Two Under 2
Options

Breastfeeding, Pregnancy, and Weaning

edited December 2014 in Two Under 2
Ok, all you moms who breastfed and then got pregnant while the baby was under 1yr... Can you give your experience/advice? DD is 17mos (formula fed, so it didn't matter), DS is 4mos (exclusively breastfed), and we are planning to 'try' again (or not not try) come Feb or March - he'll be 6 or 7 mos. (I got my cycle back at 2mos - not thrilled about that - and I get pregnant REALLY easily.) My goal is to nurse DS till 1yr, but if I get pregnant when I'd like to, I'll at least be in/through the 1st Tri while still nursing. I don't have a huge supply, and I'm afraid I'll dry up before DS is 1, or at least have to supplement. What do you think?

Re: Breastfeeding, Pregnancy, and Weaning

• Options
    I don't have advice for you because DS1 was formula fed when I got pregnant with DS2. But this board is kind of slow, you might want to cross post on the Breastfeeding board. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree about checking on the breastfeeding board as well.

I weaned DD at 13 months and I was about 12 weeks pregnant. I probably could have gone longer but nursing was uncomfortable at times and I know my supply was low since DD wasn't nursing much at that time. Since she was already 1 I didn't stress. There are a lot of women who nurse while pregnant or tandem nurse though so it's definitely possible.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I nursed DD throughout DS's pregnancy. My supply slowly decreased, but I never lost it. She was 13m1d when he was born, and I tandem nursed them for six months before she weaned. DS was an older and much more infrequent nurser when I got pregnant this time. My supply decreased much faster as a result, and he choose to wean suddenly at 13.5 months. (One night he nursed like normal; the next day he refused and never would again.) I was about 4 months pregnant at the time. Every situation is different. I highly recommend Adventures in Tandem Nursing. It is my go to book on the subject. :)
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Options
    Cool - thank you for the help! Sounds like it's really different for every mamma/baby. Thanks!!
  • Options

I had a great supply until I got pregnant when DD was 10 months old. We still made it to a year, but I had to use my freezer stash to top off bottles (I work, and DD was getting 1 or 2 bottles a day at daycare by then) because I just wasn't able to pump enough anymore. I still nursed in the morning and at bedtime until she was 14 months. Weaning was super easy because I had so little milk left.

If DD were younger and nursing more frequently, it's possible my supply wouldn't have been as impacted. It's hard to say.

• Options
    I got pregnant when DS#1 was 10 months.  I was nursing first thing in the morning and a night before bed.  I didn't see any change in supply.  My OB did mention to me though that you should only breastfeed until you are 20 weeks pregnant.  After that, breastfeeding increases the risk for pre-term labor.  I weaned at about a week shy of his 1st birthday.
  • Options
    Why would you only breast feed until 20 weeks. I know plenty of women who breast fed all the way through pregnancy. I will if I can!!
  • Options
    I had supply issues, but still breastfed for 8.5 months at which point I suddenly dried up. I didn't know at the time I was pregnant with DS2. Good luck!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"