September 2014 Moms
Options

Lipase in breastmilk- a vent

I left baby girl with my husband and mil plus a bag of frozen milk on Saturday.  Got a call that she wouldn't take her bottle.  She's only gotten 3 bottles previously but took them without issue.  Her rejection made me think of something I read once about someones baby refusing milk and it was due to taste from excess lipase in the milk breaking down the fat.  I had him take out a newer milk which she drank most of.  When I got home we tasted both dates of milk and they tasted horrible!  Soapy and metallic which is what I read that excess lipase tastes like.  So now I wonder if baby girl didn't take the milk because of taste or hubby said she was very upset first bottle and maybe she had calmed down enough by second try to drink.  The milks although 2 months apart in dates, tasted equally bad to me.  I read that excess lipase makes the milk taste bad but doesn't change it nutritionally, it is still fine to drink if baby will drink it and that many will. But dang what a pia, I worked really hard to store about 50 4oz bags of milk and now she might not drink any of it and it I want to store future milk without the taste degrading I have to scald it before storing.  I know of all the breastfeeding problems one might have that this isn't the worst that could happen, but feels like a big blow to me.

Anyone else dealing with this issue?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Lipase in breastmilk- a vent

• Options
    you should try searching the board with keyword 'lipase' since this topic has come up many times.

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"