January 2013 Moms

help...sick sucks

i'm sick and i'm miserable....what can i take? i'm pg..
dr isn't calling back :(

last dr apt (last week) dh and dd were sick, so i asked what i could take, and she said tylenol or robitussin...my mom was just at the pharmacy and asked there, and they said i shouldn't take a decongestant and just take regular tylenol...but that's doing jack sh!t for me
i remember taking some sort of tylenol cold medicine last time, but i don't remember which one, but i remember it elevated my bp....and right now my bp is already high....so i don't know

while i'm waiting to hear back, anyone know what i can take? anyone sick and pg too and taking anything?9
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: help...sick sucks

• I was only able to take Tylenol when pregnant but if it's really bad it could be a sinus infection. I was on antibiotics 2x while pregnant for sinus infections. Feel better mama!

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

• When I was sick and pg I took robitussin chest congestion. Then only ingredient is guaifenesin which is an expectorant (cough) and it was safe to take. I also used saline spray up the nose for sinus congestion. Good luck! I hope you feel better soon.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @ambmama just regular straight up tylenol for headaches right? it does nothing for me, not even for headaches....ugh!  it's not an infection....just a cold (omg i hope!) just hit me the other day and woke up worse today so i stayed home...yay sick day without the baby!

@ohaby+2013 i didn't really have a cough until today and even then it's not that bad...i have more of a head cold.....maybe i'll try the saline spray....i hate spraying stuff up my nose though....

ugh...maybe i just suck it up....mom's don't get sick, right? someone has to run the house

• I was sick like that in both my pregnancies, and I was told all I could take was tylenol for comfort, but I discovered the neti-pot in my second pregnancy, and that made the nasal congestion 10x better, and I honestly believe shortened the length of my cold.  

Since giving birth, but still nursing, I got sick again (thanks DS1's DC), and I started taking elderberry syrup.  You can find it in health food stores or the natural foods section of your grocery.  It's really just an immune booster, so I take one dose once a day during cold season, and if I feel like I'm getting run down or a cold coming on, you up it to 4 doses a day.  While the effects of the elderberry syrup and the neti-pot may be anecdotal, I was only sick with a stuffy nose for a few days while DH and DS1 were down for nearly a week with coughs and fevers.  Elderberry syrup is very easy to make, so I make my own now, and it's simply getting some elderberries (safe to have while pregnant) and cooking them down in some distilled or boiled water into a syrup.  I will never go through another cold and flu season without a jar of it in my fridge (it keeps for a really long time). 
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • thanks for the tip @bennikki! i'll go see if i can't find elderberry....we had a health food place near where we used to live...there's not any so close anymore...but i'll see what i can find

• Taylor takes elderberry daily! Even local CVS and some major food stores will have elderberry in the vitamin aisle, @littleheaven

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

• just straight up tylenol or like tylenol cold?
    now I've kinda lost my voice....awesome

• will that make me drowsy?  that's the last thing i need...

thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"