1st Trimester
Options

How to Use B6 for Morning Sickness?

third time mom here....and the morning sickness returned like clockwork midway through week 5 
i don't have my first appointment for 3 more weeks (at 9 weeks). 
has anyone had success with B6? when do you take it? how much/often?

Re: How to Use B6 for Morning Sickness?

• Options
    In the beginning of my pregnancy I had doctors tell me that taking no more than 100 mg or less of B6 a day is supposed to calm down the morning sickness.  They also suggested to me taking it with doxylamine (brand name Unisom).  This may also help relieve nausea and vomitting symptoms.  Although it may not work for all women...In my case, it didn't work that great.  However, I've come to understand in my research that vitamin B6 is a bit tricky, since it is not recommended as a daily treatment.  I've heard some say that you shouldn't take more than 50 mg a day....depending on what is in your current prenatal vitamin.  Taking any more than your recommended dose per day can have side-effects, such as loss of feeling in your hands and feet.  So, this is something you should ask your doctor about if you require a treatment to help with morning sickness.
    However, there are other ways that may help with morning sickness.  Such as the way you eat.  Eating lots of protein and carbs. Try adding in peanut butter on celery or apples, nuts snacks, cheese and crackers, and low-fat dairy products like milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt.  Also, eating bland foods like jello,broth, ginger ale, and saltine crackers...etc they can help calm the stomach. And avoid eating foods that are high in fat and salt.
    Also, try eating 6-8 small meals a day rather than large meals or eating every 2-3 hours and try not to let yourself get too full at meals or too hungry.  Try eating before you get hungry.  Have dry toast or crackers at night time and/or as soon as you wake up in the morning if you can.  Most important drink a ton of water.  Hydration definitely helps out and helps keep you feeling as though your full, especially around meals, where some women tend to over eat because they feel hungry still.  Hunger is much of the time confused with thirst.  And another ingredient that may help is ginger.  Whether it be ginger ale, tea... or a bit of ginger with your meal.
    If meal changing isn't working all together that perhaps changing when you take your prenatal vitamins.  Either switching them from the morning to night.  Sometimes the iron in the vitamins bother some women's stomach during the day especially on an empty stomach.  If you take them at night time then you may be able to sleep through the discomfort.  And try not to take vitamins on an empty stomach as it can cause discomfort...thats with my experience anyway.  I always got severe nausea taking my vitamins without a meal.
    Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to make sure you have plenty of fresh air venting throughout your home and try not to stay in rooms that have too much perfumes, cigarette odor, dog/cat odor, or strong food odors. And don't forget to sleep (very important) and if you can get extra sleep.  Hope some of this info helps!  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"