Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Having a little trouble with amounts between bottle and cereal

Our LO is almost 5 months old and started rice cereal about 3 weeks ago. He currently takes 6 oz. of formula every 2 1/2-3 hours. He's also been having 1 tbsp of cereal mixed with 1 oz of formula in the evenings before his nighttime bottle. We are getting ready to bump up the cereal soon, but we aren't sure if as the amount of cereal he eats everyday goes up, should this affect how many bottles or ounces of formula he has every day, or will he just keep eating more of both? I definitely don't want to be giving him too much of one thing, but I also want to make sure that he's getting what he needs.

I asked our doctor at our 4 month appointment before we even started feeding cereal and she was zero help - she acted like she didn't even know the answer.

I'm ready to look for a new pedi, because she never seems to offer much info for anything, except what percentile he's in and how much tylenol he can have. 

Thanks in advance.

Re: Having a little trouble with amounts between bottle and cereal

• Options
    At first I kept giving the same amount of formula with dinner cereal feeding (around 35 oz. a day).  Then I started cereal for lunch too and she began to be overfed (puked more often).  So, I lowered the amount of formula in her bottles.  She now eats every 2 to 2.5 hours but just a little less formula (4 to 4.5 oz.) and is doing great.  Her cereal is not super thick either.  She is maybe taking 32 oz. now which includes what I give her in her cereal.  It's a little less but I just re-arranged how she ate.  I think she was eating too much formula anyways before we started cereal, she was hungry allll the time now she seems so much more satisfied.
  • Options
    I'm not putting the cereal in the bottle. It's in a bowl. He has a bottle AFTER that.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think she meant she was mixing the rice cereal with formula to feed from a BOWL.  I would keep offering the same amount of formula. Rice cereal is just practice for eating later. I think you are fine with the amounts. Maybe bump it up at 6 mos, but even then I think 1tbsp is plenty for a 5 mos old.
  • Options
    No cereal in the bottle. Major choking hazard.

Cereal is not for nutrition but to learn how to eat. Therefore it should not affect the volume (oz) of formula consumed. The formula or Breastmilk is all they need until 12 months.

Most cereals are pure filler. They don't serve a nutritional purpose, but teach the infant to chew/swallow. It is not necessary to feed them this for any "feeling full" benefit.

I skipped cereal all together & went to BLW with both my kids. They eat oatmeal for breakfast, but that's a mixture of oats, flax & barley.

If you choose oatmeal you don't have to increase the amount. You can move on to other textures & foods once they get it down.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

Personal experience, I also have just started introducing solids for the past three weeks. Two feedings daily, cereal and changing to a new puree every few days. I have found that DD still drinks the same amount, I'm breast feeding on demand. I expect this to be the case at least until the amount of solid food is a more significant portion of her diet so I wouldn't reduce the amount of formula offered. Growing babies need to take in more calories, don't they?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"