Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Would You bother taking ANOTHER HPT (Update)

edited January 2015 in Trying to Get Pregnant
First of all I should say that I am not TTC but I think you ladies may be able to help me since yall seem to know a lot about how pregnancy works. I will try to keep this short so if I leave out any details you need just let me know and I'll answer. At the beginning of the month I missed 2 birthcontrol pills. I started spotting, took the pills, had unprotected sex. My period came on about 2 weeks later but it was light and only 2 days. I have been having pregnancy symptoms. Nausea (which seems to be getting worse as time progresses), sore breasts, and I'm really tired. I've taken 3 tests. I took one before my period was due. And 2 after my period bcuz it was so light and I still felt like crap. I have a doctors appointment next wednesday but I feel terrible today and I am thinking about taking another test, but I dont want to waste that $20 on a test if there's no way Im pregnant. I know that sometimes you can think up symptoms but this nausea and sore breasts are real. I feel just like I felt when I was pregnant with my son but with him I missed my period and tested positive 2 days late so thats why I'm ruling our pregnancy. You would think I would have gotten a BFP by now if that was truly what was up. Any thoughts?

Also...I didnt take the tests with first morning urine. In case that matters much but I've been told it doesnt make much difference after your missed period

Update: In case anyone wanted to know or comes to this post in the future with the same symptoms. I was still feeling really nauseous and having cramps last night so I went to the ER and it turns out I have a cyst on my right ovary and that's what was causing all of my symptoms. They found it with an ultrasound. I have to follow up with my OB on Monday for some blood work and as long as my levels are ok and there's no sign of cancer or anything then they will let the cyst rupture on its own which sounds painful to me. Anyway, just wanted to update in case it helps anyone in the future

Re: Would You bother taking ANOTHER HPT (Update)

• Options

If you're tests are coming back negative, you are not pregnant at this time.  If you feel the need to continue testing, test once a week until you get your period.  If you're still taking your BC, stop until your period returns.  The symptoms you described are typical if you're taking birth control or menstruating.

Married June 23, 2012

TTC #1 December 2012
    DD born December 2013 

BFP  January 2015
    Due October 2015

• Options
    They arent typical for me. I've been on the pill for 10 years. This is not normal for me. Something is up. Maybe not a baby. Maybe something else. What else can cause hormonal changes?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Its not that I think they are "lying" I just know that sometimes you can get false negs. I also know that since I have No clue if or when I ovulated I cant tell if I'm testing too soon or what. I also know that sometimes it takes women a while b4 they test positive on urine tests. I think a blood test negative would make me feel better. 
  • Options
    Well something is wrong with me. So I'm going to get bloodwork done to see whats up. Especially since from what you ladies are telling me it's definitely not pregnancy. Maybe its something else. Something is wrong though. @lovelychaos03
  • Options
    This is completely unrelated but your wedding picture is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for your advice as well. @AprilH81
  • Options
    You messed up your birth control right? Your hormones are going to go out of wack for a bit. If you get your blood tested, it's just going to tell you that you are not pregnant.

There have been times that I have messed up my pills and then the next 2 months of my period are all over the place.

If your HPT are negative.. then why get blood work? Blood work will only check your HSG levels, which is what the HPT are doing.

Do what you will, it's your body, I'm just trying to give you advice.

Why come and ask for advice if you have already made up your mind on blood work?
  • Options
    @lovelychaos03 I was asking if I should bother with the HPT, not if I should get bloodwork done. I've definitely already made up my mind about that. I'm going to have my dr run several tests, not just a pregnancy test so she will be able to check for multiple things. I want her to check my hormone levels and rule out my thyroid and some other issues as well. So It will tell me more than just whether or not I'm pregnant. I do appreciate the advice though. It has helped me rule our pregnancy for sure
  • Options
    What does "borrowing trouble" mean? 
  • Options
    @lovelychaos03 I was asking if I should bother with the HPT, not if I should get bloodwork done. I've definitely already made up my mind about that. I'm going to have my dr run several tests, not just a pregnancy test so she will be able to check for multiple things. I want her to check my hormone levels and rule out my thyroid and some other issues as well. So It will tell me more than just whether or not I'm pregnant. I do appreciate the advice though. It has helped me rule our pregnancy for sure
    Have you had any issues before you missed your pills? If so then I can understand. If not... then there is your answer. You messed up your pills.

Messed up pills = messed up hormones.
  • Options
    Totally makes sense. I guess I'd just rather be safe than sorry. And it's not wasting the doctors time. She will be paid generously for the few minutes it takes her to order my tests and it will give me peace of mind which is very valuable to me. 
  • Options
    Thanks @homefluff for clearing that up for me. I dont care about everyone's premiums though. Definitely not my problem and since I pay a good amount for insurance and RARELY see the dr, I think seeing my dr when I feel like crap is a good idea. Pregnancy isnt the only thing that could be wrong with me. Just bcuz we have ruled out pregnancy doesnt mean im "fine" 
  • Options
    I have autoimmune issues. They have diagnosed me with rheumatoid arthritis which is very rare for a woman my age (25).  This is not hormonal at all but I want to make sure nothing else funny is going on with my body. Especially since you ladies have helped me rule out pregnancy @lovelychaos03
  • Options
    I have autoimmune issues. They have diagnosed me with rheumatoid arthritis which is very rare for a woman my age (25).  This is not hormonal at all but I want to make sure nothing else funny is going on with my body. Especially since you ladies have helped me rule out pregnancy @lovelychaos03
    Then you messed up your pills- SIMPLE AS THAT.
  • Options
    Thanks @homefluff for clearing that up for me. I dont care about everyone's premiums though. Definitely not my problem and since I pay a good amount for insurance and RARELY see the dr, I think seeing my dr when I feel like crap is a good idea. Pregnancy isnt the only thing that could be wrong with me. Just bcuz we have ruled out pregnancy doesnt mean im "fine" 
    You should care because it's people like you who drive up the cost for people like me. I had to go years without coverage because MH and I could not afford the ridiculous premiums. So a huge thank you for that. By all means, disregard all the advice given by PP's, despite you asking for said advice, because apparently you are all knowing.
    I asked for advice on whether or not to take another HPT, not for advice on whether or not to get my blood work done. I am definitely not all knowing at all and I'm sorry you had issues getting coverage.  
  • Options
    The bolded rubs me in all the wrong ways.  I get that you may not be trying, but pregnancy is a beautiful thing.
    Me:  31  DH:  35
    Married:  7/3/2006
    DS:  3/3/2007  (emergency c-section) 
    MMC:  10/5/2010  D&C:  10/8/2010
    DD:  9/22/2011  (scheduled c-section)
  • Options
    The bolded rubs me in all the wrong ways.  I get that you may not be trying, but pregnancy is a beautiful thing.
    I apologize. That was insenstive, especially on a TTC board, and I have a son so I totally agree that pregnancy is a beautiful thing. 
  • Options

No do not take another HPT. Because you brought it up we are going to tell you straight up- DO NOT get blood work done! What are u going to say to the doctor? "I messed up my birth control, so I want to get blood work to check my hormones because something isn't right"?

Please tell me you hear how crazy that sounds??
    lol well I guess I'm crazy bcuz that EXACTLY what I plan to say
  • Options
    I find this thread and the content of the following posts by the OP to be offensive.
    I am truly sorry. I didnt mean to offend anybody. I apologize for the "whats wrong with me other than pregnancy" comment. That was totally insensitive. Again, I'm sorry for that. 
  • Options
    Ugh stop feeding the dump gods trolls. Clearly it's an admin trying to up the post count.
  • Options
    I'm not an admin. i'm just a paranoid girl that messed up her BC. I'm crazy and irresponsible but defineltly not a troll lol
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for answering my question about whether or not to take another HPT.  I appreciate your advice. It really eased my mind a lot about whether or not I could be pregnant
  • Options
    To all those who are concerned that OP is driving up your health insurance costs, here is some background reading that I found interesting. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/seven-factors-driving-your-health-care-costs/

OP:  For what it's worth, I, too, might seek out a doctor's appointment at this point, especially if you have underlying autoimmune issues and are worried they might be related.  I hope you didn't really mean (and I don't you did) that you don't care about others' insurance coverage.  I hope/think what you meant is that you don't believe you should have to sacrifice seeing a doctor over a concern such as this one.  In the end, I don't think appointments like this impact others' coverage much, if at all.  (There are more pressing concerns like end-of-life care that are far bigger culprits of rising medical costs.  And no, I'm not recommending that we let terminally ill or seriously ill people just "die" -- far from it.  I'm merely pointing out one of the major sources of rising health care costs.)      
  • Options
    StacyJYay said:
    To all those who are concerned that OP is driving up your health insurance costs, here is some background reading that I found interesting. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/seven-factors-driving-your-health-care-costs/

OP:  For what it's worth, I, too, might seek out a doctor's appointment at this point, especially if you have underlying autoimmune issues and are worried they might be related.  I hope you didn't really mean (and I don't you did) that you don't care about others' insurance coverage.  I hope/think what you meant is that you don't believe you should have to sacrifice seeing a doctor over a concern such as this one.  In the end, I don't think appointments like this impact others' coverage much, if at all.  (There are more pressing concerns like end-of-life care that are far bigger culprits of rising medical costs.  And no, I'm not recommending that we let terminally ill or seriously ill people just "die" -- far from it.  I'm merely pointing out one of the major sources of rising health care costs.)      
    That is exactly what I meant
  • Options
    Unknown said:

Out of curiosity, what the hell is this ^

Have I been blocked by someone or is TD having massive issues again?

• Options
    Unknown said:

It is @rascalc

Every time she posts, that shows up instead
  • Options
    Unknown said:

It is @rascalc

Thanks!  Are they monitoring everytime this account posts or something.  That seems like a waste of time if so.
  • Options
    Unknown said:

It is @rascalc

Thanks!  Are they monitoring everytime this account posts or something.  That seems like a waste of time if so.
    I have no idea. If you click her name you can see a bit of what she is posting, but it won't show up on the threads.
  • Options

It means the dump gods have marked them as a troll.
    Ain't that some bullshit!
  • Options
    StacyJYayStacyJYay member
    edited January 2015
    StacyJYay said:

That is exactly what I meant
    And best of luck to you.  I hope you get the answers you need and feel better. 
    StacyJYay said:

You have been giving terrible advice since you got here. If OP was so concerned about her general health and well-being, she shouldn't have posted on a TTC board asking whether or not to continue taking pregnancy tests, despite getting her period. Several of the ladies that used to be here work for insurance companies so excuse me if I take their word over an article on the internet. I have Crohn's disease but I don't run to my GI & GP every time my boobs are sore or I feel nauseous.
    Well, I can't say that I, or anyone, should take your word -- based on second-hand information from "ladies that used to be here [who] work for insurance companies" -- over other sources.  But if you don't like my "advice," (in quotes, because I just shared what *I* would likely do in OP's situation), then please don't take it.  I won't take any offense, and, in fact, I don't think any of my "advice" has been directed towards you. 
  • Options
    StacyJYayStacyJYay member
    edited January 2015
    KawaiiKitsune said:
    @StacyJYay - Ladies who used to be here, meaning before the BG's got ban happy and they left to the dark side. Regardless whether your advice was directed to me or not, the fact that you are spreading around misinformation is detrimental to anyone who listens to it. It is a fact that unnecessary testing drives up insurance costs for everyone. An upset stomach and sore boobs, whether you have autoimmune issues or not, is a ridiculous reason to get a full blood panel work-up. As I said before, if she was concerned about her general health, she should not have posted here asking if she was KU.
    Spreading misinformation?  I'm doing no such thing.  Just because you disagree with me (by telling me that I routinely provide "terrible" advice) doesn't make my information wrong.  OP is concerned about her health and wants to see her doctor.  She feels like something is wrong and has an underlying autoimmune condition.  She stated that she does not run off to her doctor for every miniscule issue or concern.  I can't say I disagree with her in this instance and stated as such.  The OP didn't say that she was going to demand an MRI, capsule endoscopy, etc.  She wants to see her doctor and get some blood drawn (and presumably, the doctor would only order blood work if he/she thought it were warranted). 
    In terms of the link that I posted, it provides valid information on the major sources of rising health care costs.  If you disagree with it, based on what information from "ladies that used to be here [who] work for insurance companies," then so be it. 

ETA:  After reading your response to me in another thread, I no longer feel that I can engage in further discussion with you.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"