Infertility
Options

IVF Fundraising - Yes or No??!!

My husband and I are wracking our brains as to how to go forward with IFV and still be able to put our kids through college one day. I know there are grants and loans out there but someone suggested doing a fundraiser at a little bowling alley that my hubby are on a league at. My question is: Is this tacky? It's not like we're dying or have cancer or anything...we just want to start our family!! We've already spent so much money on all of our treatments and the big stuff hasn't even started. Opinions?? Thanks!

Re: IVF Fundraising - Yes or No??!!

• Options
    I personally don't think it's tacky but I'm sure some people who haven't dealt firsthand with IF might feel it is. I think if money was the biggest hurdle standing between me and having a family I'd do almost ANYTHING and try not to care one bit about what anyone thought. No one has to donate! Is there anyone else who could host the fundraiser? A close friend or family member? I'm thinking in terms of etiquette for things like baby showers or wedding showers it's tacky to plan it yourself....
    *****siggy warning****

TTC#2
    IVF in April 2015
    Started TTC #1 in 2009
    BFP #1: m/c at 7w2d in 2010
    BFP #2: m/c at 10w3d in 2010
    BFP #3: ectopic at 5w in 2011, lost one tube and learned the other was in bad shape
    2 failed (and useless) IUIs, moved to IVF 
    BFP #4: Healthy baby girl born 8/2013
  • Options
    While I can completely understand the point behind the fundraising and I'm sure you have the very best intentions, I do think it is a little tacky, but I don't know that tacky is the right word. These types of benefits and fundraisers are usually in response for those who have been afflicted with a terrible life circumstance (trust me, I, too, believe that IF is a terrible life circumstance!). However, while EVERYONE has known someone who has, for example, died of cancer, few people know someone who has been given the diagnosis of IF. Furthermore, even your close friends and family may know that you have this diagnosis, but most people won't understand the emotional and physical pain it can cause a person.

So, while IF is very tragic for those who have gone through it, very few people will see it that way, and most others will fail to relate, or understand the consequences of IF, and will struggle to understand why a fundraiser might be important to you.

Recently, I had watched an acquaintance on Facebook go through several years' worth of expensive treatment, only to run out of money with no success. She and her husband turned to a Go Fund Me fundraiser, and she was met with some serious comments and feedback. Though DH and I are also TTC and I understand where she's coming from, her approach still came off in such a "weird" way, I couldn't stand to watch this anymore and de friended her, even though I know what she's going through.

Of course, I'm sure there are great ways to raise money with a sensitive approach, I just think one should tread carefully when raising money for oneself in this type of situation. I totally agree with PP about having a close friend or family member setting one up!
    TTC since March 2013

HSG: Sept 2014, clear tubes

Dx: MFI - Low motility, morph, count (Aug. 2014); Hypothyroidism (May 2015)

Moved to IUIs October 2014

IUI #1 w/ injections:  Nov 2014- BFN

IUI #2 w/ injections:  Jan 2015- BFN

IUI #3.1 w/ injections:  Feb. 2015, cancelled due to cysts- 10 days BCP

IUI #3.2 w/ injections:  Feb/March 2015- BFN

IUI #4 w/ 100mg Clomid +  Injections:  August 2015- BFN

IUI #5 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  September 2015- BFN

IUI #6 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  October 2015 - Cancelled due low response

Moved to IVF May 2016 

Retrieved 18 eggs on 05/27/2016, 13 were ICSI'd, 9 made it to day-five transfer

Transferred 2 beautiful day-five embryos on 06/01/2016, froze 7

BFP 4dp5dt on 06/05/2016!  Line continued to darken beautifully!

EDD:  February 17, 2017

Beta #1:  92

Beta #2:  305 

Ultrasound #1 - one baby!

Ultrasound #2 - saw heartbeat!

LFAF Badges:

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I personally would have gotten a loan over doing fundraising. It's not about being tacky or not - infertility is not a life or death situation
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Options
    No. Just NO. Don't do it. Off the charts tacky and just a bad idea. If people (family) want to help, they will offer without you asking. Otherwise, save your money until you can afford it.

Married 5.21.2011

TTC Since October 2012

Me: 36, all normal, DH: 43, MFI

IUI #1 & #2 - Sept & Oct 2014, BFN

IVF with ICSI #1 January 2015 - BFP, M/C Feb 2015

FET June 2015 = CP

IVF #2 September 2015 - Discovered during ER I had ovulated early, 0 retrieved

IVF with ICSI #3 January 2016 - BFP! Beta #1 - 839, Beta #2 - 3,192, Beta #3 - 15,000+ = TWINS!

EDD 10/12/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

lurker suggestion, so take it or leave it....

personally, i would not 'fundraise' per say.

But what I would be comfortable is hubby and i talking to our immediate families about the dilema. your family might be able to help. you could pool together and do a group yard sale or something to raise money.

• Options
    I did a "deposit a gift" account, which is similar to go fund me. I created a facebook event, attached the link to the website, invited only family and few close friends, and we decided to share our story and ask for help (whether it was monetary or emotional). It was the first time many of my family members heard about my situation, and we were fortunate enough to have some money raised to assist with the cost. It's not tacky to ask for help by all means. It's the execution in how you do it that may give off the wrong impression to some.

Me:28

DH: 34 superman strength semen

NEVER have been pregnant

6/28/13: salpingectomy of both tubes due to hydrasalphinx... :(

IVF process: Started in July, had to put it off until after our wedding in Oct, and now we are at full force!

1/2/15: Started 3wk of BC

1/14/15: Injection class.... HOLY Cannoli this medication is looking intimidating

1/23/15: US/ BW

1/26/15: Follistim and Menopur injections start

2/7/15-2/10/15: estimated dates for ER!!!!!

• Options
    I feel like there are a lot of opinions out there and please don't take them too personal.......having said that I did have a friend surprise me with a gofundme account. I collected almost half the money I needed. It was weird at first thinking of asking for money for something that was my problem but was shocked and grateful for all the support. It was an amazing feeling to think that these people wanted to help my dream of having a family.
    Good luck with what ever you decide.
  • Options
    Tacky..... Tacky??!! Is being infertile TACKY? Is your dreams shattering into a million pieces TACKY?!?! I don't think so! People who know you and what you're going through would totally understand and be willing to help you!! My aunt did a fundraiser for me and my husband selling subs. She took order form to her work and so did my ENTIRE family!! We got like $400 out of it. Would I do it again? Yes, yes and YES!!! The people who know you and love you don't thing your struggle is "tacky". As far as what these other women are saying, I would just totally disregard them. They obviously haven't struggled in ways that we have. I wish you the best!
  • Options
    @samantha5110 either you are a troll or just ignorant. On an open message board people are entitled to their opinions and that's exactly what the OP asked for. If you don't like it, move on. Your statements are not only totally rude, but incredibly insensitive and have no place on this board. And they are a clear indication of your maturity level. My DH and I are 100% OOP for IF treatments and are wrapping up our first IVF with ICSI. Family helped us, but as a surprise without us asking. You do not have to agree with me, but you do have to respect my, and others, opinions, and my opinion remains that it IS in fact tacky.

Married 5.21.2011

TTC Since October 2012

Me: 36, all normal, DH: 43, MFI

IUI #1 & #2 - Sept & Oct 2014, BFN

IVF with ICSI #1 January 2015 - BFP, M/C Feb 2015

FET June 2015 = CP

IVF #2 September 2015 - Discovered during ER I had ovulated early, 0 retrieved

IVF with ICSI #3 January 2016 - BFP! Beta #1 - 839, Beta #2 - 3,192, Beta #3 - 15,000+ = TWINS!

EDD 10/12/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mem387mem387 member
    I'm so torn on the funding subject. My husband and I were TTC for a year and the sought out help from a fertility clinic. We went over the options and made a logical plan of how to proceed. We were told Clomid most likely would not work but it was worth a try so we did a cycle and failed. We tried an IUI which had a very low probability of success but we tried as it was no were near as invasive or costly as IVF. It failed. Maybe I'm just dumb but my first instinct wasn't to fundraise or create gofund me accounts. It was to tighten up the budget and save as much as we could to reduce the loan amount needed. The loans don't have great interest rates but we wanted a child. My husband and I didn't eat out or spend extra money on anything for 8 months . We then applied for the loan and had payments. The first ivf transfer didn't happen and my husband was placed on a medicine costing $250 a month while I had to fight with the insurance company to cover any of the second round mess for a FET needless to say that failed and once again we need more money out of pocket for the 2nd FET which I was only told about after starting medications. I thought I was going to have to stop medications because we didn't have another 4 grand. But instead of stopping my husband called and demand a payment plan for not informing us ahead of time . On top of all that there were countless procedures, surgeries, and testing that were out of pocket. But never once did I think to ask others. I did think about a second job and so did my husband .

So today I'm on FB and see a friends post who has struggled for years to have a child and adopted one last year and is now asking for money. By all means I like to help a friend in need but she boast in her post how they haven't had to take out a loan!!! After spending $35k on treatments and having to figure out with Gods help how to pay them off should this bother me or am I being heartless and feeling guilty for not donating?
  • Options
    @ Shelbyk84  I think is a personal choice between you and your husband.. Infertility comes with emotional stress, financial stress and many different types of stress.  My husband and I decided to save our money, It was important for us not to get into any kind of debt. We wanted to eliminate some stress during our IFV cycle. So, we decided to save it all!!!!!  We stopped eating out,  I stopped getting my nails done. I started taking my lunch to work everyday, I stopped shopping for shoes, handbags, clothes. After we paid for all the bills, anything extra went straight to savings.... And we did it, we saved all the money we needed for IVF! Once we realize we had all the money for our little baby we both got so emotional because at one point we thought we would never get there. I really Hope that our story helps you!!! 

Good Luck with everything! 
  • Options
    jnissajnissa member
    Oh, goodness. @samantha5110‌. 
    I looked at your post history, and certainly you have been through the IF ringer. My heart goes out to you. But I suspect that if I did the same with many of the women who replied on this thread that the same statement would be true. People wouldn't be on this forum if their dreams weren't being jeopardized. 

OP specifically asked if people thought fundraising was tacky, presumably because she too felt a level of discomfort with it. She had her big girl panties on when she asked and was prepared for any and all opinions, which were given. Aside from *possibly* one response (which may just be sounding insensitive because the internet doesn't show personality), everybody who commented that they thought it was tacky either said that it was ultimately up to OP, that they understood the need or gave viable alternatives. Everybody here struggles with the financial realities of IF. And the emotional ones. 
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Options
    My husband and I thought it over as well, but as @jnissa has said, I did not want to then have to keep explaining and sharing every milestone of our experience with all of the donators. Also, if we got a BFN, then would these people then expect their money back? (I know you say "No way", but people can be weird with this kind of thing.)
    We saved up for almost 2 years before beginning our first cycle this month, with my husband working overtime and taking on side work. I know the delay may have aged my eggs, but that was the option we felt most comfortable with and was right for OUR situation. It's your journey, and only you can ultimately decide how comfortable you will be.
    Me: 36 DH: 38 -TTC since May 2011. Bilateral mid-tubal blockages. Starting first IVF minimal stim cycle in June. Labs-Day 3: TSH 1.60mIU/L FSH 6.8mIU/mL Estradiol 46 pg/mL Day 10: FSH 5.3mIU/mL 
  • Options
    This thread is 6 months old.
  • Options
    With IVF (In Vitro Fertilization), is a method of assisted reproduction, a man's sperm and the woman's egg are combined in a laboratory dish, where fertilization occurs. Yet, it sometimes goes wrong. See how severe IVF towards pregnancy here: https://tinyurl.com/getpregnants .