February 2015 Moms
Options

Announcing birth to families

I want only my husband in the room during labor and delivery. Because we know his mother won't be able to contain herself we are debating on not even telling her we are going to the hospital once the time comes. We are planning on calling her once we have our little one in our arms, anyone go through this previously or any thoughts?

Re: Announcing birth to families

• Options
    krysmillkrysmill member
    edited January 2015
    I haven't gone through this yet due to being FTM but my we have voiced that it will only be us in L&D! We will call both parent's to let them know when I go into labor. We don't expect them to wait in the waiting room while I go through labor. But if they want to more power to them. We have a plan on how much time we want with baby before everyone else comes in. So it'll be up to them if they really want to wait.
  • Options
    All three sets of grandparents are out of state, so DH and I will be flying solo in the delivery room. After three hours we are moved from the birthing suite to a regular room and allowing family to come see LO.

I'm a bit concerned (with 80% of our family out of state) that DH will be glued to his cell phone calling everyone up. Our hospital doesn't have a nursery, so LO stays with us at all times, which will make it hard to break away.

Sometimes I feel more stressed about the protocol of letting everyone know and feeling "out of the moment" than I feel about actually giving birth!
    Anniversary  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my first we sent out a text to my parents and my DH's parents letting them know we were in the hospital. My parents came while I was in labor because I wanted them there and then once we had the baby, we sent them both a picture of the baby and my in laws came a few hours after he was born. We will probably do the same thing again with this one
  • Options
    This is #3 for us. The first time around everyone was so excited and wanted to be at the hospital - which was very overwhelming where I felt like I needed to entertain people. When you're in labor you aren't throwing a party, save the party for when you're in your postpartum room. OP, I agree on keeping it to yourself especially if your MIL is anything like mine and won't respect that you don't want people at the hospital while you are laboring. Also, if you want time to get cleaned up and kangaroo, you aren't going to want super anxious visitors trying to break down the door.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have told immediate family (parents and siblings) that the earliest they'll meet baby is a few hours after birth. We are doing skin to skin, immediate breastfeeding, etc. so they're welcome to wait around at the hospital or wait for the call at home, up to them. This is the 1st grandbaby so all are very excited.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We didn't tell our families until after DS was born. We wouldn't have allowed them in the room anyways so we didn't think it was necessary to tell them until afterwards. Plus we wanted some time alone just the 3 of us.

photo tumblr_mvhtjpmhbh1sg96flo1_r2_500_zpsed277910.gif

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers   

• Options
    Do I ever have to tell the family? They all drive me insane except my parents. And ideally I won't want anyone handling him until he's at least three months old. It won't happen like that because my husband is way too sentimental about family, so we'll have to find some balance. I'm probably a terrible person but I've accepted that. 
    Me: 27
    DH: 28
    Together: 2005
    Married: 2008
    Naming our son after a cartoon character: 2/23/15!
  • Options
    Will be a FTM here as well - my DH and I are thinking that we will contact our immediate family members once DS is here. We definitely want some time together just the three of us, before family joins us. I know I'll need to give myself a huge break especially after all that will be happening, so I think it's only fair; there will be plenty of time for family and friends to see us afterwards :)
  • Options
    So far our plan is to labor at home for as long as possible, then head to the hospital.  We're hoping that we can get away with not telling family until we're at the hospital and progressed pretty well.  The only downfall is that we have a dog and MIL will be taking care of her while we're at the hospital.  But we're still hoping to be able to call her and let her know we're there and that she can go get the dog at our house.  
    Definitely ask your hospital what their protocal is for the labor room though.  Ours will only allow 3 people in at a time (including husband).  We have a doula, so we're telling our family that only H and the doula are allowed in the delivery room.  They also keep us in there for the first 2 hours after birth, then we're moved to a postpartum room.  So we have also let them know that we can't have any visitors for the first 2 hours after baby is born.  It just gives us an excuse to tell them, so they're aren't rushing in to see the baby.  Our hospital is also an hour away for all of the grandparents.  So if we call them soon after the baby is born, then they still have an hour till they're there.
    TTC 1.0
    17 months TTC and 1miscarriage, 1 chemical pregnancy, rainbow baby born 2/16/15
    TTC 2.0
    16 months TTC, 2 chemical pregnancies, EDD 6/3/17
  • Options
    With my last birth, I didn't want anyone at the hospital until a few hours after the babies were born. I wanted a chance to bond as a family and I didn't want to feel pressured knowing that people were waiting. I ended up with a scheduled c-section when one of my babies stopped growing in utero. My c/s got pushed back hours so my family did come to the hospital and was in the waiting room. It really annoyed me at the time and some things my mom says about it still bother me, but now that I am a parent myself, I understand more now WHY they wanted to be there. This time, I think it would bother me less, but this time they won't have the opportunity to be there because they will be watching my sons. We'll call them when the baby is born and, depending on the time, figure out when they'll come visit. I want my sons to be the first ones to meet the baby so if they are sleeping or at preschool, everyone else will have to wait too.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Options
    I'm letting my MIL in while in l & d. I figured at some point I'm not going to care & plus she could help her son/my dh - dh had already warned me he was going to sing "push it" by salt n' peper & I've already threatened to kick him out☺️
  • Options
    lk2200214lk2200214 member
    edited January 2015
    I was the same way with my first. We wanted it to be special for just DH & I and wanted that time as a couple. We told only our parents that we were in labor & had voiced our wishes ahead of time that we didn't want anyone at the hospital while I was in labor, that we wanted time after for just us. DS was born at 1:07, parents were notified by 1:30/2 and allowed to visit anytime after 5. This time will probably be different since it's our second. I'm not as "worried" about have that time. But no body better touch him until I do ;)!!! Everyone is different as to what they prefer. But it's your baby so what you decide goes. If you don't want to tell people until a few hours you totally have that right.
  • Options
    We are telling people when I've been admitted to the hospital. But like other PP they will be in waiting room until after delivery, skin to skin, and first breast feeding. Also check your hospital visiting guidelines. Ours have changed for the flu season because it's so bad around here. Only 2 visitors in the patients room at a time and no one under 18. To me this is kind of a blessing because hopefully people won't stick around too long as other come to visit' (I.e my MIL because I can see her staying the whole time and never leaving)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I'm torn on whether to tell out of state family during labor or when baby's already here. I don't want DH to be on his phone the whole time updating but don't want anyone to feel ignored either...
  • Options
    We are only planning on letting parents know when we go to the hospital. My parents will be out of state and since we live 40 min from our hospital we plan on going to in-laws when labor starts. They live in the same town as our hospital. We'll tell them when baby is born but tell them we want a good 2-3 hours to do skin to skin, breastfeed, cleanup, and rest before they come. Other family and friends will be invited later.
  • Options
    We lived in another state from the rest of my family for our first born. We had our friends visit on the second day. It was nice being a FTM and having that moment with my husband and newborn. We relocated back to where we were raised when we had our second one. Once she arrived and we were ready for company I called my sister that was watching my first born and asked if she could bring him for a visit. It wasn't until after we had our family time that I told everyone else. I'm hoping for the same this time around too. It kept me relaxed and prevented the craziness that could have been.
  • Options
    I knew going in that my surgery may get pushed back and hospital visiting hours ended early. I had a scheduled c section with my first and stupidly told everyone when it was. I requested that no one be in the waiting room because if surgery was pushed back they wouldn't be able to visit anyway and I wanted time with dd because my pregnancy was really rough.

Lo and behold my surgery was pushed back because another mom went from two centimetres to 8 in a half hour. By the time my surgery was done at 6 I had to recover for an hour then be moved to our room. Visiting hours ended like I knew would happen. I didn't get dd until after 9.

I found out the next day that mil, sil, bil and their kids, my parents, and my best friend were all in the waiting room the whole time and made a huge scene when they couldn't get in. I was so mad! Bil apparently was banging on the nursery glass trying to get in, mil was being dramatic, the kids were too young to be let back anyway. It was a disaster. They all still complain two years later.

This time I'm telling no one. If you don't want them there don't tell them. It's stressful enough without having to worry what they're doing or when they'll try to bust in. I told them that since they weren't there while we made the baby they don't need to be there when it comes out. I want this to be a nice memory, not another nightmare.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a single mom and I have one friend that's helping me through all of this. Currently 36 weeks and my mind hasn't changed since I found out that I don't want to call anyone. Extra people irritating me (I'm very easily irritated, especially nowadays). My birthing plan is also to labor as much as I can at home and then go to the hospital. I'm also trying to go fully natural and I don't want extra attention. I also don't want anyone visiting with me. All friends and family can wait until I get home. I'm not really family oriented so hashing them around its honestly just annoying.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts, experiences and stories. I know my MIL is very excited it is her first grandchild, but like most of you mentioned you want to enjoy the moment, bond skin to skin and nurse. My hospital doesn't have strict visiting policies or numbers what's so ever. All of my family is out of state so I'm not having to dance around this issue with them. Good luck to all of you! I know we can't wait to meet our little one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"