May 2015 Moms

Heartburn

I get heart burn with just about everything I eat is there a way it can stop or anything I can eat without getting heartburn?

Re: Heartburn

• Not in my experience:( Go to the chemist and grab some chewable tablet things. They are the only relief I get!
  • I think that since our heartburn is related to our tummy being squished up into our necks, the best we can hope for is to de-acidify our stomach juices. So tums is about your only option. :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, I agree with PP. Tums works wonders for me. I also asked my Dr about this since it happens all day, everyday, no matter what I eat and he also mentioned Mylanta and Maalox. As well as, 1 tbsp heavy cream a half an hour before you eat. So, whichever you find to work best for you!
  • I have tums in my purse, on my nightstand, in my kitchen...i feel your pain!
  • Tums is my new best friend!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tums didn't cut it this time for me. I ended up on Zantac which is prescription. Works so well! Foods to avoid would be anything acidic - tomato based dishes, citrus fruit etc
  • Also avoid food high in acid as well as chocolate. Don't eat within 2 hours of lying down. If it is really bad you can out cinder blocks under the top two legs of your bed to let gravity help keep your food down.
  • I've had heartburn so bad during all my pregnancies that it regularly makes me throw up.  Tums are okay, but they aren't really going to work if your heartburn is THAT bad.  My doctor recommended getting generic Zantac, which is Ranitidine.  I take 150mg every morning and also either right before or right after dinner.  It has really helped. 

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• I've been taking the generic target brand an-acid relief.  I'm at work now so I can't look.  I had to start it way earlier this time than last pregnancy but thats the only thing that helps me.  I can eat spicy food no problem but drink a bunch of water and its heartburn from hell.  Its a 24 hour tablet, comes in bottles of 14.  
  • TUMS! -  and a neighbor recommended eating Watermelon for heartburn. Haven't tried it myself, but it can't hurt to try. 
    Baby girl born on May 15, 2015!  (DS born 2011)
  • Smaller meals and eating slower seems to have helped me some too
  • My Dr. prescribed Lansoprazole. Only way I could keep anything down for quite a while was to stay on it. It's gotten better in the last few weeks though, I only take it when I know I'll be eating something iffy (pizza) or if I begin to feel sick. It works!!!
  • Zantac. Usually it doesn't require a prescription. It's better than taking a bunch of tums throughout the day.
  • Try some Tums (the ones with calcium are great, plus we need lots of calcium anyway) and I find that mineral water works well too.
  • I use Zantac daily, my dr said its ok to use and it makes a huge difference!
  • Too many tums can cause problems. For me they quit working anyway so I've done Zantac.
  • Milk!  I drink milk when my heartburn acts up and it helps immediately.

• Definitely zantac, and also eating an apple also helps my heartburn.

• My doctor recommended Zantac 150mgs, I buy the store brand version of Zantac, it's about half the price. I take it as soon as I wake up and in the evenings when I get home, it works wonders! Oh and drink lots of ice water and stay away from tomatoes. Good luck!
  • Rosie3rd said:

Tums didn't cut it this time for me. I ended up on Zantac which is prescription. Works so well! Foods to avoid would be anything acidic - tomato based dishes, citrus fruit etc

I take the OTC and it's half the cost and works just fine.

Our rescued fur babies, Harley and Maya

Pregnancy%20ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP 1/23/14, EDD 10/1/14, M/C 2/13/14 - Forever loved <3
  • Rosie3rd said:

Tums didn't cut it this time for me. I ended up on Zantac which is prescription. Works so well! Foods to avoid would be anything acidic - tomato based dishes, citrus fruit etc

I take the OTC and it's half the cost and works just fine.
    I don't know if it's just prescription in Australia, or if my doctor just gave me a prescription brand. I might have to check out my chemist to see if there's an OTC one I can get.
  • Acupuncture has helped with mine. Also aloe juice or a little baking soda in water to neutralize the stomach acid.
  • tums!! i have heard papaya enzyme & lemon water work too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"