Success after IF

IVF #1, long stim cycle, high estrogen...... now have a rough decision to make.....

hello ladies, hope everyone is on tract with their cycles and protocols just wondering if anyone has been in my boat!!! this is my fiance and i, IVF #1 cycle. we were set up to take follistim (150) and menopur (150) for 10 days. at day 10 of stim, my RE wasnt happy with the quality and quantity of follicles. so she continued me on the same meds. upon ultrasoubd on day 14, doc noticed that my estrogen was about 3000 and my uterine lining looked 'foggy", meaning my body had started to self produce the progesterone and it in turn affected my lining. she then shocked me with a decision that we needed to make...... she said that there had been recent studies to show lower pregnancy success rate with such high estrogen and the foggy uterine lining. she she asked if maybe we wanted to freeze the eggs that are retrived and transfer them in 8 long weeks!!!!! we did the ER today and got 10 eggs, we now have 3 days to decide if we want to go ahead with a fresh cycle or just hold off for a better opportunity with a frozen cycle. of course im an emotional mess about the idea of having to wait another 8 weeks........ i cant find any literature about this circumstance. has this happened to anyone else or have any of you ladies heard of this?
me:33 Fiance: 34
Diagnosis: DOR
TTC since June 2013
IUI #1---BFN
IUI #2--- BFN
IVF #1--- BFP on 4/5/2015

Re: IVF #1, long stim cycle, high estrogen...... now have a rough decision to make.....

• ok somewhere i clicked on a wrong button and didnt mean to post this discussion on this board category. whoops...... but maybe someones success story came from the same situation as me.
    TTC since June 2013
    IUI #1---BFN
    IUI #2--- BFN
  • kmc84kmc84 member
    edited January 2015
    My first IVF was rough...long stims, slow growth, and a very high estrogen level. We chose to cancel because I was in so much pain and not yet ready for ER. Had we been able to push through to ER we absolutely would have frozen anything we were able to. There are some clinics that are moving to FET only cycles.

It's not an easy decision to make, but I think the smart decision is to freeze and transfer when your body calms down. If you transfer now and get pregnant, you risk OHSS, possible hospital admission for paracentisis, and other complications. If you transfer now and don't get pregnant, are you going to regret 'wasting' embyos on a less than ideal transfer?

Good luck! I know its not easy!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Loading the player...
  • My clinic is one that moved to freeze all cycles and FETs rather than fresh. Not only do the things you mentioned effect pregnancy rates, but progesterone levels do as well. With my son, we had 6 embryos, only one turned into a blast and the four we did not transfer arrested between day 5 and 6. This time, my RE agreed to a fresh cycle only if my progesterone was low enough. It was not so we had to do a FET. We were worried none of our fertilized eggs would make it to blast, but four did. It was also a lot better for my body to return to normal state, giving the embryo we transferred a better chance of implanting. Good luck with you decision, this whole process is not easy.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Sorry you find yourself in this spot. However, I'm with the other ladies in doing a freeze all. Unless your uterus is in optimal condition, you are at a very high chance for "wasting" your best embryo/embryos. Doing at FET ensures your estrogen and ute lining are 100% optimal for transfer. 

My only alternate to the initial advice is if your embryos risk not making it to a 5 day blast. In my situation we did a 3dt of 2 embryos because we had a low fertilization rate and only had 5 of 11 growing, of which 3 looked decent. 

Ask about your clinic's freezing guides. Maybe if you get to day 5 and several look good to freeze and you have one or two that won't be good enough to freeze, they can put those back since they would otherwise be discarded. 

Good luck! IVF is super stressful anyway. When things doing go according to plan it seems 1000x worse. 
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• I would freeze all since then your body can recover and be in an ideal state for transfer.

Best of luck with your decision :)

H: 34 dx Azoospermia due to CBAVD from CF  
    ME: 39 IS FINE!!!  DOR and poor AMH/FSH/LH
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #1 Beta 1 373 Beta 2 1783 BOY/GIRL TWINS!! Born April 2010!!
    Natural FET 5/26/12 2 blasts Beta 1 207 Beta 2 513 Beta 3 1377 U/S 6/28 Pregnancy not viable d & c scheduled :( 
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #2 ER 11/15/12 Nothing to transfer :( 
    IVF/ICSI #3 April 2013 MDLF 3dt of 3 embryos, chemical :(  
    IVF #4/ICSI/MESA/CCS/FET EPP April 2015
    ODWU CCRM with Dr. Sch COMPLETE!!!! Put on acai supplement they are studying for DOR and embryo quality.
    DAY 3 Labs Drawn 2/26 put on vitamin D and calcium supplements
    Regroup and Protocol Reveal 3/04 "Bazooka Protocol" EPP with MDLF "Protocol 6 with patches"
    ER/MESA 4/10 ER 9 eggs retrieved MESA success found live swimmers :)
    Fertilization Report 6 eggs mature and ICSI'd 4 eggs fertilized normally
    Day 6 Report to Blast for CCS 4/16: 2 DAY 5 BLASTS BIOPSIED FOR CCS a 4AB and a 3AB!!!!
    CCS Results BOTH BLASTS CCS NORMAL!!!!!!  call on 4/24
    Regroup call to discuss CCS results and FET call on 5/20
    FET prep: CD 1 6/08 CD 3 Start BCP 6/10, HSG 6/12 Lupron Start 10 iu 6/17 End BCP 6/21 CD 1 6/23!!!
    Start vivelle patches 6/25 change e/o/d reduce Lupron to 5iu 6/25 Blood Draw 7/01, 7/08, 7/15, 7/19
    Increase vivelle patches 7/03 2 change e/o/d and 7/05 change e/o/d 3 and 7/07 4 change e/o/d add vaginal estrace 2x a day
    Lining Check/Blood Draw 7/08 and 7/15 End Lupron 7/18  Start PIO 1ml daily 7/18  Blood  Draw 7/19
    Flight to clinic 7/22
    FET 2 CCS BLASTS :):)  7/23 :):) YES YES both thawed and both fully expanded :):)
    7/26 :):) 3dp5dt PM very very faint positive FRER
    7/27: 4dp5dt Neg Digi AM but very very faint positive FRER PM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 1-2 :):) 
    7/31:8dp5dt AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 2-3!!!! :):) 
    Beta 1 8/01= 408!!!!!!!!!! at 9dp5dt FET
    Beta 2 8/03 = 1014!!!!!!!!!! at 11dp5dt FET
    8/05/2015 AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 3+!!!! :):) 
    First Ultrasound: 8/20!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genetics says BOTH BOYS!!!!!!!!!
    Second Ultrasound: 9/03!!!!!!!!!!

• I agree with everyone else. I know that 8 weeks seems like such a long time when you are in the thick of an IVFS cycle, but I the grand scheme of things 8 weeks is not that long. It is definitely worth it to wait 8 weeks to transfer if it will increase your chances of having a successful cycle.good luck!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • hey ladies thanks for your responses and advice. i think we are leaning towards freezing also.... all the research that we've done suggests that freezing is the better way to go although the wait is going to be really hard for me. the endocranologist called this mornign and said that 9 of the 10 follicles, fertilized. we will get another update on tuesdsay.
    TTC since June 2013
    IUI #1---BFN
    IUI #2--- BFN
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"