September 2014 Moms

finding hands

I am overly stressed about milestones. My DD hasn't yet "found her hands" and I'm starting to worry she's behind. I know it's not a big deal, but I'm so looking forward to her being able to play with her toys. She knows how to grab things if they happen to touch her hand, and she can put things in her mouth, but she doesn't really reach for things with her hands and nothing she does with them really seems intentional. She'll be 4 months on the 17th... when did all your LOs start to use their hands on purpose?

Re: finding hands

• Mine will be 4 months on the 18th and just within the past week she has started intentionally grabbing at things. No worries mama she will get there!
  • My DS is the same he'll be 4 months on the 15th.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe try some new things to grab towards? Mine just started really grabbing not long ago and still isn't grabbing unless you sort of hand to her. Maybe your LO just hasn't spotted something worth grabbing yet?

Either way, all babies are different and approach the milestones differently.  If your pedi doesn't get worried, I wouldn't either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only reason mine found his so hands so early was to suck his thumb. He is just starting to try to grab at toys and he's only a couple of days younger than your little girl.
  • Before she started grabbing things, I used to hold a couple things in front of her to look at and practice reaching out. One of them was a fluffy beanie baby and I think she liked feeling it. She got better over time but is hard to tell if it that actually helped or she was just ready.

• I am overly stressed about milestones. My DD hasn't yet "found her hands" and I'm starting to worry she's behind. I know it's not a big deal, but I'm so looking forward to her being able to play with her toys. She knows how to grab things if they happen to touch her hand, and she can put things in her mouth, but she doesn't really reach for things with her hands and nothing she does with them really seems intentional. She'll be 4 months on the 17th... when did all your LOs start to use their hands on purpose?
    if you acknowledge that the topic of looking for milestones stresses you out, i don't see how posting a thread about it is a positive step for you. that just fuels the stress - all the comparing.

i know hearing me say that "all babies are different" may not satisfy you, but you owe it to yourself to not "feed the beast" and try to make yourself into a happier mama. is your pediatrician someone you can talk to about this? maybe he/she can give you some reassurance. GL.

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • @anewadventure that's a pretty valid point.  It did help a little though to see that other LOs are the same age and are at about the same point.  I'll check with pedi at her 4 month, but just wanted to get some other input.  So far the responses haven't made me more stressed lol but you're right, they could...
  • anewadventure that's a pretty valid point.  It did help a little though to see that other LOs are the same age and are at about the same point.  I'll check with pedi at her 4 month, but just wanted to get some other input.  So far the responses haven't made me more stressed lol but you're right, they could...
    i can see how it helps when you get some responses of other babies at the same point...but you also could have gotten responses that are the opposite.

try not to overstress yourself. being a mom is hard enough as it is, right?

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • rose913rose913 member
    edited January 2015
    This article just popped up on Facebook.... I thought it was pretty funny and fitting for this post!
    https://www.scarymommy.com/developmental-milestones-are-bullshit/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sister, my first child was a preemie and we have to go to a developmental appt every once in a while where they test her on everything and then tell us exactly how she compares.  It is awful.  With this one, it is so relaxing to just watch him smile and forget about things.  For the record, he's an early Sept baby and still not as grabby as his sister.  And he loves putting things in his mouth but he isn't very good at getting things in yet.
  • @LaurenWarwick‌ my DD NEVER hit the milestones for finding her hands/feet, mimicking, real belly laughs, grabbing/reaching, she would sit or lay in one spot and look at me like I was crazy. She started rolling at 3.5 months, sitting at 5 months, crawling at 6 months, I was so worried about her emotional development and I would ask her pedi at every a appointment if something was wrong with her. Every time we saw her pedi she would make a subtle movement for the pedi (grabbing at a toy/ laughing) just something. And I was told she was totally fine and maybe late on milestones. Well she was totally fine, you would never know now, she also wasn't "late" on milestones she just didn't want to do it, she was lazy. I hope that helps you not to stress so much.
  • @rkang01 I love Scary Mommy!  Thanks for the link :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"