Pregnant after IF
Options

XP: Out of State Baby Shower

I live in FL but I'm originally from Texas. So my family wants to host a Texas shower...I love the idea of inviting my close friends and family there!

Would some you creative ladies have some Theme ideas to reduce the amount of gifts I actually receive at the party. Just looking for practical tips to reduce schlepping gifts home from across the country? I think most of the people are wise enough to ship something bulky directly to my home but you never know.

I do not want to appear ungrateful so I'd rather not limit too much, but I'm thinking maybe a kid's Book party? Is that crazy? I'm sure this has probably been addressed already so I apologize in advance (i tried to search it)

Thanks!

My heart is as open as the sky.
Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: XP: Out of State Baby Shower

• Options
    A storybook theme is a great idea. Also not sure of the timing but if that's the first shower you are having you could wait to put some of the large/heavy items on the registry until after the shower assuming you would be having a shower in FL too.

**Signature Warning**

TTC since July 2013
    DX: Unexplained or possibly DOR and DH 2% morph
    3 IUIs May-July: all BFN
    IVF Sept 2014: 12R 10M 8F, 5 day eSET 9/15, 4 frosties
    Beta #1 353, Beta #2 651, EDD June 3

TRUST in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

• Options
    Would your friends actually travel to TX for a baby shower? I don't think many of mine would. Regardless, I adore the idea of a book shower, and I think that's what work people will be doing for me. You won't be in charge of making the invitations, but you could suggest that a note be put in saying that bigger gifts shouldn't be brought, and that a card with a pic of the gift is a good stand in. However, this might defy etiquette.

Not sure how active the Baby Shower board is here, but you could try asking there. I got good answers to a question I recently posed.
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks , @pblge & No it would be a separate shower in Texas and another here in FL. I cross posted on the Shower Board, I hope one of them has some poetic way of graciously reminding folks to direct ship to my FL address when possible.

Good point @turquoisequeen ! I will def remove the bulky boxed items for the registry just in case

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks , @pblge & No it would be a separate shower in Texas and another here in FL. I cross posted on the Shower Board, I hope one of them has some poetic way of graciously reminding folks to direct ship to my FL address when possible.

Good point @turquoisequeen ! I will def remove the bulky boxed items for the registry just in case
    Aha! That makes more sense. :)
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    actually, after reviewing the comments I think I'll just pray for the best and ship what I can't carry. It will be an intimate party anyway so I'm sure the hostess will be able to speak to everyone prior and politely make suggestions re: heavy items.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had the same thing come up with DS. My family had a shower back home 8 hours away from where I live now. We drove for a long weekend, but I realize it's longer from FL to TX. Guests were aware of this and shipped most of the big gifts. Some others also shipped gifts and put pics in the card. I'm sure the hostess might be able to make that suggestion where it's close family and friends.

MC Sept '10, MC Dec '10, DS born 2012

Clomid + TI = BFP #1 March '13, MC April '13

Gonal F + trigger + IUI #1 = BFP #2 10/21/13, MC 10/31/13

Gonal F + trigger + IUI #2 = BFP #3 1/16/14, ectopic w/ heartbeat & rt salpingectomy 1/29/14

IVF #1 - ER 5/9/14 transfer cx'd due to high P4

FET #1 -  6/26/14 transferred 1 AA blast BFP!! Beta #1 13dp5dt - 1548 Beta #2 15dp5dt - 2748 Beta #3 18dp5dt - 7586

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree- have the hostess politely say if you plan to buy a large item, ship it directly to you.

In regards to books, for my shower with my son, my sister had this cute poem that basically said instead of a card, bring a book- most cards are $3-5, so you can easily find a book for that much. It was a great idea, it really built up his little library. People liked the idea too because a card would just end up in the garbage. Everyone wrote a little note in the book too.

My History:
    Lots of BFN's & failed IUI's w/clomid and/or femara
    Finally BFP with femara & t.i.- son born 6/17/2010
    Started TTC again around when DS was 3ish
    Lots of BFN's with femara & t.i & ovidrel
    Tubes clear, S.A came back low motility but high count
    About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.
  • Options
    You could also just put gift cards on your registry or have the hostess say something to that effect on the invites...mom is travelling, please keep this in mind? I've never been great with etiquette...I'm more about practicality and wouldn't personally be offended by that suggestion if I were a guest. Just sayin
    Married 2007
    3 Clomid IUIs -- BFNs
    IVF #1 never made it to transfer
    On "egg health" cocktail DHEA/CoQ10/FRC/Pregnitude/Melatonin
    Starting IVF #2 for Feb 2013
    Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix
    Cancelled mid-cycle due to high P4 levels early on.
    OCPs again for IVF 2.5 mid-March. IVF 2.5 transferred two "gorgeous" 5-day blasts and BFFN. Even REI is baffled
    On indefinite hold until a huge stroke of serendipity led me to IVF 3 May 2014
    Testing found positive cardiolipins/APS, now on lovenox and intralipid infusions
    Transfer of 2 5-day blasts and (FINALLY) BFFP!! 1st ultrasound shows two sacs and two HB, but one is sluggish, almost expecting vanishing twin Subsequent ultrasound confirmed vanishing twin, but my other Little critter looks fantastic!
    "You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it."
    -- Margaret Thatcher

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"