Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping Mommies

DS (baby 2) is 2 months old now. i am back to work and struggling. I produce too much milk to comfortably feed him every 2 hours so for the past few weeks i have been pumping only and bottle feeding. That is going great...HOWEVER now that i am back to work i am unable to pump every 2 hours (my employers will let me but i have to clock out so i am losing so much time on the clock if i pump every 2 hours) SO i go longer in between pumping. Will the aching and soreness go away or should i just suck it up and go back to 2 hours? I was unable to breast feed with my DD and dont want to stop and put my son on formula. The amount i am having to clock out for and the cost of formula comes out to about the same. Thankfully my boobs arent taxed ;) Im looking for advice and help if anyone can offer any!

Re: Pumping Mommies

• Options
    ALSO Will he always eat 4oz every 2 hours or does that vary? DD was formula fed so this is an entirely new ballgame for us!
  • Options
    Get a car adapter and a diaper cover. Pump while driving to and from work. It is weird, but can be done! I did it all the time while I was pumping often! Kill two birds with one stone!
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @singingirl96 this is hilarious but SO worth a try! its a 30 minute drive and would be perfect time wise! Now to just not get pulled over lol
  • Options
    Yes, it is funny.  But, really, do it.  You get used to it. Just give yourself an extra 15 minutes because you'll need to set up and unhook and stuff.  I was the driving pumping pro!
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
  • Options

Yes, it is funny.  But, really, do it.  You get used to it. Just give yourself an extra 15 minutes because you'll need to set up and unhook and stuff.  I was the driving pumping pro!

I have read about this but DH thinks it is dangerous and is really against it. I have a 45 min one way commute so I would really like to try this!
  • Options
    @singingirl96 ive ordered an adapter but am having issues with bra sizing for the hands free...suggestion?
  • Options
    If you are seriously thinking about switching to formula couldn't you just supplement with it if you don't get enough. Wouldn't some breast milk be better than none. I know I got samples in the mail from one of the formula companies for formula for supplementing with breast milk.
  • Options
    we have gotten samples as well i just dont want to deal with what comes with it. With DD we struggled with her spitting up a huge amount after every bottle no matter what we switched to! I am on supplements now thanks to my anxiety i finally just called the doc and explained the situation. i have a massive supply of milk in the freezer but am afraid that by me going so long between pumps my milk will slowly diminish. i think the car pumping is going to be the answer to getting enough out to be comfortable for a few hours between pumps.
  • Options
    As far as a pumping Bra. either use an old (and therefore too tight) sports bra, or do what i did. I just went to Walmart and bought one (clasps in the front) for $7 and cut holes in it. Works like a dream!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I never used a pumping bra.  I usually only tuck the flanges into my nursing bra and once i turn the suction on, it is enough to hold it in place.  but then again, I'm only a b cup so that works. 

As far as formula feeding.  If you have a great supply you should definitely try as much as possible to stick to BM.  There is nothing "wrong" with formula feeding, but BM is the very best for your child and it is FREE!  Formula is really expensive and you go through a small can in just a few days.  I think it is totally worth it to pump while going into work and home from work, that way you'll have to take less breaks during the day to pump.

I should add that I used pumping pals as my flanges.  they allow you to sit up and lean back instead of hunching over to pump.

5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
  • Options

@singingirl96 i didnt know that there were different kinds!! You have opened up yet another door for me! I have a Medela. Do they just plug into those adapters or do i have to buy new there too?

• Options
    @singingirl96 i just looked them up and saw the description...they do fit. going to buy thank you for the suggestion!
  • Options
    @MrsStanger‌ , I second the nursing bra with holes cut in it for flanges. I also bought a Medela pumping bustier. I got mine at the hospital, but saw it at BuyBuyBaby for $34. So I have 2 options :-) good luck! Im pumping and bottle feed d/t tonfue tie/latch issues and it is super time consuming!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You'll love pumping pals.  They are a life saver!
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
  • Options

@amyg* i pump and then feed. he wasnt latching right even with numerous trips to the LC so instead of giving up i decided to just pump. in my mind that means that the milk before put into his bottle is mixed somewhat evenly with hindmilk and foremilk? ive managed to stretch out between pumps so its not so painful if i cant for 3 hours. How do i decrease supply so he is only getting the best milk?

Going back to work i tried really hard to store milk. That being said i have about a 2 week supply stored up. if my milk adjusts with babies needs, when i leave him at the sitters and he has the milk that was frozen 2 weeks ago, is he getting the nutrition that he needs?

• Options
    @Bigboneded i usually pawn him off on husband after i pump so i can get some done. we rotate feedings so we are both able to bond.
  • Options

The sitter feeds him every 2-3 hours and its still 3.5-4 oz. That is 4 times a day. then he has started cluster feeding in the evenings so there is about 6 oz from 5-9 pm. He only wakes up once a night. Then the routine starts over. He is on the big side but he has seemed to level out in the past week. At 2 MO he is about 13 lbs. We use the maam products and use the #1 nipple. I didnt realize that it wasnt supposed to leak out when you turned it upside down. they dont make smaller nipple then what we currently have.

Pump session are about 10 minutes. If i can pump every 3 hours i am producing about 4-6 oz. each side! This is why i am EP he would start choking when my milk let down otherwise. Its more time consuming and expensive to have to clock out at work. For a full day i am pumping a total of about 48 ounces. Im going to look into donating as our freezer is well stocked and i cant imagine disposing of any of it. The total daily intake for him is right around 28 oz.

My first BF post was significantly larger but we were in a growth spurt. When those come around should i continue to try and keep things spaced or will he require more?

If my body adjusts to his needs as he gets older should i not be giving him pumped milk from a month ago? Im making enough i can donate last months and give him the current or will that totally throw him off?
    BFing is SO much harder than i imagined. im not well versed in what to do or how to get this all down!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"