School-Aged Children
Options

Chewable cold medicine?

Does anyone know where I can buy chewable (fast dissolve, whatever, just not liquids) cold medicine for a 6 year old?  DD1 started Sunday with a sore throat and has spent much of the week feeling crappy.  It's now progressed to runny nose and cough.  She WILL NOT do any kind of liquid medicine and after 6 years of trying, I know I can't force her to take anything.  She's recently decided she can do chewables and has been getting ibuprofen once a day or night since about Tuesday but since it's progressed more to cold and less to pain, I'd like to switch medicines.  Anyone?  PLEASE?!?!?! 
P.S. I've looked at Walmart and CVS since they are the only pharmacies we have in this town but I am willing to travel or order online.  Desperate times.....
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Chewable cold medicine?

• Options
    What kind do you buy?  I'm still only seeing pain relievers.
  • Options
    -auntie- said:
    Tylenol makes a Junior strength chewable cold medicine
    I know, but I can't find it anywhere!?!?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DesignermommaDesignermomma member
    edited January 2015
    Yes only thing I have found are Mucinex Melts. (Found at Kroger) I tried to trick my son and told him it was candy (like Pixie stix) and it did not go well. Read the directions carefully!! They must melt on your tounge! If you chew them, they taste horrible! (I tried it)

Another trick is I melt a popcicle or mix with a strong juice flavor with liquid cold medicine and he doesn't mind the flavor as much. When he had the flu, he had to take Tamiflu which tasted awful I got him to chug it that way and then I offered a cookie as a reward.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter HATED liquid cold medicine, and it was a real ordeal for me when she was that age.  Much kids' cold medicine has been taken off the market in recent years anyway.  I relied heavily on home and homeopathic remedies like cough drops, hot "tea" (weak tea with a lot of milk and sugar), steam, vicks vapo-rub, and saline nasal spray, 

True confession: I cheated and started giving my kids adult cold medicine when they were about 10. Both my kids would much rather swallow a pill with water than take nasty liquid medicine.  Me too, actually!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"