Breastfeeding
Options

ameda purely yours?

Any input on this pump? Its what my insurance is covering and i had my heart set on a medela, because it was so good when i used one in the hospital.
Im a full time working mama, so itd be used alot.

Re: ameda purely yours?

• Options
    I used it twice a day for about 8 to 9 months and it worked fine but if you feel like it's not working well, don't hesitate to call their customer service, they are great and they even sent me a new pump when I felt that mine wasn't working right.

I like that it's a closed system, compact, and you can operate the speed and section separately.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I used this pump with my first and loved it. I pumped 3 times a day at work for almost 1 year and never had any problems with it.  You might need to play with the settings to find what works best for you and remember to change out the little white valves about once a month or so I usually changed mine about every 6 weeks.  Also make sure you get the correct size flanges for your breast I had to get a different size than what came with mine to get a correct fit.  My plan is to use my same pump again once I start pumping after little one is here in about a week or so.  I chose this system with my first because it is a closed system and if I need to get a new one for any reason I plan to get it again even if my insurance doesn't cover this brand I loved it that much. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never got to actually using the pump... I took it out, saw all the different pieces I had to put together/pull apart to wash and decided that it wasn't the right pump for me.  There were just so many more pieces to wash compared to the medela... I ended up donating the ameda. 
  • Options
    I used it for a year working full time with my first and rarely had issues. I just made sure to check the valves and replaced them as needed. I had some clogged ducts here and there but I would use it again. I kept the pieces assembled and in the fridge during the day and only disassembled at night when I washed everything. I haven't looked recently but I had a hard time getting the correct flange size because they were just out on their website and Amazon only had a couple of options.
  • Options
    I used ameda with my first child and it worked well, however you have to be very careful with the white valves.  If they get slightly damaged, you'll have problems with suction and the diaphragms will bet stuck and you'll lose suction.  Don't use the brush on them, don't let water flow hard through them.  Just wash them by swashing them in soapy water.  I put them in a bottle with soap and water and shake it a bit, then rinse. 

This time around my friend gave me her medela PISA.  And I love it.  I got rid of both of my amedas and never looked back.  The design is far better and my pumping pals flanges fit much better on the Medela than on Ameda. 
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I love mine, just recently broke some parts (my own clumsiness) and ameda sent replacements the next day under warranty. Medela is honestly just the more common name, Ameda works just as well
  • Options
    I should add I'm pumping 4 times a day, have been for the past 4 months and haven't had a bit of trouble.
  • Options
    How often should you replace the little white valves on the Ameda?
  • Options

How often should you replace the little white valves on the Ameda?

I was told by customer service, "every 2-3 months" or you'll notice a loss of suction.

I had my pump replaced 4 times! Customer service is great and ship a new one next day. They have me new valves every time. That's the first question they ask on the phone is when the last time you replaced the valves.
    It is convenient that they sell replacement parts at BRU and some at Target. However, if I had another option, is probably try a different one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
     Thanks guys-Im going to replace the valves (it came with a few extra) and see how it is. I think it's working ok, but it sounds different-like a hissing noise. I'm not sure where the noise is coming from and it's not constant, it's like partial. I can't really tell where it is coming from, I have some hearing loss.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"