2nd Trimester

Was just offered a new job at almost 19 Weeks...Advice please.

So I applied for this position in July, wayy before I knew I was pregnant. I was just called last week for an interview, and it went well, but I did not disclose the pregnancy. Today I was called by the secretary, not knowing the phone call would be about the job offer, and accepted. I am scheduled to go fill out paper work for the job on Thursday and need a plan! I don't want to not be given the opportunity to at least prove myself just because I'm pregnant. I'm lucky to have a lot of people who are willing to support me, this is a position I went to school for, and I can literally walk to this job (a huge plus!). I'm thinking the main issue will be maternity leave, because I'm not supposed to have any time off the first year. They also require a physical, and I WAS asked about physical limitations, but the example that was given to me was rearranging tables, which I think I can handle. This job requires helping people with developmental disabilities, so I'm not 100% sure what other the physical requirements might entail (pushing a wheel chair, setting up for activties, etc). There is a 120 day probationary period, so there's a chance for me to prove myself, while also retaining an easy out if they want to let me go. Anyone been down this road before/ in the know about how these things work? What did you do, and what was the outcome? Any advice about what the right thing to say to them would be? It's been a trip to hell and back trying to find a job after graduation, and I'd just hate to be discounted if I can help it.

Re: Was just offered a new job at almost 19 Weeks...Advice please.

• You should disclose the pregnancy ASAP...since you will not have worked there for 12 months when you give birth you will not be covered by FMLA (assuming you are in the US and the company is large enough that they are required to follow FMLA).

This means that they are not required to hold your job for you for any longer than you have paid time off to cover unless they have a separate maternity leave policy internally. It us also unlikely that you will be covered by short term disability while out, so any leave they do approve will likely be unpaid.

This is not to say that you shouldn't take the job...it's just to say you should talk to them about this before 100% committing to a job that might not be there for you after you have your baby. Make sure you are protected.
  • I would try to get advice from someone in your industry that you can trust before you say anything to anyone.  Hopefully you have a friend that understands the rules that can give you advice without you having to worry that they'll tell your new (or current) employer about your conversation. 

If you have received an offer from them, in writing, I would assume it's safe to reveal your pregnancy and start asking questions about benefits, maternity leave, etc.  I would think that if they revoke their offer after learning of your pregnancy, they could be sued for discriminating against a protected medical condition. 

• Loading the player...
  • I am starting a new job next week. Have been out of work awhile and this is a great opportunity. I am working in a nursing home as a Social Worker. I am 14 weeks this Thursday and will tell them next week. You can let them know before if you would like but it really shouldn't matrer if you can fulfill the requirements of the position. I started my laat job pregnant and they didn't care.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just had this experience recently myself. I am 18 weeks pregnant. I was looking to change jobs and went out on an interview. I didn't disclose my pregnancy until after I was offered the job. Otherwise I felt they could have used other reasons why they didn't hire me. They were totally fine with it because they felt like i was qualified for the job. I think it is ok for you to let them know ahead of time then for them to be surprised later. Although you are not required to. Some companies would feel like you pulled one over their head and lose trust.

Good luck!
  • If you would like to try and secure your job for after you have the baby, then I would call the new company HR department and speak with the person who handles benefits and leave and discuss your options. It is true that since you will not have worked for the company 12 months before having the baby that you do not qualify for FMLA (12 weeks job protected leave, unpaid unless you have vacation/paid time off to use). I was in a similar situation. I had a high stress job and began applying for other positions in July/August. Had interviews early September, then found out after the interviews that I was pregnant. I found out pretty early (3 weeks) then literally the day after I found out I received a job offer for the position that I wanted most. I did not disclose the pregnancy because I was too early along to share with anyone other than the hubby. So I accepted the position and unfortunately was so sick I had to disclose the pregnancy to my boss after just 4 weeks of work. Not much time to prove yourself in a new position. I work in HR, specifically administering Benefits and FMLA. My boss was very understanding, and we did discuss the options available to me. They are willing to give me 8 weeks of leave, then I have to return to work -or- I can terminate employment and reapply for the position when I am ready to come back. The problem with the latter is that I am not guaranteed they will hold my position, but I need more than 8 weeks of time with my baby. I regret not disclosing the pregnancy at the time of the offer, because at that point, the offer was made and it was clear they felt I was best for the position. I could have tried to negotiate the standard 12 weeks of leave as part of the employment offer. Once an employment offer has been made, they cannot retract it because you are pregnant, that is not legal. I found out after I started my new job that they had recently hired a girl in the exact situation I was in and they approved 12 weeks of leave as part of her employment offer. I hope this helps you decide how to approach this. I know if I could go back and change the way I handled it, I would.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"