August 2015 Moms

Baby Shower

So my due date is Aug 3. And I know it's too early NOW to have a baby shower, but can u have one right after we find out gender? I don't want to have to wait to buy things. And I want to know what I'll get from people so that I know what I have left to buy. So is it acceptable like 2 or 3 weeks after we find out gender to have the shower? ?

Re: Baby Shower

• KLB2TKLB2T member
    edited January 2015

Well, typically you find out the sex of the baby around 20 weeks, and most people's showers aren't until later in the pregnancy...like 30+ weeks.

My mother threw me one when I was 34 weeks.

ETA: I still had plenty of time to buy the rest of the things we needed after the shower and DD came 2 weeks early.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    # 1
    BFP: 9/17/2013, EDD: 6/1/2014
    Welcome to the World, Brielle Lorraine: 5/23/2014 @ 2:01pm, 6lbs 6oz, 19.75in
    # 2
    BFP: 12/12/2014, EDD: 8/25/2015
  • Personally I would wait. I think it's more common to do it at around 30 weeks or more. I believe mine for DS was at 35 weeks or so.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Loading the player...
  • etc35173 said:
    Personally, I would find it a bit odd to go to a shower that early and there is no reason you would need to wait to buy things. If you see something you love just grab it.  When does your host wish to throw the shower? Honestly, the last few weeks before baby comes drag on and on and on.  IMO having the shower later helps keep you busy and keeps your mind of the waiting. 

Something to think about: I always urge my friends to avoid using the sex of the baby to register for all the pink/blue! Assuming you aren't one and done your next baby may have different genitals.  

This. Everyone knew that we were having a girl, however, the only things we received that were gender specific were clothes. Bath toys, feeding items, and big ticket items (we bought ourselves) were all gender neutral and I'm very happy about that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    # 1
    BFP: 9/17/2013, EDD: 6/1/2014
    Welcome to the World, Brielle Lorraine: 5/23/2014 @ 2:01pm, 6lbs 6oz, 19.75in
    # 2
    BFP: 12/12/2014, EDD: 8/25/2015
  • Have it whenever you want! I would be a little disappointed if the mama to be wasn't even showing, or barley showing haha but it's not a big deal for me either way. I'm relaxed about what other people choose to do with themselves.
  • If you plan it when you are around 7 months, you still have plenty of time to buy whatever you want that they don't buy. Keep in mind, you can still register as soon as you find out the sex of the baby - and if you really want to know what people have bought for you, you can stalk your registry and see!
  • I would not do it before 24 weeks, that's considered medical viability. I think most people do theirs between 32 weeks and 36 weeks, which gives you plenty of time to return/wash/set up everything.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Some moms to be do it when their belly is big so they can have fun measuring the belly or other games but I know how it feels to want to buy everything for the baby already cause the stuff is so cute but then what if you get the same stuff at the shower.:/
  • In our area you normally only have showers after baby is born.
    But new babies don't need much so it is not a big deal!
  • We had our baby shower after the baby was born and it was more of a meet and greet anyways.  We really didn't 'need' anything with our first because my sister and cousin both gave us a ton of hand-me-downs (for which we were super grateful for).  We just wanted to show off our bundle of joy.
  • I'm due August 3 as well and my shower is going to be June 7. I personally would be disappointed to go to a shower when the mom-to-be didn't have a baby bump, so maybe do it a little bit earlier than normal to give you more shopping time if that's what you want, but just by a few weeks. Just my thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"