Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Is this a normal injury??

2 of my kids have fallen somewhere between 1 and 2 and nearly bit through their tongue. The first time it happened there was so much blood one of my friends nearly passed out and another called 911. (I was unaware of her calling just trying to control bleeding and screaming) Just happened again today to my 3rd while she was climbing the play thing outside 5 feet away from me. None have been severe enough to need stitches. My sister bit through her tongue when she was 4 and had to get top and bottom stitches. Do I just have clutzy kids or has this happened to others?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance

Re: Is this a normal injury??

• Options
    It has never happened to either of my kids. My 2nd was extremely clumsy and fell down A LOT, so much that he wore a helmet for 3 months, and that still never happened. I am thankful!  (BTW he is fine now and outgrew the problem, but he just doesn't have the greatest gross motor skills).

• Options
    Happened to my 2 yo daughter last month. She was at DC, fell off a chair, and bit deeply into her tongue. Blood everywhere, and DC called MH to say that if he couldn't get there immediately, they'd call an ambulance. MH took her to the ER, and due to the amount of blood, they were going to sedate her to examine it (she wouldn't open her mouth for them). Eventually the bleeding stopped and no sutures were required (they only suture if the tongue is literally in danger of detaching). Her tongue ended up getting infected, so we had to go back to urgent care.

All that to say, yes, it's very common.
    Ugh! Infected too!? So sorry. All my friends are so surprised by our injury I was curious if it happened often. We went to the Children's ER for one and nothing for the most recent injury since we were kind of used to it by now. We didn't get any infection though. This one just healed up in amazing time. It closed up by the next morning and she hasn't acted a teeny bit off in her eating. Thanks for the input!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's official my kids are just super clutzy. Middle daughter bit halfway through her bottom lip 2 days ago.
  • Options
    Pretty common I think. My son fell awhile back and bit his lip and a little bit of his tongue. Blood everywhere. Looked worse than it was. The bleeding stopped fairly quickly. The good news is that mouth wounds heal pretty fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"