2nd Trimester

When to start buying baby stuff

i am 22 weeks and I am just wondering when did everyone start buying there baby stuff or pram ect?

Re: When to start buying baby stuff

• Whenever you want? It's your money.
  • We've been gathering things since about 6 weeks. Early in the pregnancy we made a list of the things we needed and the things we just wanted, and have tried to find them on sale or second hand since then. We just update our registry as we go. For example, we need a little bunting/snow suit because we're expecting an early February baby. The one I picked on Amazon is $40, but knowing it was on my list I found one at a consignment store for $9. Another example is about 13 weeks I found the perfect vintage dresser at an antique store and bought it. I also found a great "best chairs" upholstered glider on Craigslist. We were going to buy one new for $500 but got that one, in perfect condition and the color I wanted, for $80 just because I knew what I wanted for the nursery. If I had missed that one, it wouldn't have happened because I haven't seen another like it since then. We've also made it known to others that we are totally down with second hand stuff and my SIL gave us her wood high chair in excellent condition. Knowing exactly what car seat we wanted (Safety First Air 35), I was able to snag it when Target was having a great sale and got about $40 off. So that has been our strategy since day one - knowing in advance exactly what we want or need and being ready to purchase when we see the best deal. I am 25 weeks and we don't have that much more we really need, mostly just "nice to have"s like a jogging stroller, nursing pillow, pack and play, etc. We didn't find out the sex of our baby so it helps to keep everything gender neutral so we can hopefully use it all for future kiddos as well.

We aren't planning to use a crib for 6 months so unless someone gets it for our shower (not counting on it) we will just buy it after the birth. We are doing cloth diapers and I am picking up just a few of several different types in newborn sizes and when the baby is a few months old we will purchase our stash depending on what works best for us. So no rush, newborns need very few things. I hope this helps! :) 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I waited until 24 weeks... Having gone through previous losses you I didn't want the pain of returning or seeing those item etc... but everyone is different and you should buy when you feel comfortable
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• I have been keeping a wish list on Amazon since practically the beginning and when the price goes down on a particular item I just buy it. I have gotten some really good deals, at least 40% off on everything I have bought.  The trick is to check the pricing every day because it fluctuates quite a bit!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I got a few things around 16 weeks (bassinet, pack & play, blanket, etc), and just got a few outfits this past week. Slowly we will be buying the things we need between now and when baby gets here. 
  • I buy when I see items that I want onsale. This isn't my first so I have an idea of what items I like and will use.
  • I'm waiting until pretty close to birth unless I find an amazing deal. I want to maximize the warranty life, get the most recent pieces.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• I haven't bought a thing (26 weeks). I got my first present from a relative yesterday, a blanket and outfit. Now my son has THINGS! I have about half the registry ready. No rush. 
  • I am only 14 weeks, I already have a bin full of new baby clothes, a baby carrier (Ergo, like new for $40!) and a crib (new with tags, $300, regularly over $700), some nursery decor, our first baby book...

I can't imagine waiting until past 20 weeks! I always planned on scouring deals and purchasing items when I found things I couldn't pass up. This is what I have been doing. Even with the baby clothes, they were all on sale. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've only made a registry but have bought nothing. We're renovating our house and will be moving out soon and won't be back until January -- no way I want to add anything else to our load.
    Daisypath Vacation tickersBabyFetus Ticker
    Married 19 October 2013
    TTC since June 2014
    BFP: 3 July 2014
    EDD: Pi Day 2015
  • I got my crib at 14 weeks. I'm glad I got it now because it's damaged and a new one is being shipped. I have an intense urge to get the big stuff bought and put together. Up next, glider and dresser.
  • I bought my nursery set at 12 weeks because someone I knew was selling one cheap. I'll definitely end up with some clothes tomorrow after the anatomy scan. Everything else, I really don't know.
    BFP 8/9/2014
    Baby Boy wolowizard due 4/14/2015
    Greyson Robert
  • In my 3rd trimester. We were moving so we waited until we were in our new place. I would've started shopping earlier if I didn't have to pack for a move.
  • I'm 17 weeks and couldn't bring myself to buy anything I'm so scared of miscarrying still... Just seems too good to be true for me. But my fella has just ordered stuff to suprise decorate the nursery, it's made me nervous but I appreciate it, and SIL bought baby a toy for xmas, I still can't do it. Maybe after 20 week scan il feel better which is 2 weeks away xxx
  • I've been keeping an eye on sales and Craigslist since I was 8 weeks! We bought our travel system this weekend because we found it brand new on Craigslist for $75 (retail price is $300) so yeah. Buy whenever you want!
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • When we got the all clear at 20weeks, we celebrated by buying ALL the things!! It was the Christmas sales soon after so we managed to get some stuff for a great price.

We did celebrate when we found out at 7w with one baby grow but that was it. I'd just go with when you feel comfy!
  • jgrace82jgrace82 member
    edited January 2015
    I started buying stuff yesterday. Just onsies and bibs and a snoogle pillow. I think I have to be allowed to get excited or it won't feel real to me. Just me.
  • First baby bought a onesie when we found out it was a girl.  Then held off until the third tri.

Second time around didn't buy much at all except clothes when it got close to D-day.

This time I just troll the internet for good deals and buy em as I see em.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Always Sunny's back b-tches!

• We bought our first two or three onesies once I was into the second trimester. I'm 23 weeks now and we haven't really bought much else except for the nursery furniture and maybe a onesie here or there. We will probably start soon though. 
  • ruby2315ruby2315 member
    edited January 2015
  • We haven't had an ultrasound yet(not even for dating) and we're at 17 weeks. We haven't bought anything. Still nervous. DH is ready to fill the house with stuff.
  • I am almost 26 weeks and have most of my LO's things. Just need a dresser and some more stock in diapers and wipes!
  • I have only bought a few cute onsies here and there. Christmas we got a lot of neutral gender stuff since we didn't know the sex yet as well as some books and toys.

I am trying to wait until after my two showers to pick up whatever is left. My mom is going to come out around 22 weeks to help decorate the nursery and pick up some of our bigger items. I am sure we will buy things around that time if we find a good deal.

• I waited till my 24 weeks to start buying diapers & wipes...im planning to do my nursery room around 28-29 weeks.
  • Haven't bought a thing nor have I registered. FTM and I'm 20 weeks. We are buying a house so I'm broke and don't want to have to move anything extra. Plus I'm the last amongst my friends to have a baby so I know there are tons of hand me downs coming my way, so I'll wait till after thathe.
  • Never. Throw your own baby shower, and write in the invitations exactly what gift each guest is required to bring. Then you don't have to buy anything. Make sure to add that they should also bring a book and pack of diapers for baby as well.

Option two... but baby stuff when you have money and feel like buying baby stuff. Rocket science, it is not.
  • We haven't bought anything yet and I'm almost 25 weeks. All we've done to prepare is paint his room. H wants to wait until our baby shower and then worry about everything else after. I'd rather start buying a few things now when I see deals though. However we're trying to save as much money as possible so I guess we'll wait and see. Once I hit 3rd tri I might force him to go get some things.
  • I just started buying stuff. I was super nervous to in the beginning. I think you should buy stuff whenever you want too.

Pregnancy Ticker

Angel baby 3/2014 at 5.5 weeks
    Angel baby 6/2014 MMC at 7.5 weeks
  • All of the pp were spot on! I have nothing to add except that I just spent a good five minutes trying to figure out wtf a pram is. I googled it, it's a stroller!
  • We had a rough 1st trimester. I had a bleed in my uterus. We made the list early and waited for the bleed to absorb. At 18 weeks we got the all clear and began shopping. We are completely done now at 21 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"