilated. They never had to administer pitocin and I was at 10cm by about 9:30, but we had to wait AN HOUR for the doctor to come. Finally at 10:30 I started pushing and pushed for just over 30 min. Good Lord, pushing is hard work!! I have bruises on my fingers from gripping the pushing handles so hard. After an episiotomy (2nd degree) our little Vivienne Nora was born at 11:14. I did it!!

I was so overcome with joy and gratitude that I was able to deliver our baby girl without a RCS. They immediately put her on my chest and I kissed her forehead and spoke to her and soaked in the sweetness of the moment. However the nurse became concerned about her breathing and color and took her to the isolet to try and get her breathing better. As I was being sewn up I watched as more and more people began to surround our little girl. They called my husband over and said that she had too much fluid in her lungs and would have to be sent to the NICU. Oh the tears! I wanted so badly to be able to have that precious skin to skin time and nurse my baby, but it wasn't in the cards.

Vivienne is still in the NICU. She may be there 2 days or 2 weeks. The doctors will know more tomorrow. I've been pumping for her and have gotten to visit her once. The biggest concern right now is that she doesn't have pneumonia. I'm struggling with not being able to hold her, but I am thankful she is getting great care and she is otherwise healthy.

Thank you all so much for the past nine months of support and fun- and for the prayers and words of encouragement today.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Successful VBAC birth story

• Options
    Congrats on your new bundle of joy and being able to have the birth experience you wanted!

Prayers for a quick recovery for both you and Vivienne.
    imageimageimage
                                     **DS 12/17/10** **#2 Due 2/14/15**

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    What an amazing birth story! I'm so happy for you to successfully complete a VBAC! I will keep Vivienne in my thoughts and prayers. Sending you lots of positive thoughts also! :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What an absolutely gorgeous name! I just adore it. Congratulations!
    Anniversary  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Good work, warrior momma! Prayers all around
  • Options
    Congratulations! Praying for a short NICU stay for Vivienne Nora.
  • Options
    Thinking of you both, and hoping your little girl feels better soon!
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Congrats! I'm glad things went the way you planned. FX for a short NICU stay for Vivienne.

photo tumblr_mvhtjpmhbh1sg96flo1_r2_500_zpsed277910.gif

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers   

• Options
    Congratulations mama!  Thinking of you and your sweet girl.  Prayers for a quick recovery!
  • Options
    Congratulations! Your story makes me want to try for a vbac even more!! Prayers for your little girl that she gets to be back in your arms very soon!

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    kartishkartish member
    edited January 2015
    Congratulations! T&Ps for a quick Nicu stay and speedy recovery for you both.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations and awesome work mama! T&P for a quick recovery so you can get that little girl home!
  • Options
    Oh congrats!! I love her name. Good job mama, I am praying little Vivienne does fine and leaves the NICU soon.
    imageimageimage
    As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
    Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
    Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
    Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
    Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Congratulations! Both of your girls have beautiful names.
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Options
    Congratulations and my prayers are with you two! 
    Me: 27
    DH: 28
    Together: 2005
    Married: 2008
    Naming our son after a cartoon character: 2/23/15!
  • Options
    Congrats and prayers for you all!
  • Options
    So glad you were able to have the VBAC!! Congratulations!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"