Working Moms

My intro.

Hi ladies!  I've been a poster from PGAL, BFing, and D14 and have been lurking on this board for a while, so I figured it was time to post an intro.  I'm a FTM and a middle school language arts teacher.  I'm still on maternity leave (DS is about 1 1/2 months old now) and I'm returning to work in mid-April.  I've been at my school for 3 years but I've been teaching for about 6 years (previously I taught high school) and I love my job, but I am a bit nervous about returning to work and adjusting to mommyhood.  A couple of my concerns are being able to balance pumping/Bfing and working (the BF board has been a huge help with responding to my questions on that one) and being there to witness my DS's milestones.  I also am worried that splitting my time between work and being a mom might make some of my guilt surface since I am somewhat afraid I won't be able to do my best in both worlds (that also might be the PP hormones talking).  DH works too and DS will be attending daycare in September (my parents graciously offered to help out from April until my summer break).  I look forward to getting to know you and hearing your ideas/suggestions on how to be successful as a working mom. Thanks :-)
Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

Re: My intro.

• Nice to meet you! I understand your concerns. I work 7-4, Monday-Friday and I am Active Duty AF. My best advice is to make the most of your time spent with DS when you're at home- you already have breastfeeding bonding time, which meant the world to me when I was still nursing. Fortunately, at I have managed to enter complete work-mode when entering the office- I fully concentrate on my work and the day goes by quickly. Once I leave for the day, I have entered complete mommy-mode and I can focus on DS. Taking vacation days is also a huge help. Last year I took time off to take DS to the Bahamas and another random week to go home to NY, and we spent everyday doing something fun and enjoying the time. It really helped me with connecting with him and feeling ok with returning to work afterwards. Try to do that every year if you can.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Hi! My best advice is to not set any expectations for the first few weeks. Try a routine and tweek it as you go if necessary. Once I get home from work, I only do what needs done to maximize time with DS. I cook dinner and I might do dishes if he is busy playing or DH is there to help. In the early months though, its about survival. There were many times I "washed" bottles and pump parts by throwing them in the Medela steam bags and called it good. I save all chores and exercising for after he goes to bed. When its warm out I do like to run before I pick him up or DH gets home with him. Do as much as you can the night before. I also like to try and get up before DS to get myself ready and if it works out well, eat breakfast by myself. Its nice to have 10-15 minutes of peace and quiet to enjoy breakfast and a cup of coffee before the madness begins. You'll find what works for you and your family, and it will probably change as he gets older. As for missing milestones, my MIL watches DS and we have an agreement that she can't tell me that he did something unless I tell her about it first. Like she couldn't say anything about him rolling over at her house until I said I saw him roll over. I do this with DH since he works 24 hours shifts. I witnessed DS's first steps, but as far as DH is concerned, he took his first steps 2 days later. Enjoy the rest of your time off!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies!! That's great advice, @jasminelorraine20‌. One of my goals is to do a lot less work at home which is going to be hard as a teacher but I will try. Also @ErinO21‌ I never thought about the milestones like that but its brilliant!! I am definitely telling DH about your idea.
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"