1st Trimester
Options

is this a miscarriage?

My sister found out she was pregnant last week. Her last period was Dec 17. So shes maybe about 5 weeks pregnant or so. Well she has been having back pain. Her doc sent her for ultrasound a few days ago and couldn't find anything. They tested her hcg and it was around 650. 48 hours later it was 7 something. She has Brown spotting for a day but today saw a spot of red. Does this sound like a miscarriage or could it be ok? She goes back to doc next week.

Re: is this a miscarriage?

• Options

**lurking**

You can't really know definitively unless she talks to her doctor, but HCG levels are supposed to double every 24 hours. Spotting can be completely normal in pregnancy though.

Good Luck! Hopefully everything is ok.

TTC since 9/14
    BFP 12/20/14    EDD 8/29     MC 1/5/15

• Options
    It doesn't sound good. Back pain and spotting don't necessarily mean anything bad, but what's worrisome is that her second HCG check should have been at least 1300. If I was her I would be hoping for the best but bracing myself for the worst.

Fx for your family!
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. Praying and hoping for the best.
  • Options
    T&P for a positive outcome.
  • Options
    I think it could be either way :( 
    HCG levels don't double every 48 hrs, more like 72 hrs. Then they taper off around the 11th or 12th week. Spotting is normal, it might have to do with low progesterone levels in the blood. I heard many women take vitex to maintain their progesterone levels and prevent miscarriage. Uh a little off topic but...
    I don't think she has much to worry about unless her bleeding is getting progressively heavier and is accompanied by cramps. But as they say, if a miscarriage is going to happen, it's going to happen. Sometimes you can do everything possible to keep the pregnancy viable but if the baby has a chromosomal abnormality, then the pregnancy was doomed from the start. 
    Having said that, I wish your sister the best of luck and hope it's nothing more than normal spotting.
  • Options
    Turns out it is a miscarriage :( thanks everyone
  • Options
    Turns out it is a miscarriage :( thanks everyone

I'm so terribly sorry, OP.
  • Options
    So sorry for your sisters loss! I have been through that twice and I know how much it hurts. I'm hoping she can find some peace soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"