Multiples

Any full time working moms of twins?

I'm 8 wks FTM of spontaneous twins and kinda freaking out STILL about having twins. Curious if there are any FT working moms that have or are having twins that continued to work. Is that possible??? Right now it seems like the impossible feat!

Re: Any full time working moms of twins?

• I work full time and while we could not afford to have me stay home, I wouldn't want to. Keys to making it work are: flexibility with my schedule and lots of freedom to work from home, easy commute, great childcare (we have an au pair who lives with us), and lots of PTO. I work in higher ed and things slow WAY down in the summer and around holidays, which I love. I've been at my job for 5 years so people know me and trust me to get my work done regardless of what comes up with my family. I feel like I have struck a really good balance - it is possible! Good luck!

TTC #2 since July 2010
    FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
    5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
    March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I work full-time.  I went back when the babes were 10 weeks and work/commute approximately 57 hours/week.  

I don't necessarily think that working full-time is any more challenging with twins than it would be with a singleton (other than probable increased childcare costs.)  My attention is always divided and I have to use a lot of sick and vacation days when things pop up.

I never had/have any intention of being a SAHM so we make it work.

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I work full time from home. My job has a lot of flexibility and our childcare is right down the street. So I get to spend a good chunk of time with them in the mornings and evenings, and of course weekends. I am very lucky.

We tried to figure out a way budget-wise for me to stay home, thinking that's what I really wanted to do. But I need to work to cover our expenses.

I'm glad it worked out that way. After 6 months of maternity leave, I realized I like the balance (if you want to call it that) of being a working mom. Psychologically, I don't think being a SAHM would be right for me.

Believe me, we have all been there. I think everyone goes through that freak out stage. It never really goes away. But you "just do it" and even though it can be chaos, it somehow works out no matter what you choose, or what you are dealt.

Baby Boy #1 born 1/15/2010

Babies #2 & #3 arriving Spring 2014 (EDD June 18)

• I work FT! It's totally do-able! I mean, twins, once they're a bit older, aren't any different than having two or more children (and I'm sure you know PLENTY of moms who work FT who have more than one!)

What are your biggest concerns about going back to work? What seems impossible?
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Wow I was in your shoes - spontaneous and I worked a LOT (I am an attorney). I used to work from 8a.m. - 7 pm and was worried about how that would translate with the girls. I just make sure to really focus my time at work on doing work and finishing things a bit faster (I was a bit of a procrastinator before). We have an in-home nanny that shows up at 8:30, and I leave right away, and I get home now at 6 p.m. to relieve her. Sometimes I am leaving a little late and have to let her know, or other times I have to leave in the middle of a project. 

I also teach some evenings so she just stays late those nights until DH gets home at around 7 pm. 

It works out well, and honestly I was so nervous to come back to work and leave the girls, but my first week here I was like holy crap this is some dirty little secret - its SO NICE to get out of the house and ENJOY your time with the babies. I felt like when I was with them all day for all of the "dirty work" I wasn't enjoying them as much. Our nanny does the bottles, diaper changes, all of their laundry and all of their dishes and diaper trash and keeping the toys clean. Having someone else do the "dirty work" and getting to play with the girls in the mornings and evenings is amazing. 

p.s. I cried out of panic for over 2 weeks when I found out it was twins. 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Wow I was in your shoes - spontaneous and I worked a LOT (I am an attorney). I used to work from 8a.m. - 7 pm and was worried about how that would translate with the girls. I just make sure to really focus my time at work on doing work and finishing things a bit faster (I was a bit of a procrastinator before). We have an in-home nanny that shows up at 8:30, and I leave right away, and I get home now at 6 p.m. to relieve her. Sometimes I am leaving a little late and have to let her know, or other times I have to leave in the middle of a project. 

I also teach some evenings so she just stays late those nights until DH gets home at around 7 pm. 

It works out well, and honestly I was so nervous to come back to work and leave the girls, but my first week here I was like holy crap this is some dirty little secret - its SO NICE to get out of the house and ENJOY your time with the babies. I felt like when I was with them all day for all of the "dirty work" I wasn't enjoying them as much. Our nanny does the bottles, diaper changes, all of their laundry and all of their dishes and diaper trash and keeping the toys clean. Having someone else do the "dirty work" and getting to play with the girls in the mornings and evenings is amazing. 

p.s. I cried out of panic for over 2 weeks when I found out it was twins. 
    Pretty much the same as @calicarly77, except my twins were from fertility treatment.
    I'm an attorney. Had been at my job that I love a long time. The transition back wasn't *that* much different than it was when I returned after my singleton, other than we're spending a crapton more on childcare. My DD is in daycare and we have a nanny for the twins. She does their laundry, tidies the house, does dishes, bottles, makes their food, etc. She has a ton of energy and does so much with them.

I need the break. I need adult interaction and stimulation. I care a lot about my career and it will provide a lot for my family and I for a long time. I do good work and am excited to share/expose my kids to it. I'm definitley more focused (and less of a procrastinator now).

I can't imagine not working.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you! How old were your twins when you went back to work??
  • Thanks so much for all your responses. I think my biggest fear is that since I'm a FTM I don't want to miss anything - milestones, firsts, etc. I have a great job that will provide well for my family and I love what I do but I wonder if I will feel guilty being at work. I have an hour commute so tacking that on to my day makes me question being away from them for so many hours. Part of me has even toyed with the potential of working part time. I know I'm putting the cart before the horse, but my mind is racing with all these 'what ifs' I think mostly because I was suprised but so so delighted with the twins! Thank you thank you to all the working moms for your words of wisdom!
  • I went back part time when mine were 12 weeks old and full time at 16 weeks. I too used to work 50+ hour weeks but love what I do. I agree I wouldn't want to be a SHM and like getting out.

Keys to me are DH being super involved. He does drop off I do pick up. Working after babies go to bed sometimes. Just being able to knock some emails or paperwork out at home can make work much more productive. Also, when I was pregnant a colleague with kids told me I would never feel like I was doing enough at work or enough at home and that you just had to learn to let that go. That's totally true for me and sometimes I just have to walk away from a project so I can see my babies for an hour before they go to bed.

I also think working keeps me really engaged with the babies when I'm around them. I'm not on my phone when they're awake and DH and I are pretty much always on the floor playing with them when they're around. We love it and make it work bc it's important to me to work. I sometimes feel guilty bc I could financially SAH but I don't want to. I justify it by it allows us to save aggressively for college for or kids and will open up opportunities and vacations as they get older. It's hard but totally doable. Like most of parenting multiples!!
  • I work FT out of the home. It can be stressful but it's what works for our financial situation. Sometimes it's actually nice to get out for awhile and have a break.  Good luck!
  • I have a first grader, preschooler and 7 month one twins. I also work full time (and TRYING) to finish up my grad degree. It was great that I was able to stay home for 16 weeks with the babes, then went back to work 3 days/week for a month, then 4 days and then in January , 5days/week. My boss is great with flexibility as far as being a bit late and having to leave early. DH is great too and works closer to home so that helps. My parents are SO helpful and home daycare is great. She also sends me pics a few times per week. Our plan is to divide and conquer. DH takes the big kids and I have the littles usually. But sometimes we break off so that. We each have a big and a little. I try NOT to bring work home and cuddle the babes (and big kids) as much as I can when I get home and through the bedtime routine. I also like working and couldn't be home all the time ( I am not that crafty or that disciplined with my daytime schedule ). :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So glad for this thread. I'm dreading returning to work in a week but I know it has to be done!
    TTC 2 years- Me and DH (28) with (severely) low sperm count- less than 40 total (last 2 SA showed only 5 and 6 sperm each)
    IVF #1: ER 1/23/13- 4 eggs retrieved, 3 eggs fertilized; ET with 1 embryo 1/28/13 2 frosties beta #1 2/5 was 4.8- beta #2 2/7 3.5; BFN
    FET #1- transferred one beautiful 4AA embie. Praying this is my take home baby. Beta 5/7/13- BFFN!!!
    IVF #2: ER 7/17/13: 6R/3F- transferred 1 blast and 1 10 cell embryo 5dt.   Beta hell.  #1 2.5, #2 2.2- BFFFN! REALLY?
    IVF #3: ER 12/1 and only 2 retrieved.  1 fertilized with ICSI.  Was planning on transferring one fresh and one frozen....fresh was only 14 cells at day 5...CANCELLED and devastated due to 5cm blood filled cyst in ovary and blood in uterus.
    IVF #4: Antagonist protocol with endometrial scratch day one of stims.  ER 4/21: 6R/4M/3F- transferred 2 beautiful blasts (5dt) and one was hatching!  No frosties but hoping we won't need it!  Beta 5/4/14- 444(8dp5dt), Beta #2 10dp5dt 1002!  THIS HAS GOT TO BE IT!!!!!!!!!!  First US 5/15 we saw two of the most beautiful gestational and yolk sacs I have ever seen!  
    ****FINALLY PREGNANT WITH DI/DI TWINS!!!!!!!  

BRINLEY AND RILEY LONG.  Born November 20, 2014 at 32 wks 3 days.  4lbs7oz and 4lbs5oz.  1 month NICU time for "B's" and growing and feeding.  Now healthy, thriving, beautiful little girls!
     imagehttp://i62.tinypic.com/2dl9ap0.jpgpghttp://oi61.tinypic.com/o7t1y0.jpg

• I go back in 2 weeks. They will be 3 months old. We hired a couple college girls to watch I home since they are preemies. Each baby will have a caregiver. I'm a nurse so I only work 3 days a week (but they are long days) and I moonlight at 2 other places but I can work what I want at those places.
  • Thank you! How old were your twins when you went back to work??
    I went back when they were 3.5 months old. I honestly think I could have used another 4 weeks but it wasn't bad - they started sleeping through the night at 3 months old, and we were in a good routine by then. Sometimes I wish I could have taken maternity leave now instead of then - they are much more fun to be with now lol. 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board